New York Tombstone Transcription Project
French Protestant Cemetery - Perrys Mills
Champlain, Clinton County, New York
- This cemetery was transcribed by Hugh McLellan on Nov. 24, 1935.
- McLellan wrote: "About a mile south-east of the Perrys Mills Cemetery, on a farm formerly owned by Fry Clark, and near the farm buildings, are the remains of this French Protestant Cemetery. Only one stone was standing in 1935; the others are scattered. No dates appear on any of the stones. (On Lot #40, Smith & Graves Patent.)
- These records are part of what is known as the McLellan Cemetery Records. Beginning in 1933, Hugh McLellan, his son, Charles Woodbury “Woody” McLellan, and his daughter-in-law, Hulda (Bredenburg) McLellan traveled to various cemeteries throughout Clinton County copying the inscriptions from cemetery stones. Upon his death, these records were to have been donated to Cornell University. However, Dr. Allan Everest of SUNY Plattsburgh convinced the McLellan family to keep the records locally, and they were eventually donated to SUNY Plattsburgh. Complete sets of these records are also available at the Plattsburgh Public Library, the Clinton County Historian's office in Plattsburgh, and the Northern New York American-Canadian Genealogical Society in Keeseville, New York. Each Town Historian has a copy of their segment as well.
- 4 Stones, 5 Persons
Infant sons of / John CARTE /
Sally Ann / LAFOUNTAIN / 3 Y's. /
Harriet / MANOR / AE 18 yr's /
Geo. MONETTE / Co. H. / 60th N.Y. Inf. /