Jump to: Vicars : Curates: Church Wardens: Baptists: Other Ministers in Dorchester:Note: There are 8 main sources of Information for this database
Plaque [PL] (1222-1947) which is on the wall inside St Georges Church which provides a list of Vicars and Prebendaries
Cambridge University Alumni [CAM] - (1261 -1900) list of all known students, graduates, and officers at the University of Cambridge, England,
Clergy database [CCEd]- (1540-1835) This is still being compiled but already provides valuable information on the formal appointment of Vicars and curates - see the Clergydatabase.org.uk
Crockfords Directories [CR] (1868-1932)
John Hutchins [Hutchins] - (1222-1829) Taken from The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset by John Hutchins
Municipal Records of Dorchester [MRD] by CH Mayo Published 1908
Overseers Accounts [OA] - These are useful in supplying the names of Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor. Few years have been transcribed so far but this will increase over time
Oxford University Alumni [OXA] - (1500-1892) register of students, graduates, and officers who attended Oxford University between 1500 and 1886. Original data: Foster, Joseph. Alumni Oxonienses: The Members of the University of Oxford, 1715-1886 and Alumni Oxonienses: The Members of the University of Oxford, 1500-1714. Oxford: Parker and Co., 1888-1892.
When resident Clergy were absent an Officiating Minister would stand in usually from a nearby Parish. This was particularly easy for Fordington which borrowed Ministers from All Saints; Holy Trinity and Saint Peters in Dorchester as well as the surrounding Parishes
|NAME of VICAR||DATE SERVED||CHURCH||Jump to: Curates: Church Wardens: Baptists: Other Ministers in Dorchester:|
|Robert de Dorcestre||1222-||Vicar of St George's||Sources: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1222: (Hutchins) states 'In 1222, Laurence de Sto Nicholao, canon of Sarum, by charter grants this perpetual vicarage to Robert de Dorcestre, chaplain, viz. all the obventions of the altar, and the cemetery of his church of Fordington; and all small tithes, and 24s. 1d. to be received of the tenants of the said church yearly, who also ought to pay yearly tithe of all garbs and all kind of grain (bladi) to the church, i. e. the rectory of Fordington. The said Robert ought to perform in his own person, all duties (onera) belonging to the vicarage. [Footnote: Old Register of the Bishop of Saraum] It is a discharged living in Dorchester Deanry. The patronage belongs to the prebendary. All tithes, oblations, and other profits, with a portion of tithes at Lowdyfyld per annum.[Bacon] '|
|Henry||1328||Vicar of St George's||Source: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1328:|
|John Lugwardyn MA||1329||Vicar of St George's||Source: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1329:|
|Robert de Fulbourne||1340||Vicar of St George's||Source: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1340:|
|Roger of North Barrow||1344||Vicar of St George's||Source: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1344:|
|William||1349||Vicar of St George's||Source: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1349:|
|Robert||1352||Vicar of St George's||Source: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1352:|
|John CHUTE||1380-1388||Vicar of St George's||Source: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1380: (Hutchins) states '1388, exchanged with'|
|John HORE||1388-||Vicar of St George's||Source: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1388: Source: (Hutchins) states 'Rector of Broadway. Reg Waltham'|
|John WELLYS [Wallys: Welles; Wells]||1399-||Vicar of St George's||
Rev. John WELLS . There are two Charters (392 & 393) recorded in the Municipal Records of Dorchester dated the last Monday in October 1425 where John Priest a burgess of Dorchester made a grant to John WELLES the Perpetual Vicar of Fordington of a house situated on the west side of south street in Dorchester, together with some enclosed land adjoining it. In a later Charter (405) dated 2nd Oct 1427 John Wells, still referred to as the Vicar of Fordington, granted this house to Richard Webb alias Smith of Dorchester.
Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1399: (Hutchins) states 'John Wallys 1408 Chandler' (MRD) pages 104, 254, 255, 259
|John ATTEWEL [Atwell]||1405||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1405: (Hutchins) states '1405 Chandler' [Note:- see above John Wells appears to still be vicar at this date?]|
|Robert CORFE||1436||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1436:|
|Henry BRYT||1440||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar at1440: [Note:- See British History On-Line: Victoria County History Berkshire pages 57 and 58 refers to a Henry Bryt the perpetual vicar of St Helens in Abingdon in 1391-1396 who obtained a licence from Boniface IX to create a cemetery for his parishioners which was contested by the Monastry. He lost the case and had to bear with his parishioners the costs. ]|
|Canon / Bishop Richard HILL MA||1477||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1477: (Hutchins) states 'occurs 1 Ric. III.' [Note:- year 1 of the reign of Richard III ran from 26 June 1483]|
|William RAWLINS BCL||1529||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1529: (OXA): Bachelor of Canon Law 20 Feb 1513/14|
|Anthony RAWLINS||1534-||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1534: (Hutchins) states 'Instituted 1534'|
|William [Williamus] STANLEY (d.1552)||1546 - 1552||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1546 : (CCEd) Instituted Vicar of Fordington 2nd Aug 1546, Patron Richardus Basinge Prebendary: Death 27 Jan 1552 (Hutchins) only gives his name|
|Joseph CREECH||1551||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1551 ( Hutchins) states 'Joseph Creech, on the death of Stanley, inst. 27 Jan. 1551'. [Note: The entry on th (PL) seems to have been taken from Hutchins who refers to Joseph Creech but CCEd which is a more reliable source as constructed from surviving records refers to Johannes or John - see below]:|
|John [Johannes] CREECH [Chreeche, Criche]||1552 - 1554||Vicar of St George's||Source (CCEd) Appointed Vicar of Fordington 27 Jan 1552 to fill the vacancy left by the death of William Stanley : Patron Richardus Basinge Prebendary: 13 Mar 1554 promoted to Perpetual Vicar when he appears to have moved on to another parish. [Note:- CCEd - A Johannes Creache was vicar of Mintern Magna in 1579 ]|
|Roger [Rogerus] CROCKET[t] (d.1580)||1554-1580||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar at 1553: (Hutchins) states 'Roger Crocket, on the resignation of Creech, inst. 13 March, 1553' (CCEd) Appointed Perpetual Vicar Fordington 13 Mar 1554: Patron Richardus Basinge Prebendary: 30 Jul 1566 mentioned in office case as Vicar Fordington: 27 May 1567 Vicar Fordington mentioned under Frome Whitfield : 29 Sep 1568 in case on tithes: 8 Sep 1570 Also mentioned in office case: told that he or his curate (William Carpenter) must hold services in his church at convenient times. 5/91573 Vicar: Mentioned as Vicar of Fordington in 1576 Act Book and again on 2nd July 1579. On the 10th Feb 1580 the data base records his natural death as rector of Knighton.|
|Thomas PIERSON||1580-1581||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar at 1580: (Hutchins) states 'Thomas Pierson, inst. 13 July, 1580': (CAM) May be the Thomas Pierson who Matric. pens. from ST JOHN'S, Michs. 1566.: (CCEd): Appointed Perpetual Vicar of Fordington 23/7/1580: Patron John Bridges|
|Thomas PHILIPS (d.1583)||1581-1583||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar1581: (Hutchins) only gives his name: CCEd): Appointed perpetual Vicar of Fordington 15 June 1581 to fill a vacancy: Patron Johannes [John] Young: probably the Thomas PHILLIPPS ordained as a deacon and priest at Salisbury Cathedral on 3rd April 1569. Also entry at CCEd of his death on 5 Dec 1583. He may have been buried at Fordington as parish registers have not survived from 1579-1584.|
|Christopher WHITTLE MA (1557/8 - 1607/8)||1583 - 1607/8||Vicar of St George's||Rev. Christopher WHITTLE (1557/8-1608) A native of Frome Vauchurch in Dorset Christopher Whittle was a plebian scholar in 1573 and matriculated at New College Oxford on 10th January 1574/5 when he was aged 17. He was awarded his B.A. degree on 25th June 1577. He continued his studies at Harts Hall Oxford where he was awarded an M.A. on 9th Feb 1579/80. He joined the church and at the request of his patron Henry Coker was appointed as Rector of Hutton on 9th April 1579. Clearly Henry Coker carried some influence as Christopher's ordination as a deacon then had to be rushed through and took place at the Bishops Palace chapel on 4th May 1579 when his age was given as being 26. This would make him born in 1553 but I have relied upon his university record as most students matriculated around the age of 16 or 17. His ordination as a priest followed on 5th May 1580. On the 5th December 1583 he was instituted as the perpetual Vicar of St Georges Church in Fordington when his patron was given as John Yonge. His name appears in Church Act Books on 8 Jul 1585; 17 Oct 1588: 1591: 17 Sep 1593: 19 Jul 1594: 17 Jul 1600: where he is still shown as vicar there. His death was recorded on the church database on 19 June 1608 but Adam Wilson had clearly taken over duties by 1607:
Sources: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1583: ( Hutchins) states 'Christopher Whittel, on the death of Philips, inst. 5 Dec. 1583': (OXA): (CCEd):
|Henricus [Henry] WHITTLE||1603||Vicar of St George's||Source CL: Act Book shown as Vicar of Fordington on 22 Jul 1603: [ Note: The Christian name is almost certainly an error - should be Christopher Whittle as he remained Vicar until his death in 1608]|
|Adam WILSON MA DD (1581 - aft1633)||1608-1609||Vicar of St George's||Rev. Adam WILSON MA DD (1581-aft1633) of London pleb Queens College where he matriculated on 23rd Feb 1598/9 aged 17. Awarded his BA degree 20th Oct 1601 and MA at Oriel College on 17th April 1605. Made a Bachelor of Divinity at Queens College 9th July 1612
and Doctor of Divinity on 8th June 1614. Attended Lincoln's Inn 1621. According to his University record he was made Rector of both Lyndlinch and Vicar of Fordington in 1609. Official Church records for Lyndlinch do not appear to have survived but his name appears on the parish register for 9th April 1609. Hutchins states that he was appointed vicar of Fordington on the death of the previous incumbant Christopher Whittle and there is a church record showing his appointment on the 19th June 1608. He was resident in the parish slightly before that however as he signed the bishops transcripts for both 1607 and 1608. Rector of East Horsley Surrey 1619; Canon of Lincoln 1624. Rector of Nutfield Surrey 1627-34 and of Foots Cray in Kent in 1633.
