In the Name of God Amen I Henry HARBEN of Dorchester in the County of Dorset baker being sick and weak in body but of perfect memory do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following
Impremis: [In the first Place] I do bequeath my soul to God Almighty my maker & redeemer and my body to the earth for whence I was taken to be buried at the discretion of my executrix herein after named
Item: I give to my son-in-law Sebastian HUNT the bed & Bedstead with all things thereunto belonging which is in my Hall
Item: I give to my brother Christopher HARBEN my three best coats my best hat two pair of stockings and two shirts and a waistcoat & breeches
Item: All the rest of my goods chattels or money that have or shall be due to me at my decease I give and bequeath to my loving daughter Deborah wife of Sebastian HUNT aforesaid who I do hereby nominate and appoint to be sole executrix of this my last will and testament made the fifth day of February in the ninth year of the reign of his Majesty William the 3
The mark of
Henry [ H.H. ] HARBEN
21st May 1698
(1) Henry HARBEN married Margery BULLOCK at All Saints on 25th June 1657 and only had two children (a) Henry Harben junior who was baptised 2nd Oct 1658. Unfortunately he died at the age of 19 being buried at All Saints on 26th Sep 1677. (b) Deborah Harben who was baptised at All Saints on 20th August 1659 and became his sole heir.
(2) His surviving daughter Deborah Harben appears to have married Sebastian HUNT when she was 33 years old on the 7th July 1692 in St Georges church Fordington although her name appears as Dorothy in the published list of marriages issued by Phillimore - the original parish register having not survived. This is confusing as a Sebastian HUNT was buried at Fordington on on 3rd April 1699 and a Dorothy on 2nd October 1701 but we know from the All Saints parish registers that Deborah the wife of Sebastian HUNT was buried there on 22nd July 1706 followed by her husband on 30th March 1722 who left a will. Its possible that the Sebastian and Dorothy buried at fordington were parents of Sebastian Hunt that married Deborah but we may never know as many of the relevant records for this period have not survived.
(3) His wife Margery having been married for 36 years pre-deceased Henry, being buried at All Saints on 22nd October 1693 hence not referred to in his will
(4) His brother Christopher HARBEN was buried at Holy Trinity Church Dorchester on 1st December 1707
(5) Henry HARBEN Senior was buried at All Saints Church Dorchester on 22nd February 1697/8
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids