In the Court of the Archdeacon of Dorset : In the goods of Caleb BISHOP deceased
Appeared personally Christopher BISHOP of fordington in the County of Dorset
Cordwainer and made oath that he is one of the subscribed witnesses to the execution of the last Will and Testament of Caleb BISHOP late of Fordington in the County of Dorset Tailor deceased bearing date the twenty seventh day of August one thousand eight hundred and fifty six and now hereunto annexed And he further made oath that on the said twenty seventh day of August the said Testator duly executed his said Will by signing his name thereto in the presence of his deponent and of Thomas WELLMAN the other sunscribed witness thereto both of whom were present at the same time And his Deponent and the said Thomas WELLMAN thereupon attested and subscribed the said Will in the presence of the said Testator and of each other.
On the tenth day of February one thousand eight hundred and fifty seven the said Christopher BISHOP was sworn to the truth of this ffidavit by virtue of the Commission hereto annexed before me Henry Moule Commissioner
Genealogical Notes:- :
(1) The Commissioner was Rev Henry MOULE (1801-1880)
(2) Unfortunately the Will itself is not attached so we only know of its existance because of the oath taken before the court
(3) Calib BISHOP was buried at St Georges Church Fordington on 1st November 1856 when his abode was given as Holloway and his age as 65
(4) The 1851 Census shows his birth place to be Fordington and he is living with his 41 year old wife Jane, a native of Charminster, and his daughter Sarah Jane aged 1
(5) His daughter Sarah Jane BISHOP was baptised at St Georges Church Fordington on 29th July 1849
(6) Caleb BISHOP was baptised at St Georges Church Fordington on 14th Aug 1791 the son of William & Mary BISHOP
(7) Caleb BISHOP (1791-1856) married three times (1st) When he was 21 years old at All Saints church Dorchester to Mary HAWKINS on 13 September 1812. (2ndly) on 14 Oct 1841 Caleb BISHOP of full age a widower a tailor resident Holloway Row father William BISHOP a labourer was married after Banns by William Dodge curate to Mary BUSHROD of full age a spinster a servant resident Fordington Hill; father William BUSHROD a bricklayer; witnesses John Masters and Ann White
(3rdly) On 17 July 1848 Caleb BISHOP of full age a widower a tailor resident Holloway Road father William BISHOP a labourer was married after Banns by Rev J Leakey Curate to Jane WHITE of full age a spinster a servant resident in parish of Holy Trinity Dorchester father John WHITE a labourer witnesses Henry Hills and phillis White.