Sources: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1608: (Hutchins) states 'Adam Wilson, on the death of Whittel, inst. 19 June, 1608': PR: (Signed as Vicar 1607 & 1608): ; (CCEd) Note there is an unusual entry in the institution book for 25 Jul 1609 under perpetual vicar as follows: "Reason for vacancy Other = "Per dimissionem resignationem, per mutationem secundi beneficii acceptationem sen alio quocumque modo de persona M'ri Adami Wilson clerici ultimi Incumb' ibidem iam ultime vacantum". Henry Cotton became prebendary in Sept 1608 and may not have realised that John Parham had presentation rights; hence the presentation of Peter Owen in the next entry and the firmly worded reason for vacancy in this entry, or is it to do with pluralism?
|Peter OWEN [Petrus Owyn]||1609||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1609: (Hutchins) states 'Peter Owen, instit. 12 June 1609'. : (CCEd) Appointed perpetual vicar 12 Jun 1609 Patron Henricus [Henry] Cotton [Decision reversed see comments under Adam Wilson]|
|William [Guilielmus] JONES MA||1609-1616||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1609: (Hutchins) states 'William Jones, instit. 25 July, 1609'. (CCEd) Note Gulielmus is latin for William - Appointed perpetual vicar 25 Jul 1609 to follow on from Adam Wilson? See previous entry where Peter Owen's appointment clearly had to be reversed. His name wrongly spelt as William James appears in one of the Act Books under date 3rd Sep 1613 when he was still Vicar in Fordington. He had a daughter Judith baptised at Fordington on 30th March 1615 but she died & was buried there 28th Oct 1615.|
|Willelmus JAIMES||1609||Vicar of St George's||(CCEd) In Act book 3 Sep 1613: Note: Almost certainly a miss spelling of surname for William Jones|
|Edward [Edwardus] PELE (1582-1643)||1616 - 1643||Vicar of St George's||See separate Biography on the Life of Edward Pele (1582-1643) The Vicar of Fordington & Rector of Compton Vallance
Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1616: (Hutchins) incorrectly gives his name as 'Edward Prale instituted 1616'.
|Giles GOLDESBOROUGH BA (1615-1667/8) [Gyles Gouldsbrough; Giles Goldesbury]||1643 - 1649 (ejected)||Vicar of St George's||
Rev. Giles GOLDESBOROUGH BA (1615 -1667/8 ) Giles was the son of William Goldesborough of the nearby parish of Stinsford. He matriculated at Wadham College Oxford on 25th June 1634 aged 19 being awarded his B.A. degree on the 16th Dec 1636. He was appointed vicar of St George's church in Fordington on 6th Dec 1643. On the 5th Aug 1652 he was also appointed to the living at Stinsford. The parish Registers for Stinsford were later copied and the vicar at that time made the following entry " NB. During the Civil War between King Charles & the Parliament the Rev. Gyles GOULDESBROUGH Vicar of Stinsford was cruelly deprived both of his living and also of his vicarage of Fordington. He apparently kept in his possession their Register Book and another book was kept by the Parliamentary appointed Parish Registrar which is now lost. Therefore no marriages are recorded between 1641 & 1662 when Gyles Gouldes brough came back to his own living".
This is comfirmed by an entry in the Municipal Records of Dorchester which state "About the year 1647 the town of Dorchester had purchased the Impropriate Rectory of Fordington paying about £200 to procure the grant from Parliament, and about £400 for buying out the existing lessee. It was a shorsighted speculation. The men of Fordington, after the sequestration of the Vicar Giles Goldesburyrefused to pay tithes to the various substitutes appointed by the County Committee, so that there were three years arrears due 1648-9 and through an augmentation had been assigned on the 6th Jan 1646-7 for the increase of the ministers stipend, which was then but £40 per annum and though a voluntary addition of £20 per annum had been made by the town on 1st June 1649, the inhabitants were not satisfied. On the Restoration the Rectory reverted to the Church of Sarum, and the purchase money was lost".
Giles signed the Articles 5th Aug 1662 as Vicar of Stinsford and died there being buried at St Michael's Church on 3rd March 1667/8.
Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1643: (Hutchins) only gives his name: (OXA) : (CCEd) under Aegidius Goldesbrough - appointed perpetual Vicar of Fordington 6 dec 1643: Note Egidius is Latin for Giles: (MRD) page 635 (PR) Fordington & Stinsford. Note:- MRD also refers to Somerset Notes & Queries Vol vi,p233 as a source.
|John LODER (1626-1673)||1649 - 1656||Vicar of St George's||Rev. John Loder BA (1626-1673) was the son of an attorney Gilbert Loder of Dorchester and was educated circa 1639-1643 at the 'Free School' in Dorchester under the master there Gabriel Reeve (1653-Aft.1650).
When John left the school in 1643 he went to University at Caius College Cambridge where he was scholar 1643-1648 and was awarded a BA degree 1646/7. According to David Underdown in his book 'Fire From Heaven' he was appointed to the living at Fordington despite not being ordained and under age. He was in fact 23 years old and according to the Municipal Records of Dorchester was appointed to the living on 1st January 1649 "upon petition of the inhabitants of Fordington 8 Feb 1648/9 (Minute Book of the Dorchester Standing Committee p 455 & 501). He was to be paid £50 pa on the understanding that he submit himself to be ordained minister within 3 months, or as soon as by his age he be capable of ordination. He was succeeded by Joshua Churchill another congregationalist minister in 1656 when Cromwell placed him at St Bartholomew's Exchange in London. Loder brought with him into the Church a gathered congregation, which had previously met with Philip Nye, though in what locality is uncertain. The result was a long and rancorous feud between the old parishioners and the new Separatist congregation, who usurped the parishioners pews. Loder tried to induce the old parishioners to come into his church way. He even attempted to coerce them into it by refusing to administer the Sacraments or baptise unless they joined him in communion. On their side the old parishioners attempted to coerce him by withholding their tithes. At a vestry held in July 1660 'it was agreed and ordered that Mr Loder ...should not preach any more in the said parish church." (See Shaw The Church under the Commonwealth vil i p 132 et seq) He died 30th December 1673 and was buried at Bunhill Fields. His Will is at the National Archives Ref PROB 11/344 under John Loder, Clerk of Enfield, Middlesex probate was granted 23 Apr 1674.
Sources CAM: MRD: FFH (Note Not listed on PL)
|Joshua CHURCHILL (1627-1693/4)||1656 - 1662
|Vicar of St George's||
Rev. Joshua Churchill (1627-1693/4). Joshua was baptised at Holy Trinity Church in Dorchester on 20th May 1627. He was the 3rd child but the only one to survive infancy from the marriage of John CHURCHILL to Joane EDWARDS at Holy Trinity Church in Dorchester on 19-Jun 1622. Educated initially at the 'Free School' in Dorchester he entered Queens College Cambridge on 18 Aug 1644 progressing to Emmanuel College on 29 Jan 1647/8 but did not graduate taking holy orders instead. He was made Vicar of Over Compton in Dorset in 1650; Rector of Winterborne Came & Farringdon 1655; and then Vicar of Fordington in 1656. There he remained until he was presented to the Assizes in 1660 for not using the Anglican Liturgy and ejected from Fordington in 1662. Said to have been imprisoned at Dorchester 1663/4. He retained a lot of support in the town, for example he was left twenty shillings in the Wills of Christian Lauerens of Fordington dated 20th Nov 1663 and Elinor Hackham of Fordington dated 15th Nov 1664. He went to Compton Valence to live (by 1665) and then assisted the Rev. William Benn in preaching to a dissenting congregation of about 200 at Fordington, and succeeded him in his pastoral office publishing some of Benn's sermons. Episcopal returns for 1669 report him as one of the preachers to "100 or 200 of ordinary ranke most foreigners At Mr Thomas Graves and his sonnes house in Donhead St Andrew Wiltshire. He was licenced 17 April 1672 as a "Congregational teacher in his house in Dorchester and that of Benjamin Devenishe in Fordington. He signed the address of thanks from Dorset Ministers 10th May 1672 and was left £5, & a debt of £5, waived in the Will of Phillip STANSBIE (d.1686).
He marrried an Elizabeth probably at Fordington where all the pariah registers are missing (1640 to 1663 inc) which embraces the entire period of his tenure as vicar there. For the same reason we have no record of children from the marriage except that after his ejection in 1662 he returned with William Benn to establish the Congregational Church and we know he had a house in Dorchester. The Chapel only had a very small burial ground with most burials of its members taking place in Holy Trinity parish. Here Elizabeth the wife of Mr Joshua Churchill was buried on 12th October 1691. She was quickly followed by their daughter Mary on 3rd Nov 1691 and their daughter Elizabeth on 26th Jan 1691/2. Joshua joined them on 8th Jan 1693/4.
|John THORNBURGH MA (1618-1702) [Johannes Thornbourgh]||1665 - 1683||Vicar of St George's||Rev. John THORNBURGH MA (1618-1702) He was the son of a Gentleman, Edward Thornburgh of Salisbury Wiltshire who became Archdeacon of Worcester in 1629 and had been rector of Owermoigne in 1614. John matriculated at Christs College Oxford on 23th March 1634-5 aged 16 where he was awarded a B.A. degree on 30th Oct 1638 and an M.A. on 25th June 1641. He joined the church being instituted as Vicar of Lavington in Wiltshire on 22nd April 1645, a position he held until he was appointed rector of Owermoigne on 19th Sep 1661. Around 1660 when records are poor he met and married a Susannah (surname unknown) and they started a family. He appears to have had at least a daughter Hannah who later married Rev Henry Robinson (see below). A son Giles Thornburgh was baptised at Owermoigne on 23rd Aug 1663. He signed the Act of Uniformity on 20th June 1662. His wife Susannah however died and was buried in the parish on 10th Jan 1665-6. John was appointed Perpetual vicar of Fordington on 18th July 1665 where he remained until he resigned on 14th Aug 1683. He retired to his living at Owermoigne and was buried there in accordance with the statues for burying in woollen on the 30th of April 1702. The affidavit was made the same day before William Innes Vicar of Fordington and the rector of Owermoigne Robert Bartholomew .
Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1665: ( Hutchins) states 'John Thornburgh, inst. 18 July,1665'.: (OXA) (CCEd) (PR) Signed Fordington for years 1665 to 1667 inc + 1669 + 1675; Burial PR Owermoigne
|Henry ROBINSON MA (c1660-1705)||1683 - 1701||Vicar of St George's||Rev. Henry ROBINSON MA (c1660 - 1705) His university career shows that he entered as a pauper to Brasenose College, subscribed on 15th March 1675-6. It's possible that he was one of those who benefited from the philanthropy in Dorchester and educated initially at Dorchester's free school. He was awarded his B.A.degree at Brasenose College in 1679 and his M.A. in 1682. He joined the church and was appointed as perpetual vicar of Fordington on 14th Aug 1683 his patron being Thomas White the prebendary of Fordington. He married Hannah the daughter of Rev John THORNBURGH at Owermoigne on 7th June 1683 (Link to marriage & children). They raised a family of 10 children in Fordington between 1683 and 1700. He resigned his position on 28th Nov 1701 to become Rector of Winterbourne Came (with Winterbourne St Germayne) in Dorset but his wife and family continued to live in Fordington. He died intestate at Winterbourne Came with administration of his estate being granted at Bristol Consistitory Court to his widow Hannah on 21st May 1705.
Sources: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1683: ( Hutchins) states 'Henry Robinson, on the resignation of Thornburgh, instituted 14 Aug. 1693'.(OXA) (CCEd) Source (PR): Signed Parish Registers 1683 - 1689 inc + 1691- 1696 inc + 1698 to 1700 inc - See Wills index Fordington this site.
|William [Willhelmus or Guilelmus] INNES BA (1670-1707)||1701 - 1707||Vicar of St George's||
Rev William [Willhelmus] INNS BA (1670 - 1707) The son of William INNS of Oxford, paup, he matriculated at Magdalen College Oxford on 17th Dec 1686 at the age of 16. A Chorister 1684-1691 he was awarded his BA in 1691. He was ordained as a deacon in Magdalen College Chapel on 20th December that year and served as curate of All Cannings Chapelry at Etchilhampton from 21st Oct 1698. His ordination as a priest came at the Bishops Palace Chapel at Salisbury on 12th Oct 1701 in preparation for his appointment as perpetual Vicar of Fordington on 28th November that year. His univercity record states that he was also made Rector of Winterborne Gemayne in 1704. He married a Susannah and had a daughter Elizabeth who was buried at Fordington on 7th Jan 1705. They also had a son William INNS bap at Fordington on 28 Jan 1705/6 but the Rev William INNS then died on 7th Aug 1707 being buried in St Georges churchyard on the 11th. Their son William also died aged 3 being buried there on 19th April 1709.
Sources:- (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1701: (Hutchins) states 'William Innes, on the cession of Robinson, inst 28 Nov. 1701'; OXA Sources quoted= Boxam 1 120; Fosters Index Eccl; Parish Registers for Fordington.
|Latimer CROSSE MA (1668-1739)||1708 - 1713||Vicar of St George's||
Rev Latimer CROSSE MA LLD (1668 - 1739) The son of Joshua Crosse of the City of Oxford and scholar of Wadham College he matriculated at Trinity College Oxford 27th March 1685 at the age of 17; awarded his BA in 1688 and MA in 1692. He was ordained a deacon & priest in Magdalen college Chapel on 8th May 1692 and made curate of East Kennett 21st Oct 1698; and vicar of Rowde in Wiltshire on 21st may 1701 until 25 May 1708. On the death of William INNES above he was appointed perpetual vicar of Fordington on 27th Jan 1707/8 taking up office the following April. He left to become Vicar of Corsham in Wiltshire on 17th Oct 1713 where he was in office until 12 Nov 1719. Amongst the church plate at Corsham is a silver paten dated 1719 given to the church by Latimer Crosse. A docuent also exists at the National Archives also dated 1719 which is a testimonial from the Vicar of Milksham and neighbouring clergy. Church records show that he was instituted as Perpetual Vicar of Kentbury St Mary in Berkshire where he died aged 74 on 5th Aug 1739.
Sources:- (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1707: (Hutchins) states 'Latimer Cross, on the death of Innes, instit. 27 Jan. 1707'; CL: OXA; ; Parish Register memoranda; National Archives D/1/14/1/6a/52 1719;
|Thomas WYATT BA (1689-1713)||1713 - 1713||Vicar of St George's||Thomas WYATT [WAIT, WYAT, WYEATT] ( 1689-1713 ) He was baptised on 4th January 1687/88 in the church of St Peter & St Paul in Marlborough in Wiltshire the son of Thomas & Elizabeth WYATT pleb of St Johns College Oxford where he matriculated on 30th May 1707 at the age of 18. He was awarded his BA there 27 Jan 1710/11.
