New York Tombstone Transcription Project
Plattsburgh, Clinton County, New York
- McLellan wrote "A completely overgrown and uncared for family cemetery. Shown on Beer's Atlas in School District #7, on the east side of the road."
- This cemetery was copied by Woody McLellan on Aug. 11, 1940.
- It was typed by Joyce M. Ranieri in September 2005. McLellan used a / to
represent a line break. That formatting has been retained in this
- These records are part of what is known as the McLellan Cemetery Records. Beginning in 1933, Hugh McLellan, his son, Charles Woodbury “Woody” McLellan, and his daughter-in-law, Hulda (Bredenburg) McLellan traveled to various cemeteries throughout Clinton County copying the inscriptions from cemetery stones. Upon his death, these records were to have been donated to Cornell University. However, Dr. Allan Everest of SUNY Plattsburgh convinced the McLellan family to keep the records locally, and they were eventually donated to SUNY Plattsburgh. Complete sets of these records are also available at the Plattsburgh Public Library, the Clinton County Historian's office in Plattsburgh, and the Northern New York American-Canadian Genealogical Society in Keeseville, New York. Each Town Historian has a copy of their segment as well.
- 9 Stones, 9 Persons
- Many thanks to Arnold "Red" Jubert, Plattsburgh Town Historian, for his assistance in making these records available online.
Chester BALCH, / Born / July 26, / 1796, / Died / June 30, 1875. /
Lucy S. BALCH, / Wife of / Chester BALCH, / Died May 21, 1842, / In the 43 year / of her age. /
Mary W. BALCH, / Daughter of / Chester & Lucy / BALCH, / died Oct. 15, / 1846; / Aged 21 yr's. 7 mo. / & 21 ds. /
Celestia E. / Daughter of / Chester & Lucy / BALCH, / Died April 1, 1842 /
In the 16 year / of her age. /
Eliza Ann BALCH, / Daughter of / Chester & Lucy / BALCH, / died April 24, / 1847 / AE. 15 yrs. & 3 mo. /
Lucy S. / Daughter of / Chester & Lucy / BALCH, / died Feb. 1st 1839 / aged 4 years / 9 months / and 18 days. /
Delia M. / Daughter of / Chester & Lucy / BALCH / Died May 11 / 1842; / Aged 2 weeks. /
Henry BALCH, / Died / Sept. 7, 1907, / AE. 62. /
In memory of / Mrs. Caroline E. BANKER, / wife of / John M. BANKER / and daughter of / Chester and Lucy BALCH, / who died June, / 8th 1842, / aged 19 years / 6 months / and 26 days. /
Source: McLellan Cemetery Records