PARIS Part 1 of 2
Go to Part 2
An incorporated town, beautifully situated on the Governor's Road, in the townships of Brantford and South Dumfries- is the second place in population and importance in the county. It is divided into the upper and lower town by Smith's Creek, which here enters the Grand River. This town was laid out in 1831, by Hiram Capron, Esq., and surveyed by Lewis Burwell, Esq. P.L.S., when lots sold for 10 dollar. In 1850 it contained a population of about one thousand and was incorporated as a village. In 1855 it was incorporated as a town. Paris was so named by Hiram Capron Esq., from its contiguity to beds of Gypsum or Plaster of Paris. The first plaster mill was built in 1823, by William Holmes Esq.. The post office was established in 1831. The first hotel was built in 1831 by John Vanevery Esq. Hiram Capron Esq., built the first grist mill in 1832. There is one school- grammar and common- situated in Queen's Ward, Paris and Dundas Road, built in 1857, at a cost of $ 14,200. There are four teachers- J. W. Acres, principal. The Great Western Railway passes along the northern end of the town. The Buffalo and Goderich section of the Grand Trunk Railway also passes through it. Mails received daily. Paris is situated in the center of one of the most fertile regions in Ontario.
The Paris star was established in June, 1850 by B. C. Hearle Esq.. From that time up to 1855 it passed through several hands and was then carried on by Messrs. Oliver and Powell. The former ceased to have connection with it in 1857 and the latter became sole proprietor in 1859. Politics, reform.
The Paris Town Hall was built of brick in 1853 - costs about 12 thousand dollars. Architect John Maxwell. Situated in Queens ward, Upper Town - surrounded by Dumfries, Church, and Burwell Streets.
There are several manufactories now carried on successfully in Paris, of which mention may be made of the new Paris mill, C. Whitlaw proprietor. This mill is 180 feet long by 45 wide, two stories high, containing 6 run of stone propelled by water and employment is given to large number of hands, about two thousand barrels of flour are turned out per week.
The old Paris mill, George T. Florey proprietor, is four stories high, of frame, with stone basement 60 by 30 feet and contains 4 run of stone propelled by water. About 150 barrels of flour are manufactured daily.
There is a custom grist mill on the flats - carried on by Alexander Henderson. The building is brick, three stories high and 40 by 25 feet. The mill contains two run of stone, propelled by water power.
In the manufacture of plaster, J W Coleman employs about 80 hands, and turns out about 10 thousand tons per annum. The works have been established over twenty years. The premises are built of brick, and the machinery propelled by water power.
The manufacture of tobacco is here carried on extensively by Messrs Brown, Dickson & Co., who employ from 20 to 30 hands in the manufacture of plug tobacco. The factory is two stories high, and 40 by 60 feet. It is situated on Dumfries Street.
Cooperage - Whitlaw's Cooperage, under the management of Mr. D. Finlayson, is a large frame building, 80 feet long, by 26 feet wide. Fourteen hands are here employed, and about fifty thousand barrels turned of annually.
The Paris Foundry and Machine Shop is carried on by Messrs. Maxwell & Whitlaw. The buildings are frame, being 30 feet wide and 200 feet long, and for 120 feet in length are two stories high. Water power is used to propel the machinery and about 20 hands find constant employment. Agricultural implements, mill gearing, and every description of castings are turned of here.
Sewing Machines - in the manufacture of this now useful and indispensable machine to every family, the 'British American Manufacturing Sewing Machine Company', established in 1866, are extensively engaged. They now turn out about 500 machines annually; employ 18 hands, and use hydraulic power. The premises are 80 feet long by 30 and three stories high. The works were originally establish by Mr. Barclay. The company claims a greater simplicity in the structure of their machine, and considers the machine superior to any other manufacture. Messrs. Hall, Laing and Totten Directors: D Totten , President: James Laing, secretary.
Leather Manufacturing- Messr. H Finlayson & Co are engaged in the manufacture of leather of various kinds. They employ 5 hands. The business was legally establish established in 1832 by Mr. Macklin.