Having joined the church he was appointed Vicar of Fordington on 17th Sep 1713 according to Hutchins on the resignation of Latimer CROSSE. Unfortunately he died shortly after his arrival and was buried at St Georges church on 12 Nov 1713. Entry in the Parish Register includes a memorandum that Thomas Wyatt, vicar of Fordington, was "buried by his Mother in a most shamefull, scandalous and penurius manner" 1713;
Sources: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1713: (Hutchins) states 'Thomas Wyatt, A.B. on the resignation of Cross, instituted 27 Oct.1713'. [A2A]: PE/FOR(SG)/RE 1/1 1705-1799: : His ordination records do not appear to have survived. : [OXA]:[PL:]
|John [Johannes or Joh'es] JACOB BCL (1690-1759)||1714 - 1759||Vicar of St George's||John [Johannes] JACOB (1690 - 1759) BCL Generally thought to have been the son of Thomas JACOB of Enford in Wiltshire he was educated at Merton College in Oxford where he matriculated on 30 May 1706 at the age of 16. He was awarded a Bachelor of Canon Law [BCL] on 27th February 1712/13. On the 21st Sep 1712 he took holy orders being ordained a deacon in Salisbury Cathedral and he was ordained a priest at the Bishops Chapel in Salisbury on 18th January 1713/4 before being granted the living at Fordington on 19th January 1714 (on the death of the existing vicar Thomas WYATT) where he remained until his own death in 1759. Hutchins refers to his being appointed as master of the Free School on 1st Nov 1721 but I cannot trace him being licenced as a schoolmaster and this seems to clash with other appointments there. Church records show that he took on the additional role as Rector of All Saints Church in Dorchester on 18 Sep 1734 after the existing vicar Richard Hutchins died. We know he married and his wife's name was Grace as a daughter Elizabeth was baptised at St Georges church on 25th Feb 1718/19; a son Thomas on 29th April 1720 and a 2nd son John Jacob on 16th Aug 1721. His wife Grace died and was buried at Fordington on 26th July 1727. His son John JACOB junior matriculated at Balliol college Oxford on 2 Feb 1740/1 at the age of 19. The parish Registers for St George's church in Fordington record John JACOBS burial as being on 22 January 1758/59. Link to tombstone inscription
Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1714: (Hutchins) states 'John Jacob, LL.B. on the death of Wyatt, inst. 19 Jan. 1713. In 1734, being presented to All Saints in Dorchester, he was again presented to this vicarage by Richard Younger, prebendary, and instituted 8 Oct. 1734.' : See Foster's Ind.Eccles. . Source PL Listed as a Vicar at this date: Source PR Signed Parish Register 1736 +1739 + 1743 + 1751 baptisms & Burials at Fordington 22 Jan 1759]: Source Overseers Accounts 1726-1730 signed as Vicar
|Christopher TWINIHOE BA (1722-1767)||1759-1767||Vicar of St George's||
He was descended from the ancient family of Twynho which is covered in 3 Visitation records. It starts with William Twyniho of Kayford in the Visitation of Somerset in 1575 (page132) showing descent to a George Twyniho of Kayford who married the daughter of Thomas Audley and left a son Christopher Twinyho (d1582) of Turnworth in Dorset who married Edith the daughter and co-heir of William Bamfield of Turnworth. This Christopher Twynihoe died in 1582 and his pedigree is continued in the 1623 Visitation to Dorset (page 95). Christopher & Edith's son and heir George Twynihoe of Turnworth married Ursula the daughter of John Basket of the Isle of Wight - he was still alive in 1623. His son and Heir Christopher Twiniho (1599 - 1643) of Turnworth has his pedigree continued in the 1677 Visitation of Dorset (page 70) showing that he married Elizabeth the daughter of Edward Seeley of Bridgewater. They had Christopher Twyniho (died 1676) of Turnworth who married Jane the daughter of Richard Bingham of Quarlston in Winterborne Stickland in 1657. They had Christopher Twyniho (1658-1696) of Turnworth who married Sarah the daughter of John Brodrep. Christopher & Sarah had Christopher Twyniho (1689/90-1773) of Turnworth The Rector of Steeple with Tyneham who was the father of Christopher Twyniho (1722-1767) of Turnworth the vicar of St Georges in Fordington who pre-deceased his father. I have set out this pedigree at length as with 5 Christopher Twiniho's of Turnworth its not suprising that there is some confusion over who died when.
His father had been appointed Rector of Steeple on 12 Jan 1738 and took on Poxwell in addition on 2nd March 1739 before he resigned his position on 22 April 1742. He was then made rector of Turnworth but church records do no appear to have survived reflecting this appointment which is confirmed by probate when he died. Christopher TWYIHOE (1722-1767) Junior was educated at Oxford where he matriculated at Wadham college on 26 March 1740 aged 18. He was awarded a BA degree at Wadham in 1743 before moving to Merton College Oxford where he gained his MA in 1746. He was ordained deacon at Christchurch on 10th June 1750 and a priest a year later. I have not managed to locate where he served his curacy but he was instituted as Perpetual Vicar of St Georges Church Fordington on the death of John Jacob on 20th April 1759 taking up office according to the parish registers on 29th. His burial was recorded at Turnworth in the parish register as taking place on 24 April 1767 so he predeceased his father. When his father died on 22 Sep 1773 the ancient name of TWYNIHOE became extinct.
Sources. (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1759: Visitation of Somerset 1575; Visitations of Dorset 1623 & 1677; National Archives for his fathers death 1773 (Prob 11/996 28 mar 1774) OXA: (Hutchins) states 'Christopher Twynyhoe, jun. M.A. fellow of Merton College, Oxford, on the death of Jacob, inst. 1759'. Note:- In Gentlemans magazine under obituary of notable persons with biographical anecdotes page 770
|Edward MARSHALL MA (1739-1798)||1767-1798||Vicar of St George's||Rev. Edward MARSHALL MA (1739-1798)
He was the son of Nicolas MARSHALL of Enstone in Oxon a gentleman. He matriculated at Pembroke College on 6th Nov 1756 aged 17 and was awarded his BA degree there in 1760. He was made a Fellow of Oriel College Oxford and granted his MA degree in 1763. He was ordained at Christchurch Oxford, first as a deacon on 18th Sep 1763 and then a priest 21st Oct 1764. Appointed vicar of Fordington on 6th June 1767 taking over on the death of the existing incumbant Rev Christopher TWINIHOE. Edward died at Euston aged 59 on 19th September 1798.
Sources: Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1769: (Hutchins) states 'Edward Marshal, M.A. senior fellow of Oriel College, Oxford. He died at Euston, aged 59, Oct. 19,1798'; OXA; CL:
|John PALMER BCL (1749-1829)||1799 - 1829||Vicar of St George's||
Rev. John PALMER BCL (1749-1829)
See Link to Biography & transcription of his will dated 15th May 1812 .
The son of John Palmer a Gentleman from Bistol City. He studied studied Civil Law at Wadham college and joined the church possibly being ordained a priest at Wells in 1768 before matriculating at St Albans College Oxford in 1780 and being awarded a Bachelor of Canon Law degree in 1795. He served as curate of St Martins church at Bremhill in Wiltshire for 22 years before being appointed as vicar of St Georges Church in Fordington on 13th March 1799. He married Elizabeth Legg in her home parish of Market Lavington in Wiltshire on 13th Oct 1797 whilst he was still a curate at Bremhill. Elizabeth was the daughter of a Gentleman Richard Legg and her brother Rev. Joseph Legg was curate of of Maddington in Wiltshire. John's spinster sister also called Elizabeth, and described as emanating from Bristol, came to live with him and passed away in Fordington in 1812.
John Palmer died aged 80 on 5th May 1829 and was buried in St Georges churchyard on the 11th leaving his widow Elizabeth well provided for. Unfortunately Elizabeth only survived him by a few months and having returned to her home village of Market lavington died there in November being buried on the 20th. She left a number of bequests including £100 to erect a monument to herself , her brother John Legg (1755-1802) a naturalist and her spinster sisters Mary and Jane Legg.
|Henry MOULE MA (1801-1880)||1829 - 1880||Vicar of St George's||Rev. Henry MOULE (1801-1880) Link to his biography: Evangelical Minister of Fordington for 51 Years and Inventor of the Dry Earth Closet.
