The GRAPHIC Newspaper - Saturday June 11th 1887
is one of our oldest towns. The name, of course, indicates that it was a Roman station, but long before that it was a celtic city, the capital of the tribes of the Durotriges. The Romans have indelibly left their mark on the town in the four main streets and the “Carfax” and the line of the ancient ramparts and ditches is still to a great extent marked by public walks, shadowed by flourishing avenues of chestnut and sycamore. Nearly all traces of the Roman wall proper were removed towards the close of the last century, when the walks were made. For a town of such ancient origin, Dorchester is disappointingly modern in aspect. The reason for this is that it has several times been ravaged by fire.
On Thursday, June 2nd, the Prince of Wales visited Dorchester on the occasion of the Bath & West of England Show, and was received with great enthusiasm. He was the guest of the Corporation, and was met on his arrival by the Mayor (Mr Alfred Pope), the Lord-Lieutenant (Lord Ilchester), and the High Sheriff (Mr Brymer). The Prince, who was accompanied by Lord Alington and the Hon. Humphrey Sturt, and attended by General Teesdale, drove through the town in an open carriage. The streets were gaily decorated, and corowded with sight-seers. At the Corn Exchange the usual loyal address was read, and reply made, then the Aldermen and Councillors were presented to the prince, and luncheon was served in the Guildhall. luncheon over, the Prince of wales visited the Show yard, where he wwas taken round by Lord Ilchester and others. he was again heartily cheered on his return drive through the town, and left by the South western train at 4.30 PM – Our engravings are from photographs by Mr W.G.Gregory, Eglesfield House and Walter Pouncy, 38 High west street Dorchester.
(1). This engraving was done from a photograph taken by Walter Pouncy (1844-1918) the son of John Pouncy (1818-1894). See separte biography covering both their lives via this link. By this date the Photgraphic business in Dorchester at 38 High street was being run by Walter.