Pork Packing- Messrs J. M. Whitlaw & Co, have been doing business as pork packers and curers for a number of years. A number of hands are kept employed during the packing season.
Fanning Mills- in this branch of manufactures, Mr. J. E. Mitchell has been established about 30 years. Water power is used, and a number of men employed. The premises are frame.
Knitting Works - The Paris Knitting and Manufacturing Co. , Messrs Penman and Adams, use hydraulic power to the extent of 40 horse and employ one hundred hands. The building is rough cast, 84 feet by 50 feet and four stories high. The factory contains three sets of manufacturing machines and 680 spindles. There is also a steam boiler for dying and heating purposes etc.. All kinds of woolen goods are here turned out to the extent of about $ 70,000 per annum.
Planing Mills- Mr. George Angus, in this branch of industry employs 15 hands-water power is employed to propel the machinery. The building is rough-cast, two stories high, and 66 by 36 feet. Messrs Turnbull & Thompson, in the same line, employ 9 hands, using hydraulic power also. Their building is frame, two stories high, and 70 by 30 feet. Each of the above firms manufactures sash, doors, blinds, mouldings, and engage in building.
Potters - Messrs Schuler & McGlade, employ 6 hands in this business, which has been established about 11 years-at first by Mr. Marlatt. The firm is doing a large trade, and manufacture every description of earthen, flint and enameled ware.
Ahren's pottery was established in 1848 -6 hands are here employed, and goods to the value of about 6 thousand dollars turned out per annum, consisting of flint, enameled and common earthenware.
St. James' Church-the Church of England, is a substantial stone edifice, a transept in the Gothic style of cut stone was added to the church in 1865 by the present incumbent the Rev. Dr. Townley. The cost of the church has been about 500 pounds sterling. It will accommodate 300 persons. There is a large and prosperous Sunday school in connexion.
Church of the Sacred Heart-the Catholic church, dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, was opened for divine service in the year 1857; but in consequence of a heavy debt contracted at the time, the building has remained for several years and in an unfinished states. It is a substantial solid stone edifice, 70 by 45 feet, capable of accompanying 400 persons, and is constructed in the mediaeval style of architecture, of rustic exterior appearance, embellished by ornamental cut stone bordering the doors and Gothic windows. The outside walls are low, as it was intended that the inner was should be elevated so as to admit of a clear story, lighten from above; but this part of the plan, for the want of funds, has been for the present omitted. The chief beauty of the church is displayed in the interior, which is remarkable for its two rows of massive stone pillars, with ornamental capitals, supporting on either side three Gothic arches, besides the grand arch in the center leading into the sanctuary. The ceiling is of polished wood intended to be painted, and the windows which are for the most part temporary ones, are to be all enriched with stained glass. Preparation are already being made to carry these improvements into effect. When the present clergyman assumed charge-some four years ago-the church was not only deeply in debt but the building itself, through neglect, was very much dilapidated. Since that time, aided by the generosity of such gentlemen as D O'Neil & Sons, (who themselves subscribed one thousand dollars) James Maxwell Esq., the Messrs. Skelley, T McGrory, and others who also subscribed most liberally, the reverend gentleman has succeeded not only in liquidating the greater portion of the debt, but also in effecting many desirable repairs and improvements. 'The Ladies Altar Society' recently established, is contributing handsomely to the interior decoration. They have already procured, among the ornaments, 14 lithographic paintings of the Stations of the Cross representing scenes in the life of our Redeemer, and the first stained glass window is marked as the gifts of the same society. The cabinet organ lately presented to the church is the gift of the Messr. Maginn of Burford. Rev Father Dowling is the resident priest. He is also in charge of a congregation in Galt, so that he officiates in Paris church only every alternate Sunday on which days high mass is celebrated at 10:30 a.m. Sunday school is held at 2:30 p.m. and Vespers at 3:30 p.m.
Separate school -The Catholic Separate school is taught in the building formally used as a church. The school is conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph. The average attendance of pupils is between sixty and seventy.
