New York Tombstone Transcription Project
Rugar Street Cemetery
Plattsburgh, Clinton County, New York
- This cemetery was transcribed by Hulda Bredenberg and Woody McLellan on July 23, 1949.
- McLellan wrote "Neglected private graveyard about 300 yards
east of Rugar Street, outside of city limits of Plattsburgh. Wire fence,
- 1963 note: now just outside right-of-way of the Northway, on the east side of it.
- These records are part of what is known as the McLellan Cemetery Records. Beginning in 1933, Hugh McLellan, his son, Charles Woodbury “Woody” McLellan, and his daughter-in-law, Hulda (Bredenburg) McLellan traveled to various cemeteries throughout Clinton County copying the inscriptions from cemetery stones. Upon his death, these records were to have been donated to Cornell University. However, Dr. Allan Everest of SUNY Plattsburgh convinced the McLellan family to keep the records locally, and they were eventually donated to SUNY Plattsburgh. Complete sets of these records are also available at the Plattsburgh Public Library, the Clinton County Historian's office in Plattsburgh, and the Northern New York American-Canadian Genealogical Society in Keeseville, New York. Each Town Historian has a copy of their segment as well.
- It was typed by Joyce M. Ranieri in September 2005. McLellan used a / to
represent a line break. That formatting has been retained in this
- 5 Stones, 5 Persons
- Many thanks to Arnold "Red" Jubert, Plattsburgh Town Historian, for his assistance in making these records available online.
Gideon RUGAR / Born / Sept. 27, 1806, / Died / Apr. 6, 1895. /
Sarah WILEY / His Wife / Born / Dec. 11, 1810, / Died / Apr. 27, 1893. /
(NOTE: two above on one base)
John A. RUGER, / Died / Oct. 10, 1854, / aged 24 years / & 7 mo's. /
My soul now safe in Jesus Arms, /
is free from lifes tempestous storms. /
Jennett, / Daughter of / G. & S. RUGAR, / Died Dec. / 12, 1844. / Aged 20 Mo. / & 14 Ds. /
Footstone: J.R. /
Mary / Wife of / Gideon RUGAR / Died / May 4, 1848 / Aged 95 Years / 8 Mo & 10 Days. /
Source: McLellan Cemetery Records