Born in Melksham Wiltshire the son of a Solicitor George Moule (1768-1830) and Sarah nee Hayward (1764-1835) he was initially educated at Marlborough Grammer School before matriculating at John's College Cambridge where he gained his MA degree. He was ordained at Salisbury in 1824 and married Mary Mullett Evans (1801-1877) being appointed curate of St Mary the Virgin church in Gillingham. He was 28 years old when he first arrived at Fordington in 1829 to take up his position as Vicar of St George's Church. After some differences with his parishioners he gained their enduring respect by his efforts to help the poor during the devastating outbreaks of cholera in 1849 and 1854. He funded the building of Christchurch as a place of worship for the soldiers inhabiting Fordington Barracks and is renowned as the inventor of the dry earth closet which did much to improve the health of Victorian England. Four of his eight children joined the church, one became the Vicar of Yaxley, two gained great distinction as missionaries to China and one became Bishop of Durham. His eldest son Henry Joseph was a water color artist of some note who is credited with establishing the Dorset County Musem and his son Charles became classical lecturer & tutor at Cambridge
Sources: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1829: (Hutchins) states 'Henry Moule of St. John's College, Cambridge, instit. June 8, 1829, on the death of Palmer. Author of many useful theological treatises, as well as of pamphlets in connection with various benevolent economical inventions with which his name is associated' See bbiography for main sources
|Arthur A LEONARD MA (1850-1912)||1880-1887||Vicar of St George's||Rev. Arthur Allen LEONARD MA (1850 -1912 ) He was the third son of Francis Burford of Penhow in the County of Monmouth, a cleric by his wife Lucy and was baptised at Llandevaud, Monmouth on 11th June 1850. He matriculated at Oriel College at Oxford on 25th Oct 1869 aged 19 where he was awarded his BA in 1873 and MA in 1877. He was ordained a deacon in 1873 and a priest at Sarum in 1874. He served his curacy at Bridport (1873-1880) before his appointment as Vicar of St Georges Church Fordington (1880 to 1887). He was a Missionary of the society of St Andrew Salisbury (1888-1890) before being appointed Vicar of Beaminster. He died at the age of 61 at the vicarage in Beaminster on 19th January 1912 with probate of his estate of £541.9s.0d being granted to Florence Octavia Leonard his spinster sister. He was buried at Holy Trinity Church Beaminster on 22nd January.
Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1880: (PR) Fordington, (IGI), (OXA) (CR) 1885; 1908 (PRO) Clergy Luist 1897
|Sidney BOULTER MA (1851-1932)||1888- 1906||Vicar of St George's||
Rev. Sidney BOULTER MA (1851- 1932) A graduate of Keble Colledge Oxford being awarded his BA (2nd cl Theoligical Scholar) in 1873 and his MA in 1876. He was ordained a Dean 1874 when he became an assistant master and Chaplain at St Marks School Windsor until 1877. He was ordained as a Priest in 1878 and appointed curate of Taynton and Great Barrington near Burford Oxon to 1881. Then Vice Principal at St Boniface. Missionary College Warminster 1881-1884 and Sub Warden 1884-1886. Curate of Warminster 1882-1886 and Broadwinsor 1886-1888. He was then appointed as vicar of Fordington St Georges Church in 1888 a position he held until 1906. The gross income was £325 with residence and a population of over 2,300. In 1906 he moved to become the Rector of Poulshot in Devises. He died there at the age of 81 and on the south wall over the Priest's Door is a memorial to the Rev. Sidney Boulter who died in January 1932 after an incumbency of twenty seven years.
Sources: (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1888: Clergy List 1897; Crockfords Clerical Directory 1898 & 1932 ; Kelleys Dir 1895; PL The Bristol Mercury and Daily Post (Bristol, England), Monday, January 2, 1888; Issue 12367 Also: Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Thursday, February 2, 1888; Issue 12500 - Also The Bristol Mercury and Daily Post (Bristol, England), Friday, February 3, 1888; Issue 12395; A Historical sketch of Poulshot church by Stanley harper; GRO Devises 5a/133
|Rev Richard Grosvenor BARTELOT MA. FSA. (1868-1947)||1906-1936||Vicar of St George's||
Rev. Richard Grosvenor BARTELOT MA. FSA. (1868-1947) Link to an account of his life Vicar of St Georges Church Fordington 1906-1936 Local historian, author and genealogistBartelot was the son of the Revd Robert Leach Bartlett, and his family pedigree can be seen in Burke's Landed Gentry 1952. They descended from Adam Barttelot, of Sussex, fl 1295/6. It is possible to see that many of the original MSS bequeathed to the Dorset History Centre must have descended to him by intermarriages. At some point Richard Grosvenor Bartlett decided to adopt the more antique spelling of Bartelot, and his obsession with ancestry, particularly royal ancestry, is apparent in this collection of papers. He transcribed and published a number of Dorset parish registers, contributed to Somerset & Dorset Notes & Queries, wrote the History of Crewkerne School (1899), The History of Fordington (1915), and, with A M Broadley, The Three Dorset Captains at Trafalgar (1906).
|Gilbert Laird Osborn JESSOP MA (1906-1990)||1936-1956||Vicar of St George's||Rev. Gilbert Laird Osborn JESSOP (1906 -1990 ) MA (referred to as junior)
He was the son of Gilbert Laird JESSOP (1874-1955) the famous cricketer who played 18 times for England between 1899 and 1912 and whose life is covered in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. His father met his mother Millicent Annie OSBORNE during the cricket tour of Australia in 1901-2 . Gilbert junior was born on 6th Sep 1906 in Kensington and briefly appeared in first-class cricket for the MCC in 1929 against Wales. He was educated at Weymouth college and in 1927 was at Cambridge where he was awarded an MA. By 1933 he had completed his theological studies, taken holy orders, and joined the Hampshire cricket team making a debut against the touring West Indies. In 1936 he joined Cambridgeshire playing for the Minor Counties against Norfolk, Lincolnshire and Suffolk. In 1939 he joined Dorset and played 22 minor counties matches between 1939 and 1952.
He was appointed vicar of St George's church in Fordington in 1936 and served there for 20 years where he is still fondly remembered by his parishoners as a kind, gentle and caring man. His father lived with him at the vicarage and died there on 11 May 1955, leaving an estate of £2,044. 5s. 6d of which his son was executor. Gilbert left Fordington in 1956 to work as a minister in the West Indies but died aged 84 on 16 January 1990 at St Thomas Hospital, London.