Canada Presbyterian Church- this church is situated on Dumfries street. The church is large and will seat comfortably650 persons. This is one of the oldest congregations in the town and was originally organized in 1836 by Rev. G Murray. The congregation now numbers two hundred and seventy members under the pastoral charge of the Rev. John James.
The Congregational Church building is situated on Congregational Square fronting the south. it is a substantial but unpretending brick building, capable of seating 300, with a lecture room behind. It is plain and comfortable in the interior, heated from beneath with hot air apparatus. A small but sweet toned organ is in the gallery and the lecture room is well hung around with missionary maps. The church is prosperous, though not numerous, is influential and gradually increasing. They own a beautiful and accommodating parsonage, situated on the same square. The present pastor, Rev W H Allworth, was settled over them in 1865, successor of Rev E Ebbs of Ottawa city. This church in proportion to its numbers is liberal, and not without reason is full of hope for the future.
Wesleyan Methodist Church- was erected in the year 1846, and is 65 by 38 feet, framed, rough cast, regional costs three thousand dollars, will seat 500 persons. Present congregation or congregation now in attendance 450 persons. The following ministers have officiated in this church:-from 1850 to 1853 Rev Edwin Clement; from 1853 to 1855, Rev Joseph Shepley; from 1855 to 1858 Revs O H Ellsworth and Thos Jeffery; from 1858 to 1860, Rev Peter Kerr and Wm Hay; from 1860 to 1863, Revs W S Griffin, Richard Potter, Wm Hayhurst, and H. Bartlet; 1863, Revs James Spencer, Samuel Hume, and Thomas Kelly; from 1864 to 1867, Rev John G Laird, G H Bridgeman and G Burson; from 1867 to 1869, Revs John Mills and John F German, M.A.
Primitive Methodist church was built in 1862. It is a frame, the rough cast building, 42 by 32 feet, seated for 200 persons and costs about one thousand dollars. Its membership is about forty, and is gradually on the increase. The Rev A Hepworth is the present officiating minister.
Paris Baptist church- the Baptist church in this town was formed in the year 1843. In the course of the preceding year a chapel was erected, which is now used as a Sunday school and lecture room. In 1864, a neat and commodious brick chapel was built on an eminence overlooking the lower town, and near the site of the former place of worship. With the opening of the new church edifice the pastorate of the present minister, the Rev. Thomas Henderson, commenced.
Baptist Church Edifice Society for the Province of Ontario-president Alexander Mackenzie Esq., M. P. treasurer William Buck Esq., Brantford; secretary Rev. Thomas Henderson, Paris. Subscriptions: - Life Director, 200 dollars; Life Member, 25 dollars; Annual, 1 dollar.
Paris Horticultural Society
Officers-president C Whitlaw; Vice do. C Arnold; secretary H Hart; directors: William Morse, H C Latshaw, John Arnold, N. Hamilton, Hugh Finlayson ,T N Bosworth ,Geo. L Scott ; John Carnie and Joseph Steel.
Paris Mechanics' Institute
Organize April 22, 1841. Incorporated 18th Sept.1867. Containing a library of 1000 volumes. Building destroyed by fire 1867, and rebuild immediately. The reading room is well supplied with magazines and papers. Building belongs to the institute and is free from debt. It is a rough cast 24 by 36, one large room about 16 feet high. Subscribers two dollars a year, and apprentices 50 cents. Classes are organized during the winter months.
President Mr. John Roberts; 1st Vice do, Mr. A Campbell; 2nd do Mr. James Lang; Secretary, Geo L Scott. Managing Committee - Messrs James Reith, John Whitlaw, D R Dickson, A H Baird, Henry Hart, C Whitlaw, J Brown, Dr. Clarke, Dr Lawrence, H Finlayson, John Hall, W Hunter, George Angus, E Fudger, H Thompson, John Smith.
Paris Fire Engine Company No. 1 -1869- Captain James Lang; 1st Lt. George E Hemming; 2nd do P Adams; 1st Engineer Henry Aherns; 2nd do Jno Steel; secretary and treasurer George L Scott.
