The tree-lined eastern pavement of The Grove is set apart from the main carriageway up a walled bank.
It abuts the perimeter of the County Hall complex, right.
Published by F.G.LONGMAN, The Library Cornhill Dorchester
Posted October 1906
Part of a private postcard collection © Copyright Mr. M Russell OPC for Dorchester
On the 1771 Map of Dorchester 'Grove Road' is simply shown as 'The Road to Bath'. It ran parrallel to the old Roman Wall heading North from Dorchesters 'West Gate'. The avenue of trees on the right of this picture were known then as 'The New Walk' to distinguish them from the older 'West Walk' which ran south from the Dorchesters 'West Gate'. By 1901 'The New Walks' had been renamed as 'Colliton Walk'.
Unlike many of the other postcards F.G. LONGMAN was a local printer who ran his own business in Dorchester at number 4 Cornhill. A native of Somerset he had married Elizabeth Sarah TUCKER in Shepton Mallett at the end of 1900 and they had settled in Dorchester where he started his own printing business. Kelly's Directory for 1915 describes him as a printer, bookseller, stationary andrunning a circulating library.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids