New York Tombstone Transcription Project
Moriah, Essex County, New York
- This cemetery was transcribed September 2000 by Paul Reese, who currently owns the property where this small family cemetery is located.
- He wrote: "While I have no relatives in the area, I do own the old Walton farm just north of Port Henry on the Westport Road. This week I walked into the Walton Cemetery just south of the Elk Inn road. The cemetery is abandoned and completely over grown. Many stones are broken and difficult to read. However, I photographed all that I found and took notes. I will attempt to correlate this information with the data on the title search to my property. I am interested in discovering any information about the Walton Homestead and related families."
John WALTON Born Oct. 20, 1776 Died Aug 1, 185
Katharine Wife of John WALTON and daughter of John and Mary MILLER, Philadelphia City Died March 5, 183  (NOTE: This may be her age.)
Mary Ann Wife of Theron S. GOFF and daughter John & Catherine WALTON Died April 14, 1842 Age 26 years 11 mo 8 days
(NOTE: My title lists Frances A. Goff as a daughter of Thomas Walton. She is listed as renouncing any claim to the estate following the Sept 18, 1893 death of Thomas Walton. In the same document the name is spelled "Gough".)
Lovicy Wife of James FOWLER Died Feb. 10, 1819 in her 55 year
Rosemonde Daughter of Bryant & Em?? SUMNER Died Dec 27, 1850 age 5 mo 15 days
Polly Daughter of Thomas & [Eliza] LOCKE Died Aug 24, 1834 Age 9 mo & 18 days
Charles Son of ?? ?? LOCKE Died Dec 9,  (NOTE: This stone is next to Polly and probably an infant of the same couple.)
The following information comes from property deeds:
- My deed shows the transfer of property from "Ralph Walton and Katharine Walton, his wife to Thomas Walton" in 1832. I speculate that this Ralph is the same as John. Perhaps Ralph John or John Ralph.)
- Another deed shows the "William Walton and Achsah Walton, his wife to Thomas Walton dated June 4th, 1851."
- In 1854 "Thomas Walton and Laura Walton, his wife" gave a "Quit-Claim Deed" to the Cheever Ore Bed Company.
- In 1865 "Thomas Walton and Laura Walton, his wife" conveyed property to Elizabeth Walton.
Thomas Walton died Sept 11, 1893. His children are listed as:
Emma M. Collins, daughter
Charles T. Walton, a son (unmarried)
Anna L. Walton, a daughter
Josie H. Hopper, a daughter
Frances A. Goff, a daughter