Fire Engine No.2- Captain, Joseph Shaffer; 1st Lt. Thomas Turner, 2nd do, Gideon Miller; 1st Branchman Guy Marshall; 2nd do, Franklin Miller; 3rd do., Franklin Brockie; Engineer, James Miller; secretary George Hoffman.
Rescue hook and ladder Co. - Captain John Walker; 1st Lt. Hugh Finlayson, Jr; 2nd do John Halliday; 1st foreman, Robert White; 2nd do William Smith; secretary William Hunter; treasurer Thomas McCosh.
Paris Curling Club
Instituted in 1843. Dr. McCosh was the first president. Officers- Chas Whitlaw Esq., Mayor, Patron; Thomas Hall, President John M Whitlaw, Vice President; Jno McCosh, secretary and treasurer. George Denholme and H N Baird representative members. Committee of management- James Reid and John Torrance. Consists of about 30 members and in flourishing condition. Was admitted into the Royal Caledonian Club of Edinburgh in the year 1857.
Paris Cricket Club- Nevill Smith, President; A. M. Bennett, Vice do., John McCosh, secretary and treasurer; A Baird, N Totten and T Blakeney Committee of Management. Established about 1845 is in a very flourishing condition - about 20 members. The ground is situated on the Grand River Road on land given by Hiram Capron Esq. to the club every year.
St. Johns Lodge No.82 Paris - Meetings first Tuesday in every month. Officers for 1868 and 1869 - William S Martin, W M and P M.; R. Scott, S. W.; W. Winter, J. W.; A. Nash, Chaplain; H. Hart, treasurer; W S Wilkinson, secretary; G. Angus, S. D.; H. Penton, J.D.; R. Walker, I. G.; F. C. Slack, Tyler; T. Turner, Director of Ceremonies; T. A. Richards, J. Loughhead, Stewards.
G. W. R., Paris- H. C. Wynn, agent; G. W. Railton, night agent; W. White, freight agent; G. W. Oakley, ticket agent; George Conium baggageman; George Tennant, switchman; A. McIntosh, night switchman; John Wright, checker; J. Kirkness, George Tarrant, J. Robinson, porters.
Grand Trunk Railway- W S Martin agent G T R; R F Evans, freight clerk; J. Dore, telegraph operator, F R Smith, telegraph operator; F Cowls, baggagemaster; B Bauer, switchman; Thomas Millington, freight checker; W Snider, night watchman.
George Stanton, postmaster, h Upper Town; Owen Hitchcox, h Lower Town.
Royal Canadian Bank- N Totten, agent; James G Eddington, accountant
Collector of customs- F H Haycock.
American Express Company-W. Winter, agent; G Perry, assistant.
L. O. L.
L. O. L. 1108-Paris Orange Lodge - meetings are held in their Hall over the post office, first Wednesday in the month, at 8 p.m. established 1860. About 40 members. W J McCommon, W. M.; E Bradwin, Dep. M.; John Hill secretary, W. Fraser, Treasurer; H Griffiths, Foreman of Committee.
Paris to Burford, Scotland, Round Plans and Simcoe. Leaves Simcoe for Paris at eight a.m. arriving at Paris at one, in time for afternoon trains.
No. 1 Company, 38th Battalion, Rifles- Headquarters, Brantford. This company was established 26th June 1856, and was raised by Captain McCartney, now of 100th Regiment. It is the oldest company, and one of the most efficient in the Dominion [of Canada]. Captain, A H Baird; Lt. O Totten; Ensign, W Huson; Sgt-Major R Hubbard. 55 strong.
Mayor: Charles Whitlaw; Reeve: Dr Lawrence; Dy. Reeve, A H Baird. Councillors. - J. Schaffer, W H Capron, L Maus, J Buckley, J H Graham, C Flanagan, H Finlayson, T Hall, A Whitelaw, S Qua, N Smith, C Gurney, Clerk and Treasurer, Thomas N Bosworth; Coroners, Dr. Cook, Dr. Clark; Assessors, Walter Gouinlock; Collector, John Roberts, Constables Jas Rendall chief; George Inksater, Joseph Lamb, S Reynett.