Sources (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1936:(CR) Wisden Cricketer's Almanack (GRO) Birth Kensington 1a/88 4th qtr 1906: death Jan 1990 aged 83 Lambeth Vol-14 Page 16 (PRO) Dorset Echo 23rd Sep 2010
|Canon Edward B BROOKS MA||1956||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1956:|
|Franck W PUGH||1970||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Listed as a Vicar 1970:|
|Canon Phillip ROBERTS||1973||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Parish of Dorchester created . Appointed Team Rector 1973|
|Peter S MACPHERSON||1979||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Appointed Team Vicar 1979|
|James J HAMILTON-BROWN BSc||1981||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Appointed Team Vicar 1981|
|Canon David J LETCHER||1985||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Appointed Team Vicar 1985|
|Robin EH JOHNSON MA||1991||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Appointed Team Vicar 1991|
|Richard A BETTS BA||1997||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Appointed Team Vicar 1997|
|Phillip C LAMBERT MA||2001||Vicar of St George's||Source (PL) Appointed Team Vicar 2001|
|Fiona HALL||2012||Vicar of St George's||Source Dorset Echo 22 Oct 2012|
|NAME of CURATE||DATE||CHURCH||Jump to: Vicars : Church Wardens: Baptists: Other Ministers in Dorchester:|
|Willelmus [William] CARPENTER||1570||Curate||Source (CCEd) Curate: 8th July 1570.|
|Thomas TAPPE||1574||Vicar? (Curate)||Source( PL) Listed as a Vicar 1574: (CCEd) have name wrong as Topp should be Tappe as per PL; Appointed Curate 21 May 1576 [Note Curate not Vicar]. There is mention of the burial at Fordington of Joan the wife of Thomas Tapps [Tappe] 14th March 1614.|
|Johannes [John] CHUBB||1579-1582||Curate||Rev. John CHUBB : Source (CCEd): Ordained as a deacon at Newton Ferrers Parish Church 9th Feb 1578 and as a priest on 13th April 1578. Appointed Curate of Fordington 2 Jul 1579 [Note this record shows vicar is still Roger Crocket] remains Curate until 28 Aug 1582 when appointed to fill a vacancy as Rector of Ewerne [Iwerne] Courtney, his patron was Robert Freke. He was replaced as vicar on 19th Dec 1584 by Rev James Jones.|
|Richard RUSSELL MA (1566/7-1638)||1588-1590||Curate||Rev. Richard RUSSELL MA (1566/7 - 1638) Richard RUSSELL of Berkshire 'con gen' of Broadgates Hall, matriculated 31 Jan 1583/4 aged 17. He transferred to Magdalen College where he was awarded a B.A. degree on 7 Nov 1587. He then joined the church (although his ordination records do no appear to have survied) he was appointed curate of Fordington on 17 Oct 1588. He continued his studies being awarded his MA degree in 1590 when he took up an appointment as Rector of nearby West Stafford with Frome Billett in Dorset. He served there for 47 years until he was over 70 and became ill. His place as Rector was taken by his son Richard Russell MA (1597-1660) a graduate of Trinity College on 2nd Nov 1637. Richard Russell senior died the following year being buried in the parish on 30th August 1638. His son was also buried there on 11th Oct 1660 and replaced for a short time by Rev. Benjamin Way. Richard Russell senior's grandson Richard Russell MA (1629-1667) a graduate of Christ's College was in turn rector there from 1663 until his untimly death in 1667.
Source (CCEd) (OXA) (OPC) West Stafford list of Rectors (PR) West Stafford burials Ancestry.com
|[unknown] BUDG||1591||Curate||Source (CCEd): Curate of Fordington [Note:- Surname may be Budge?]|
|Willimus CORNISHE [William CORNISH]||1594||Curate||Source (CCEd): Licenced 2 Sep 1591 as Curate of Bath & Wells and then Curate of Fordington on 19 Jul 1594|
|Johannes [John] KINGTON [KYNGTON & KEMPTON]||1600 to 1608||Curate||Rev John KINGTON. He was licenced as Curate of Fordington on 16 July 1600 and appears to have remained there until at least 1608. I have not been able to locate his ordination record but he appears in the church Act Books as curate of Fordington on 22 Jul 1603 and 8 Sep 1606. He also signed the Parish Burial Register in 1606. Around the time he came to Fordington he appears to have married as he had three children baptised in St George's church (1) Martha Kington bap 23rd Oct 1603; (2) John Kington bap 28th Jan 1605; and (3) Thomas Kington bap 9th July 1608. It's possible that he then died as burial registers for Fordington are missing for the period 1609 to 1613 and a Marie KINGTON a widow remarried to a Richard BARLOE in St Georges church on 1st Aug 1614.There are also no other appointments for him on the Clery of England database. Many records are missing during the Civil War but there is a will of a Thomas KINGTON a clothier of Fordington which was proved on 24th Aug 1663, which might be his youngest son.
Sources: (CCEd), (PR) Fordington. :
|Robert [Robertus] TURCHIN [TUTCHIN]||1628 - 1634||Curate||Rev. Robert TUTCHIN [or TURCHIN] ( - ) I have not so far managed to locate his university career and most records concerning his appointments in the church are also missing. His eldest son was born circa 1623 so he appears to have already been married when he was ordained into the church as deacon on 24 Sep 1625; and priest 22 Sep 1627 by the Bishop of Bristol. He arrived in Fordington on 4 July 1628 when he was appointed curate and assistant to the Rev. Edward Pele (1582-1643) the vicar there. Pele remained vicar at St Georges but removed to Compton to live, more or less leaving the running of the church to his curate. As Robert TURCHIN he signed the Bishops Transcript returns for St Georges church for the years 1628, 1630, 1631 and 1633. He is mentioned in the eccesiastical records in their Act Books on 17 Jun 1631 & 16 Jul 1634 as curate of Fordington.
On 15th May 1631 he baptised his own son Samuel TURCHIN in St Georges church but unfortunately he died after only a few months and was buried there on 20th August. Again from William Whiteway we know he left Fordington on 30 July 1634 for Charminster (where Sir Thomas Trechand gave him £40 per annum in addition to the house and garden in which he lives) where the records show he was licensed as a preacher on 24 Sep 1635 and again on 18 July 1638. He was subsequently lecturer at Bridport (13th July 1642 Lords Journals Volii 670) and a Trier and lecturer at Chideock 17 May 1643 (Commons Journals Vol iii 89) He was confirmed in the Rectory at Bridport 4th April 1646. A Minister on the Isle of Wight at Newport he was there in 1655 or 1657 when he took an assistant William Bicknell straight from university.
According to Edmund Calamy he had three sons who also took holy orders John, Robert and Samuel and all were ejected in 1662. His eldest son John TUTCHIN (1623-aft 1662) was educated at the 'free school'in Dorchester where by the age of ten he had attained 'great proficency in learning'. Whilst a scholar and living in Fordington a 'low country soldier' taught him the 'art military' and 'fortification'. He matriculated at St Catharine's College Cambridge in 1637 at the age of 14 and was awarded an MA by 'special standing' after 5 years. After university the Earl of Kent chose him to a tutor for his son but in 1642 the Civil War broke out in which he took an active part. He became Vicar of Foy in Cornwall but In 1662 he was ejected for non conformity but remained continued to live in the area being valued by the 'sober gentry'. There is a marriage dated 01Oct1655 carried out by the JP Henry BONNER for :- a Robert TUTCHIN of Chedzoy (who is likely to be his 2nd son) and Susanna SHIPIN of Whitelackington, whom he married at Waston. After ejectment he had a separate church in the New Forset and a lecture at Lymington where he died and lies buried in the Chancel of the church. Samuel TUTCHIN, who was presumably born after 1634, matriculated at Wadham College Oxford on 14 Nov 1650 and became the vicar of Odiham in Hampshire. After his ejectment in 1662 he went to the East Indies and was chaplain to the factory Fort St George where he died. The East India company erected a monument and paid a pension to his widow
Sources: Bishops Transcripts for St George church Fordington: CCEd: House of Commons Journal: House of Lords Journal: MRD: William Whiteway His Diary 1618-1635, pages 97, 149, 151: Edmund Calamy An account of the Ministers, Lecturers, masters and fellows of Collegesand Schoolmasters who were ejected or silencedafter the restorationin 1660by or before the act of uniformity published 1713.pages 275, 276
|William (Gulielmus] STRONG (d1654)||1634 - 1639||Curate||
See separate account of the Life of Rev William STRONG (d.1654) Curate of St Georges Church Fordington 1634-1639
|John MARSHE BA (1608-?)||1639 + 1641||Curate||Rev. John MARSHE BA (1608-?)
: He was the son of the Rev John MARSHE (d.1632) the vicar of Stowe cum Membris in Bucks. He matriculated pens from Trinity College Cambridge Michs 1619; scholar from Westminster 1620; BA 1623/4. MA 1627. Incorporated at Oxford University into from St Edmund Hall 31st Jan 1627/8. He was ordained a deacon and a priest at Bristol on 21st Feb 1630 and after his name in the records is a note which states "de parochia Piddlehinton" . Piddlehinton was within the diocese of Bristol, so it looks like he served initially as curate at Piddlehinton. Records are sparse but he appears to have then taken over the Curacy at Fordington from Robert Tutchin in 1639 as the parish registers were signed by Wm Strong in 1638 and John Marsh in 1639. Unfortunately all the parish registers after that date are missing until 1664. He was another strong non conformist however in that whilst serving at Fordington his name appears in the Church Act Books under the date of 4th Nov 1641 with the comment "refuseth to take a license nor shewe his lres of ordin(ation) nor prayed for Byshopps".
