Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Hose Village Map

 

 Extract from White's Leicester and Rutland Directory 1877

HOSE, a parish and village, pleasantly situated in the Vale of Belvoir, on the banks of a rivulet, half a mile S. of the Grantham Canal, and 7 miles N. of Melton Mowbray, in Framland Hundred, Melton Mowbray., Union and County Court District, in 1871 contained 403 persons, living in 94 houses, on 2140 acres of land. The parish, which has a rateable value of 3332 18s. 9d., is intersected by the Canal, on which there is a wharf here, and it is bounded on the north by Nottinghamshire. The soil is chiefly a fertile clay, and the surface flat. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor, formerly called Howes or Hoche ; but a great part of the soil belongs to Thomas D. Hall, John and George Crompton, and Samuel Burton, Esqrs., and Miss Elizabeth Linney. In 1473 it was held as part of Segrave manor, and several portions of it were held by Belvoir Priory, Leicester Abbey, and Croxton Abbey. The Church (St. Michael) is an ancient structure consisting of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, containing three bells, and was partly repaired and the bells recast in 1857, at a cost of 93. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at 7 2s. 6d., and now at 105, being augmented with 200 of Q.A.B. in 1808, and having 45 acres of glebe. The Rev. John Bradshaw, M.A., of Granby, is incumbent, and the Duke of Rutland is patron and also impropriator of the rectorial tithes, which were commuted (as well as the small tithes) for allotments of land at the enclosure in 1792. The BAPTIST CHAPEL built here in 1818, and enlarged in 1841, is licensed for marriages. The NATIONAL SCHOOL, on the south side of the church, built by subscription in 1845, was enlarged in 1875, at a coast of 200, of which 92 was given by the Duke of Rutland, and the rest raised by a rate. There is a house for the teacher attached to the school. The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 20s. out of the Town Close, left by Robert Hickling in 1729, and the interest of 65 left by William Shilcock and other donors, and now vested with William Shilcock, Esq., of Frisby, to whose family there are four monumental tablets in the church. The parish feast is on the Sunday before Michaelmas.

POST via Melton Mowbray; but Harby is the nearest Money Order Office. There is a WALL LETTER BOX, cleared at 4.15 p.m.

Barlow James, farmer and grazier
Bradehaw Rev John, M.A. vicar; h Granby
Brown James, bootmaker
Burton Samuel, fmr. & grzv. The Villa
Clay William, grocer and draper
Coleman Beaumont, farmer & grazier
Corner Miss Fanny
Corner John, blacksmith
Corner Robert, farmer and grazier
Garratt Mrs Hannah
Glenn Miss Fanny, milliner & drsmkr
Glenn Mr John
Glenn William, grazier and monumental mason
Goodson Samuel, farmer and grazier
Green William, baker
Hives Mrs Catherine, grazier
Hourd Mrs Eliz. farmer and grazier
Hourd Joseph, farmer and grazier
Hourd Thomas, farmer

Huckerby Francis, grazier & parish clk
Huckerby Thomas, farmer and grazier
Jeeson Edward, grocer, draper & tailor
Kemp Thomas, clock & watch cleaner and pikelet baker
Lamin Miss Jane Ann, farmer and grazier
Littler William, joiner and builder
Mantle Henry, grocer and draper
Mantle John, grocer and grazier
Marriott Mrs Sarah
Morley William, farm bailiff
NaIl Mrs Mary Ann, victualler, Rose and Crown
Pears Thomas, farmer and grazier and victualler, Black Horse
Piggins William, farmer and grazier,
J Rouse John, farmer and grazier
Rouse Wallace, farmer and grazier
Shilcock Henry, farmer and grazier

Shilcock William, farmer and grazier, The Grange
Shipman William, farmers and corn miller, Harby
Spencer John, bootmaker
Stevenson Joseph, farmer and grazier Mount Pleasant
Stokes Mrs Catherine
Stokes Christopher, bootmaker
Stokes John, farmer and grazier
Stokes Reuben, joiner and builder
Stubbs Mrs Frances, butter factor
Stubbs William, coal mert. & carrier
Sumner Miss Ann, farmer and grazier
Wilford James, bootmaker
Wilford James Corner, grazier
Wilson John, schoolmaster

CARRIER-William Stubbs, to Melton, Tuesday, and Nottingham, Wedensday and Saturday

 

Extract from The Parliamentary Gazetteer
of
England and Wales (1840 - 1843)

HOSE or HOWSE, a parish in Framland hund., union of Melton-Mowbray, Leicestershire ; 7 miles north of Melton-Mowbray, in the line of the Grantham canal. Living a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Leicester and dio. of Lincoln, now in the dio. of Peterborough ; rated at 7 2s. 6d., and returned at 105 ; gross income 105. Patron, in 1835, the Duke of Rutland. Here are 2 daily schools. Charities, in 1837, 4 5s. per annum. Poor rates in 1838, 105 8s. Acres 2,140. Houses 73. A. P. 3,025. Pop., in 1801, 264; in 1831, 385.

 

Copyright Guy Etchells 2000-04 All rights reserved.

Permission is granted for all free personal and non-commercial uses. It is my intention to make all data contained herein freely available for all private, non-profit and non-commercial uses. Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.