Union Board of School Trustees - Grammar - Rev J James, Rev. J Roberston, Dr. Lawrence, Dr. Clarke, Thomas N Bosworth, Geo L Scott.
Common - J Euckley, W S Martin, D Finlayson, J H Graham, H Finlayson, T Walker, J Roberts, J Smith. Teachers- Grammar School - J W Acres, master and principal of the union schools. Common- C Clarkson, Miss Bullock, Miss Forsyth. Central School Ward Schools, Miss French, Miss Spencer and Miss R French.
|J W Acres||Principal Grammar school h Upper Town|
|Chas Edwin Adams||Clerk (Penman & Adams) bds Emily|
|Peter Adams||Blacksmith & Horse shoer,
Wagon maker, Walnut
|J H Ahrens||Potter, h Mechanic|
|John Allan||Brown, Dickson & C0; h Flats|
|John Allan||Carpenter h Walnut|
|Mrs. Allen||Widow, River|
|Rev W H Allworth||Congregational Minister|
|Mrs. Andrews||Widow, h West|
|Geo Angus||Planing Mill, Flats, h Upper Town|
|Wm Armstrong||Mail Driver, bds River|
|Mrs. Armstrong||Widow, h River|
|Robt Ashman||Bricklayer Upper Town|
|Ed Axten||Joiner h Lower Town|
|Alexr Bain||Clerk, bds Mrs. Chambers, Upper Town|
|A H Baird Deputy Reeve||J M Whitlaw & Co h Broadway & Emily|
|John Baker||Boot & shoemaker, h Lower Town|
|H Ball||Laborer h Queen|
|John Baptie||Tailor h Burwell|
|John Barclay||Machinist h River|
|Robt Barclay||Watchmaker & Jeweler and dealer in fancy goods, River h same|
|J Barker||Wool Sorter Penman & Adams bds N River|
|Geo Battersby||Brown & Battersby, res Simcoe|
|Thos Batty||Tinsmith h Dumfries|
|Wm Batty||Tinsmith h Dumfries|
|J E Beamer||Hair dresser, River|
|Wm Beare||h Broadway|
|Miss M Beare||toys & fancy goods, River h Broadway|
|Geo Beggs||Clerk bds Congregational Square|
|John Beggs||Spinner bds Congregational Square|
|Mrs Beggs||Tailoress h Congregational Square|
|Patrick Coughlin||Carpenter h North River|
|John Craig||Teamster bds Mechanic|
|James Craigie||Mason h River|
|John Cramer||Laborer bds William|
|J S Crane||Mail contractor, h North River|
|R A Cripps||Tobacconist bds Main|
|Mrs. Cripps||Widow h Main|
|Richard Crittenden||h Queen|
|Patrick Croly||Coleman's Mill, h Side Hill|
|Mrs. Daley||Widow, Queen|
|Mrs. Davey||Milliner & Dressmaker, William|
|David S R Dickson||Land and insurance
Agent for Royal Ins Co. h Upper Town & George St Brantford
|James Dickson M.D.||LCRS Ed., surgeon, Medical Referee|
|John M Dickson||Brown, Dickson & Co, Queen|
|Dominion Saloon||J Chambers prop. River|
|Edith Dowling||Milliner bds William|
|Rev Thos J Dowling||R C Priest, Church of the Sacred Heart|
|Thomas Dowling||Cabinet maker h William|
|Dumfries House, Mechanic||Thos Gray prop|
|Andrew Dunlop||Saddler wks at Flanagan's, h North River|
|Mrs. Dunn||Widow h North River|
|Jas G Eddington||Accountant Royal Canadian Bank, River|
|Joseph Ellison||Miner, bds Queen's Arms Inn|
|James England||Cooper h William|
|Elizabeth Evans||Seamtress, h Lower Town|
|Richard Evans||Polisher, BASM Co., West River|
|Thomas Evans||Cooper, h North River|
|William Evans||Shoemaker, h North River|