Source (CCEd),(CAM), (OXA) (PR) Signed Parish Registers in 1639 as Curate
|Geo: [George or Georgius] STANDLY [ STOODLY]||1672||Curate||Source: PR Source Cleric: Source CCEd: Appointed Curate of Fordington 17 April 1672 The volume in which this subscription appears, was compiled for men subscribing to the declaration against taking up arms against the King prescribed in the Act of Uniformity of 1662.Source PR: Signed - Parish Registers for 1672|
|Francis [Franciscus] BURDEN||1676||Curate||Source CCEd: Appointed Curate of Fordington 19 Jun 1676|
|John [Johannes] DOWLAND||1678 - 1684||Curate||Source: PR Curate signed registers for 1679; 1681 & 1682: Source CCEd Appointed Curate of Fordington 17 June 1678: Mentioned in visitation books 6 Jun 1681; 19 Dec 1681; 12 Jun 1683; 13 Dec 1683; 2 Jul 1684|
|Nathaniel TEMPLEMAN||1767-1781||Curate||Rev. Nathaniel TEMPLEMAN MA (1727-1813):- Follow link for Information on his life.
Source: PR Signed 1767 + 1770 + 1773 + 1776 + 1779 Parish Register as Curate. Note:- in The Fordington PR:- Date: June ye 23rd 1781 The Revd Mr Nathaniel Templeman quitted the Curacy of Fordington by taking Institution to the Rectory of the Holy Trinity cum Frome Whitfield in Dorchester together with the Rectory of St Peters. memorandum: That very thing in this book was written by Nathaniel Templeman and contains a Faithfull and True Register of all Baptisms and Burials which happened in his time . In witness whereof I have set my hand this 3rd day of July 1781 Nathaniel Templeman.
|Tho: [Thomas] BRYERS||1782 + 1788 + 1794 & 1795 marriages||Curate||Source: PR Signed Parish Register 1782 + 1788 as Curate of Fordington : Note went onto become Rector of All saints Dorchester acted as Officiating Minister at Fordington in 1816|
|George WOOD||1796||Curate||Source: Curate [from marriages]|
|Joseph TERRET||1796||Curate||Source: Curate pro lac vice.|
|Pet: [Peter] MILLER||1799||Curate||Source: PR Signed Parish baptism Register 1799 as Curate|
|Horatio MOULE (1805-1886)||1829-1830
|Curate||Rev. Horatio Moule MA (1805 – 1886) Link to his biography: Brother of Rev Henry Moule he was curate at Fordington from 1829-1830 and after a bried period as Vicar of Box in Wiltshire Curate from 1832-1837. Was Chaplain of St Paul’s Cathedral Calcutta from 1845 - 1875|
|Rev Richard MOSLEY (1804-1882)||1831-1832||Curate||Rev. Richard MOSLEY MA (1804 -1882 ) The son of Robert Mosley he was born in London and initially went to school at Hackney. He matriculated at Trinity College Cambridge at the age of 22 on 22nd Feb 1826 and awarded a BA there in 1830 and an MA in 1833. He joined the church being ordained a deacon in Bristol Cathedral on 23rd Jan 1831 and was made a priest on 15th Jan 1832. He was appointed stipendary curate of St Georges Church Fordington on 23rd Jan 1831 by Robert Bishop of Bristol with a request for him to reside within the parish if possible and an annual stipend of £100. His last official event recorded in fordington is a burial on 6th July 1832. He went on to serve as curate at Holy Trinity Church at Ipswitch from 1837 to 1841 before being appointed Vicar of Rotherham in the diocese of York from 1842 to 1872. He died on 14th Feb 1882 at Hastings and his will was proved by his son Rev Henry Mosley on 25th March 1882 at the Principal Registery. He left an estate of £4,241. 18s. 2d
Sources:- Ancestry.com Fordington PR period 1800-1809 (image 11) of his appointment. Crockfords 1868; Cambridge Alumni; Guardian 22nd Feb 1882; Nat Probate Calendar
|Rev William DODGE(1814-1865)||1838-1846||Curate||William DODGE (1814-1865) He was the son of William Dodge of Sherborne (b.1813) where he went to school before matriculating for St Johns College Cambridge in 1832. He was awarded his BA there in 1836 and ordained a deacon in Chester that year and a priest in 1837 when he was made a curate of Over Daren in Lancashire. He married 4th qtr 1837 in Blackburn to Elizabeth Burgess a native of Eccleston in Lancashire. A copy of the Licence given to Revd William Dodge appointing him as stipendiary curate in the parish of Fordington is held at the Dorset history Center (ref. PE/FOR(SG)/IN 2/1 - date: 1838) They settled at Fordington Cross and their first child (1) Elizabeth Dodge was baptised 24th Feb 1839 in St Georges Church Fordington by Rev Henry Moule. They went on to have six children:- (2) Mary Dodge was bap Fordington 10 Nov 1842 by which time they were living at Little Britain in Fordington - Mary died and was buried in St Georges graveyard on 20th Jan 1844 by Rev Henry Moule; (3) William Dodge bap Fordington 13 June 1844 when they were living in the Fordington High street. His last official duties as curate at St Georges church was performed in September 1846 after which he moved to become curate at Hazelbury Bryan. (4) Priscilla Hall Dodge was bap there 18 July 1848; (5) Martha (1850) and (6) Henry Walter Dodge bap 24 June 1856. He tranferred still as a curate to Iwerne Courtney in 1858 remaining there until 1861 when he moved to become curate of Chesselbourne 1861. He was then appointed as Rector of Fifhead Neville in 1862 where he died in 1865. His son William (1864-1930) also joined the church and his career is outlined in the Cambridge Alumni.|
|Rev John Arundell LEAKEY (1823-1890)||1846-1851||Curate||Rev John Arundel LEAKEY (1823-1890) Eldest son of a gentleman James Leakey of St Davids Exeter. Went to Exeter Free Grammer School and entered St Johns Cambridge but migrated to Queens College Oxford whence he matriculated on 28 Jan 1841 aged 18. He was awarded his B.A. there 1844 MA 1877. He was ordained a deacon at Salisbury in 1846 and a priest 2 years later. He was curate of Fordinfton St Georges church from September 1846 to 1851; Curate of Eaton Chapel Pimlico London 1851-1853; curate of St Michaels Chester Square 1853-1857; Vicar of Topsham devon 1857-1880. Rector of St Gerrans 1880-1890 and died at Bath in Somerset in 1890.|
|Rev Albert Frederick ACTON MA (1859-1938)||1894-1897||Curate||
Rev. Albert Frederick ACTON (1859-1938) Son of Thomas LOWE of Newcastle Drive, The Park, Nottingham. Born 2nd April 1859 at Nottingham. School Wellington College. Admitted pens at Trinity College Cambridge 1st June 1878. Matriculated for Michs 1878 awarded his BA 1882; MA 1920; Chich. College 1887; Ordained a deacon 1888; a priest 1889 at Sarum. Curate of Stourpaine 1888-1894; Curate of Fordington St George 1894-1897; Tolpuddle 1900-1901; Rector of West Grimstead Wiltshire 1901-1906; Rector of Brixton Deverill Rectory Warminster, Dio Saraum 1907-1920. Minor Canon of Newcastle. New South Wales Australia 1920-1922; of Neatherd East Dereham Norfolk. Died 20th Sep 1938.
