Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Nether Broughton

 

Extract from White's Leicester and Rutland Directory 1877

NETHER BROUGHTON parish is in Framland Hundred, Melton Mowbray Union and County Court District, and in 1871 contained 405 persons, living in 91 houses, on 2110 acres of land, which is a fertile clay, and well adapted for pasturage. Nether Broughton village, on the Nottingham and Melton Mowbray road, 6 miles North North West of the latter town, is picturesquely situated, and nearly surrounded by the hills which form the Vale of Belvoir. Philip Pleydell Bouverie, Esq., is owner of a great part of the soil, and the rest chiefly belongs to David New, Esq., the trustees of George Urrey, Esq., and Thomas Black, Esq. The CHURCH (St. Mary), which consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, and tower containing three bells, was repewed and thoroughly restored in 1848, at a cost of about £600. The pulpit and reading-desk are of carved oak, and the floor within the Communion rails is laid with encaustic tiles. The living, a rectory, valued in KB. at £11 5s. 71/2d., and now at £397, is in the gift of Philip Pleydell Bouverie, Esq., and now held by the Rev. Philip Deedes, who has 266A. 1R. 37P. of land, awarded at the enclosure in 1764, in lieu of all the tithes. The WESLEYANS have a chapel, built in 1839, and repaired in 1875, at the cost of £65. A small NATIONAL SCHOOL was built in 1845, and chiefly supported by the rector. A SCHOOL BOARD has been formed for this parish and that of Upper Broughton; and a handsome and commodious school, with master's residence, is now approaching completion. The Poor's Land, 1A. 2R. 21P., let for £4, was allotted at the enclosure in lieu of land purchased in 1682, with £40 left by Samuel Wray and Thomas Wright. The poor have also the interest of £5 left by an unknown donor.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Benjamin Payne's. Letters are received at 9.30 am., and despatched at 4.45 p.m., viā Melton Mowbray, but Long Clawson is the nearest Money Order Office.

Bailey Frederick, bootmaker
Binks Miss Jane, shopr. & drssmkr
Bishop Matthew, farmer and grazier, The Old Grange
Bissill Joseph Wright, grazier
Black Thomas Bret, farmer & grazier
Bowley Mrs Sarah, baker
Bowley William, corn miller & grzr
Brannston Thomas, grzr. The Lodges
BrexThomas, grazier
Brooks John. bootmaker
Burrows William, grazier
Crafts John, grazier
Deedes Rev Philip, rector
Drake Thomas, farmer and grazier
East John, farmer, grazier, and horse dealer
Edlin Thomas Banney, grazier
Everett John, grazier
Goodman William, coal dealer
Greaves Alfred, farmer and grazier, The Lodges

Greaves Edward, grazier
Green Joseph, baker
Grice Henry, grazier
Harvey John, butcher
Harvey Mrs Mary, grazier and victualler, Red Lion
Hatton William, former and grazier
Hopkin Edward, grazier
Hopkin William, steam thrashing machine proprietor, and hop and oil cake merchant
Lovett Edward, tailor, grazier, and cheese factor
Lovett William, grocer and grazier
Marriott Wm. grazier
Milnes Charles, bricklayer & contrctr
Milnes Charles, jun. bricklayer and contractor
Payne Benj. bootmaker & postmaster
Payne Joseph, grazier
Peters Thomas, grazier
Pick Thomas, grazier and carpenter

Shelton Mrs Elizabeth, farmer and grazier, The Lodges
Shelton Robert, farmer and grazier, The Lodges
Skinner John, grocer and ale and porter merchant
Skinner Thomas, baker
Smith Henry, grazier, butcher, and victualler, The Anchor
Taylor John, grazier
Urry Mrs Hannah, farmer and grazier, The Lodges
Walton John, grazier
Welden Mr John
Wilford John, farmer, grazier, and joiner and builder
Willoughby William. grazier
Woodroffe Thomas, glazier
Woolley Peter, farmer and grazier
Wright John, farmer and grazier, Old Grange

Copyright Guy Etchells © 2000-04 All rights reserved.

Permission is granted for all free personal and non-commercial uses. It is my intention to make all data contained herein freely available for all private, non-profit and non-commercial uses. Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.