|William Evans||Shoemaker h West River|
|J S Fagan||Japanner, BASM Co. h cor River & William|
|Farmers' Exchange Hotel||Mechanic, R Storr, prop|
|David Fawcet||Clerk, Paris Station P O|
|Geo Henry Fawkes||Watchmaker & Jeweler River, h Emily|
|Wm Ferguson||Clerk, bds nr Paris Station|
|Donald Finlayson||Cooper, Whitlaw, h Walnut|
|Hugh Finlayson||M P , h Dumfries|
|Hugh P Finlayson||Saddler, Dumfries|
|Jas Finlayson||Machinist h. Flats|
|James Finlayson||h Walnut|
|John Finlayson||Fancy Goods & Stationery, River, h Walnut|
|Wm Finlayson||Currier (Finlayson & Co. ) h Dumfries|
|H Finlayson & Co||Tanners, River|
|Jas Finney||Carpenter h River|
|Robt Fisher||Shoemaker, h Dumfries|
|Bernard Fitzmaurice||Potter, bds West River|
|Michael Fitzmaurice||Mason, h North River|
|Charles Flannigan||Saddler, h Charlotte|
|P H Fleming||Wagon maker, Mechanic|
|Edward Fletcher||Laborer, Dumfries|
|George T Florey||Miller, old Paris mills bds Gore Hotel|
|Mrs. Flueling||prop Queen's Arms Hotel|
|Elias P Forsyth||Tailor h Burwell|
|Miss Forsyth||4th grade teacher, common school|
|Wm Fraser||Plasterer, bds Queen's Arms Hotel|
|Adam Freehauf||Clerk, bds J Lougheed, Paris Station|
|Wm French||Tinsmith bds Dumfries|
|Miss R French||School Teacher|
|Miss S French||School teacher bds River|
|Edward Fudger||Wood & Fudger h Burwell|
|Harris Fudger||Clerk bds Burwell|
|Peter Garson||Laborer, h Burwell|
|James Getty||Teamster, h Queen|
|James Gilbert||J M Whitlaw & Co h Lower Town|
|John Gilbert||Laborer h North River|
|Mrs. Giles||Seamstress h Burwell|
|Alexander Gill||Foreman Coleman's plasterer
|Gleason's Hotel||Lyman Gleason prop, Paris Station|
|Wm Golds||Carpenter h Bold|
|Gore Hotel||R Sinclair prop River|
|Gore Hotel Stables||Jas Palmer River|
|James Gouans||Gardener h River|
|Walter Gouinlock||Groceries, provisions River h same|
|Walter Gouinlock Jr||Clerk bds River|
|J H Graham||Tailor, book seller River, h Upper Town|
|Thos Graham||Hair Dresser River h Upper Town|
|John Granton||Grocer & provision dealer h Dumfries|
|Thos Gray||prop Dumfries House, Mechanic|
|Michael Green||Paris Hotel|
|Mrs. Mary Green||Widow bds North River|
|H Greenfield||Machinist BASM Co. h Main|
|Wm. Gunn||Butcher h North River|
|Rev Geo Haigh||Primitive Methodist minister h Queen|
|John Hall||Salesman bds Upper Town|
|Thomas Hall||Dry Goods, River h Upper TOwn|
|John Halliday||Joiner h Flats|
|Hugh Hamilton||Cooper h Walnut|
|Hugh Hamilton||Cooper bds Walnut|
|Norman Hamilton||J. P. River|
|William Hamilton||Cooper bds Walnut|
|Charles Hannagan||Harness Maker River h Charlotte|
|Ed Harbin||Retired h Queen|
|William Harp||Saddler h River|
|Henry Hart||Solicitor, conveyancer, notary public|
|Henry Havill||Carpenter h River|
|Henry Havill||Carpenter h Burwell|
|James Havill||Carpenter h Queen|
|H J Hawkins||Carpenter h River|
|Hiram Hawkins||Carpenter & House Joiner, Queen|
|George Hayden||Painter, River h nr Railroad Bridge|
