A transcript of the Marriage (Prohibited Degrees of Relationship) Act, 1931. 21 & 22 Geo. 5.
An Act to amend the Law relating to marriage of persons with their nephew or niece by marriage. [31st. July 1921.]
BE it enacted by the King’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows :-
1.-(1) Section one of the Deceased Wife’s Sister's Marriage Act, 1907,
(hereinafter referred to as "the principal Act"), shall have effect
as if there were inserted therein after the words "or between an man and
his deceased brother's widow" the words "or between a man and any of
the following persons ; that is to say :-
"(1) his deceased wife's brother's daughter ;
"(2) his deceased wife's sister's daughter ;
"(3) his father's deceased brother's widow ;
"(4) his mother's deceased brother's widow ;
"(5) his deceased wife's father's sister ;
"(6) his deceased wife's mother's sister ;
"(7) his brother's deceased son's widow ;
"(8) his sister's deceased son's widow."
(2) Section four of the principal Act shall have effect as if there were therein substituted for the words "with his deceased wife's sister or his deceased brother's widow" the words "which would have been void or voidable but for the provisions of this Act as amended by any subsequent enactment."
(3) The principal Act shall, so far as it relates to marriages authorised by this Act, have effect as though it had been passed at the date of the passing of this Act.
2. Section one hundred and eighty-four of the Supreme Court of Judicature
(Consolidation) Act, 1925 (which relates to the re-marriage of divorced
persons), shall have effect as if for the proviso to subsection (1) thereof
there were substituted the following proviso (that is to say) :-
"Provided that it shall not be lawful for a man to contract any marriage which, upon the decease of any person, would be authorised by the Marriage (Prohibited Degrees of Relationship) Acts, 1907 to 1931, (as amended by any subsequent enactment) but which would otherwise have been void or voidable by reason of affinity, during the lifetime of that person."
3.-(1) This Act may be cited as the Marriage (Prohibited Degrees of
Relationship) Act, 1931, and this Act and the Marriage (Prohibited Degrees of
Relationship) Acts, 1907 to 1931.
(2) References in this Act to the principal Act shall be construed as references to that Act as amended by the Deceased Brother's Widow's Marriage Act, 1921, and this Act shall be construed as one with those Acts.
(3) Subsection (3) of section one of the Deceased Brother's Widow's Marriage Act, 1921, is hereby repealed.
(4) This Act shall not apply to
Copyright Guy Etchells © 2002 All rights reserved.
Permission is granted for all free
personal and non-commercial uses. It is my intention to make all data
contained herein freely available for all private, non-profit and
non-commercial uses. Commercial use of any portion contained herein is