|Wm Hayes||Saddler, h Uppertown|
|David Hays||ostler with Palmer|
|F H Hazell||Tailor bds Walnut|
|G E Heming||at J M Whitlaw & Co, h Broadway|
|George Hemming||Butcher h Broadway|
|Alex Henderson||Grist Mill prop Flats|
|George Henderson||Blacksmith, North River|
|John Henderson||Carder Penman & Adams|
|John Henderson||Cameron & Montgomery & Co; bds Dumfries|
|Rev Thomas Henderson||Minister of Baptist Church, West|
|Alexander Hewson||Cooper h Burwell|
|Wm Hewson||Shoemaker h Upper Town|
|John Hill||Potter; Ahren's Pottery|
|Joshua Hill||Miner, bds Queen's Arms Inn|
|Thomas Hill||Lumber Merchant, Broadway|
|James Hitchox||Miller Flats|
|Owen Hitchox||Telegraph operator & clerk post office|
|George Hoffman||Hoffman & Co h Market|
|Hoffman & Co||Groceries, dry goods, boots,
|Wm Holland||Painter h River|
|John Holliday||Carpenter, h Walnut|
|Mrs. Holmes||Widow, River|
|John Howe||Tinsmith h Dumfries|
|Rev James Howie||Minister Canada Presbyterian Church|
|Samuel Hull||Carpenter, bds Mr Angus|
|George Hunter||Tailor h Flats|
|Wm Hunter||Mason, bds Burwell|
|Edward Hutton||Moulder h Walnut|
|George Hutton||Moulder Paris Foundry|
|William Hutton||Moulder bds Walnut|
|William Hutton||Farmer, wks J Hill's|
|William Hymers||Miner h River|
|George Inksater||Boot & Shoe maker, Post Office Block|
|F E Jackson||Salesman bds Queen's Hotel|
|Thomas Jackson||Shoemaker h North River|
|Thomas Jackson||Shoemaker Lower Town|
|Rev John James||Minister Canada Presbyterian Church|
|William James||Laborer h Arnold|
|A Jamieson||Stonecutter h Dumfries|
|Mrs. Jamieson||Widow h Dumfries|
|John Jennings||Potter, Paris Pottery, Capron's Block|
|T B Johnston||Professor of Writing, bds Canadian Hotel|
|Wm Johnston||Painter h River|
|Alexr Kay||Engineer h Arnold|
|David Kay||Machinist, Paris factory h Flats|
|John Kay||Joiner h Walnut|
|David Kay||Carpenter h Walnut|
|Elizabeth Kay||Seamstress h Upper Town|
|John Knarston||Mason h Burwell|
|Mrs. Laird||Widow Walnut|
|Joseph Lamb||Cattle Dealer h King|
|Wm Lamb||Carpenter h Queen|
|Susan Lamb||Seamstress h Upper Town|
|George Lang||h Banfield|
|James Lang||Manager C Watts|
|Dr John Lawrence J. P.||Reeve, Physician & Surgeon , King|
|Samuel Lee||Tobacconist h Burwell|
|James Lee||Cutter bds Mr. Robertson|
|Mrs. Lemon||Widow bds North River|
|J Lougheed||prop Union Hotel Paris Station|
|J H Luxford||Clerk Paris Station|
|Joseph Luxford||Mason h Burwell|
|William Luxford||Mason h Main|
|Alexander Lyall||Laborer h Mechanic|
|John Lyons||Manager h Lower Town|
|Harney McCabe||h Flats|
|Charles McCabe||Shoemaker h North River|
|James McCabe||Shoemaker h Mechanic|
|Patrick McCabe||Cooper bds Flats|
|Wm McCloud||Carpenter h Walnut|
|Wm J McCommon||Shoemaker h Uppertown|
|Richard McComyn||Clerk, bds Uppertown|
|John McCosh Barrister||Attorney at law, conveyancer, River|
|Thomas McCosh||Clerk h Church|
|Thomas McCosh||Groceries & provisions cor Burwell & Dundas|
|Thomas McCosh||Brown, Dickson & Co h Burwell|
|Mrs. McCosh||Widow Burwell|
|James McCready||Blacksmith h River|
|Thos McCummins||Shoemaker h Upper Town|
|Ronald McDonald||Tailor bds Upper Town|
|W G McDonnell||Clerk Royal Canadian Bank, River|
|Mrs. Geo McDonnell||Widow h River|
|J McElroy||Foreman Paris Star, River h Dumfries|
|Jas McEnerny||Machinist bds T Mayberry|
|Marion McGill||Dressmaker Burwell|
|Peter McGlade||Schuler & McGlade, Paris Pottery|
|Luke McGlue||machinist, B A S M Co|
|Mrs. McGorman||Widow, h Arnold|
|James McGrady||Carriage Smith, h River|
|James McGuire||Laborer h King|
|Henry McIlroy||Coleman's Mill h Main|
|Alexander McLean||Currier h Elgin|
|Peter Macgregor||Cooper h Mechanic|
|Wm Mackintosh||Wagon maker h River|
|James Maltus||Saddler h Emily|
|Wm Maltus||Carpenter bds Mr. Thompson's|
|Miss Jane Mann||Milliner h Upper Town|
|Robt Mann||Joiner h Upper Town|
|Lewis Maus||Groceries, provisions,
Agent for J Watson Ayr, Paris Station
|John Maure||Tailor h Lower Town|
|Edson Marlatt||bds West River|
|Wm Martin||Station Master G T R|
|David Maxwell||Maxwell & Whitelaw h Flats|
|James Maxwell||agent for Brant Famers' Mutual Insurance|
|Maxwell & Whitelaw||Paris Foundry & Machine Shop|
|Thomas Mayberry||prop Canadian Hotel|
|Mrs. Mayberry||h Burwell|
|John Menzie||Flour and Feed store, River|
|Milburn & Co||Bankers & Brokers, River h Broom Hill|
|Charles Milburn||Milburn & Co River|
|Charles Milburn Jr||Milburn & Co River|
|David Miller||Assistant G L Scott, River h Broadway|
|John Miller||Dry goods, groceries, crockery Dumfries|
|William Miller||Salesman Dumfries|
|George Milligan||Joiner h Lowertown|
|Robert Milligan||Laborer bds North River|
|Thomas Millington||Checker G T R, h River|
|George Mills||Teamster h Main|
|Rev John Mills||Wesleyan Methodist minister h River|
|David Mitchell||Miller h Congregational Square|
|George Mitchell||Tailor h William|
|Jas E Mitchell||Fanning mill factory h Broadway|
|Thomas Mitchell||Clerk h Broadway|
|Mrs. Mitchell||Widow h North River|
|Catharine Montgomery||Widow h Dumfries|
|Robert Montgomery||Cameron, Montgomery & Co, h Dumfries|
|Montreal Telegraph Company||Post Office Buildings, Upper Town|
|John Mooney||Teamster h Flats|
|T Mooney||Laborer h Flats|
|Rev Wm Morse||Church of England h Arnold|
|James Muir||Salesman bds Bradford's Hotel|
|Charles Munro||Clerk bds Upper Town|
|John Murray||Tailor h North River|
|Richard Murray||Tailor h Lower Town|
|Thomas Murray||Drover, h Church|
|Mrs. Murray||Widow h North River|
|Aaron Nash||Boots, shoes, hats, furs, glover River, h Dumfries|
|George Neil||Laborer h North River|
|New Paris Mills||C Whitlaw prop|
|Arch Nimmo||Foreman Mr Graham's bds Mrs. Wright's|
|Edgar H Nixon||Clerk River|
|Rev J W Noble||Minister Canadian Christians, William|
|T O'Brien||Butcher h North River|
|Thomas O'Neil||Laborer h William|
|Thomas O'Neil||Grain buyer|
|Ontario House||W Capron prop Paris Station|
Go to TOWN of PARIS -