|Rev. William Thomas GODBER||1913-1915||Curate
||Rev William Thomas GODBER : Attended Lich. Th. College 1910; Ordained a Deacon 1913; priest 1915 at salisbury; Curate of st Georges Church Fordington (1913-1915). Curate of ryme Intrinseca with Yetminster and Chetnole (1916-1918) T.C.F. (1918-21: Rector of Winterbourne Came with Winterbourne Farringdon and P.C.of Whitcombe (1921-1930) Chaplain Church of Christ Cannes Villa Raymonde 22 Rue de la Tour Cannes, Diocese of Gibralter from 1930 Sources: Crockfords Dir 1932: Kellys Dir 1915;|
|CHURCH WARDEN||DATE||CHURCH||Jump to: Vicars : Curates: Baptists: Other Ministers in Dorchester:|
|Thomas CHOUNT||1594||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden signed Baptism Register 1594 [Note see 1620 re-entered as 26 year gap?]|
|Wm [William] BYRDE||1594; + 1605; to 1608||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden signed 1605 Baptism Register 1594; Signed 1606 Burial Register + 1607 & 1608 baptisms|
|William BASCOMBE||1606 to 1608 inc||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden signed 1606 Burial register + 1607 & 1608 Baptisms|
|Phillipe FFEARE||1618 & 1623||C/Warden||Source: PR: signed - Parish Registers for 1618 & 1623 as Church Warden|
|Edward JOHNSON||1618 & 1619||C/Warden||Source: PR: signed - Parish Registers for 1618 & 1619 as Church Warden|
|Rafe [Ralph] ROWBAT Senior||1619+ 1622/1623||C/Warden||Source: PR: signed - Parish Registers for 1619 + 1622 as Church Warden|
|Thomas CHOUNT||1620; 1621||C/Warden||Source: PR: signed - Parish Registers for 1620 & 1621 as Church Warden [Note: Sworn in as Constable of Fordington Liberty in Quarter Sessions at sherborne in 1628]|
|Robert STONE||1620||C/Warden||Source: PR: signed - Parish Registers for 1620 as Church Warden|
|Robert FFORDE||1621||C/Warden||Source PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1621 as Churchwarden|
|Anthony EAMES (1595-1686)||1622 + 1627 + 1631||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1622 & 1627 and 1631 as Churchwarden [Note See separate biography of the Life of Anthony Eames (1595-1686)]|
|Robert SEAGER||1623||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1623 as Churchwarden [Note: Sworn in a Constable of Fordington Manor in the Quarter sessions at sherborne April 1628]Note entry below 1633.|
|Robti [Robert] BUN||1624 & 1625||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1624 & 1625 as Churchwarden|
|Rich [Richard] BYSHOP||1624 & 1625||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1624 & 1625 as Churchwarden|
|Wm [William] LAURENCE||1626||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1626 as Churchwarden [Note; Sworn in as Constable of the Manor of Fordington at the Sherborne Quarter sessions April 1626 & 1627]|
|Henry MINTERNE||1626||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1626 as Churchwarden|
|Wm [William] LINNINGTON||1627||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1627 as Churchwarden|
|William COLLINS||1628||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1628 as Churchwarden|
|John WINSOR Senior||1628||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1628 as Churchwarden|
|Owen WALLIS||1630||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1630 as Churchwarden|
|Ambrose HUNTE||1630||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1630 as Churchwarden|
|Robert SEAGER||1633 + 1639||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1633 as Churchwarden: Note entry above 1623|
|Renaldo KNAPTON||1635||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1635 as Churchwarden [Note: in Quarter Sessions held Blandford 11th to 13th July 1637 Renald Knapton Gentleman licensed to sell ale - also had a daughter Martha buried St Georges church Fordington 6 July 1638]|
|John EAMES (1586-1662)||1635||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1635 as Churchwarden [Note:- Elder brother of Anthony Eames (1595-1686) and life covered under his biography]|
|John WINSOR||1637||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1637 as Churchwarden|
|John BRAGGE||1637 + 1639||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1637 as Churchwarden|
|Wm [William] COLLINS||1638||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1638 as Churchwarden|
|William BARNES||1638||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1638 as Churchwarden|
|Hen: [Henry] BURGES||1665||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1665 + 1666 as Churchwarden|
|Mirster? BUUNES?||1666||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed - Parish Registers 1665 + 1666 as Churchwarden|
|Robert N TOPP||1666||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1666 as Church warden|
|William SEAGER||1667||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1667 as Church warden|
|[llegible name] PAGE||1667||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1667 as Church warden|
|[llegible name] RASKER||1669||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1669 as Church warden|
|Rogar WINSOR||1669||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1669 as Church warden|
|Henry CROOME||1672||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1672 as Church warden|
|Ambrose HUNT||1672||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1672 as Church warden|
|Edw: [Edward] EAMES (1618-1685)||1675||C/Warden||Edward EAMES (1618-1685) Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1675 as Church warden [Note:- Edward was the son of Richard EAMES the elder brother of Anthony Eames (1595-1686) and his life is covered under Anthony's biography]|
|Nichoas [Nicholas] RASKER||1679||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1679 as Church warden|
|William MINTERNE||1679 + 1682 to 1685 inc + 1693 to 1695 inc + 1701 to 1703 inc||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1679 + 1682 to 1685 inc + 1693 to 1695 + 1703 as Church warden|
|Simon BALE||1681||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1681 as Church warden|
|William COLLINS||1681 + 1687 + 1688||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1681 + 1687 + 1688 as Church warden|
|William SEAGER||1682 to 1684 inc + 1692 + 1706||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1682 - 1683 inc + 1692 + 1706 as Church warden|
|Simon BALE[S]||1685 + 1686 + 1696 to1698 inc||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1685 & 1686 + 1696 to 1699 inc as Church warden|
|Richard CHURCHILL||1686||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1686 as Church warden|
|John INGRAM||1687||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1687 as Church warden|
|John SEAGER||1688 + 1689 + 1691 +1692 +1700 to 1703 inc + 1706 + 1708||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1688 & 1689 + 1691& 1692 + 1700 to 1703 inc + 1706 + 1708 as Church warden|
|Mell COX||1693 to 1699 inc||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1693 to 1696 inc + 1698 & 1699 as Church warden|
|William IBERTSON?||1700||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1700 as Church warden|
|William COLLINS||1708||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1708 as Church warden|
|Tho: [Thomas] TERRELL or TIRRELL||1723; 1725 - 1727 & 1743||C/Warden||Source Poor Law Records Indenture for William Churchill 12 July 1723 Churchwarden ; Source Overseers Accounts 1725 signatory : + Vestry 19 Oct 1727: Source: PR : Signed Parish Registers 1743 as Church warden|
|Charles PITFIELD (1665-1743)||1723 + 1726-1728||C/Warden||
Charles PITFIELD (1665-1743) Charles was baptised at Chaldon Herring in Dorset on 12th Dec 1665 the son and heir of Sebastian Pitfield (1632-1702) by his wife Christian Meadon (1641- 1715). The family moved to Broadmayne circa 1679/80 before settling in Fordington around 1685. Charles married an Amy [Eamey] [surname unknown] circa 1720 and had three children baptised in Fordington:-
(2) Charles Pitfield (1723-1801) bap 5th Apr 1724 he married Mary Bishop (1722-1794) at St Georges Church on 5th Oct 1746 and was buried at Fordington on 8th Sep 1801.
(3) Sebastian Pitfield (1726 -1794 ) bap 23rd Feb 1726/7. He married on 30th Nov 1756 to Mary Woodsford at St Georges Church Fordington.
Charles died at the age of 76 being buried at Fordington on 13th July 1743. Letters of Administration for his estate are at the Wilshire archives.
Sources: Poor Law Records Indenture for William Churchill 12 July 1723 Churchwarden : Also end of 1725 Accounts & Vestry 19 Oct 1727 + Vestry 3 Oct 1728 & rendered the Extraordinary Account; Pitfield Family Website; St Georges Baptism & Burial registers
|George GOULD||1725 & 1726||C/Warden||Source Overseers Accounts Vestry Minutes eg 3 Jan 1725 + end of year accounts|
|William CHURCHILL||1725 & 1727; 1728||C/Warden||Source Overseers Accounts Vestry Minutes eg 3 Jan 1725 & 19 Oct 1727 & 22 Apr 1728: Also Poor Law indenture 1723 refers to him as a husbandmen & gives an indemnity to Thomas Terrel and Charles Pitfield churchwardens. Parish Register shows his burial 'Mr William CHURCHILL Church Warden was buried 13th March 1728/9'.|
|Benjamin BELLMAN||1725||Overseer||Source Overseers Accounts Vestry Minutes 3 Jan 1725; 13 Feb 1725|
|John INGRAM||1725 & 1728||Overseer
|Source Overseers Accounts 1725 Signed as Overseer 1728 signed as Churchwarden|
|George BRINE||1726||Overseer||Source Overseers Accounts completed 22 Apr 1726 return|
|John COWARD||1728||Overseer||Source Overseers Accounts Signed 3 Oct 1728|
|Jacob HITCHCOCK||1732||C/Warden||Source: PR: Described as Church Warden when Buried 1st Mar 1732/3|
|Chas [Charles] WELLS||1739||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1739 as Church warden|
|Wm [William] HACKHAM||1739||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1739 as Church warden|
|Francis PURCHASE||1751||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1751 as Church warden|
|John INGRAM||1751||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Registers 1751 as Church warden|
|John MORGAN||1755 + 1757 + 1761||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Baptism Register 1761 as Church warden|
|John NELSON||1755 + 1757||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Register 1758 as Church warden|
|Seth BANCKS Minister||1761||Source: PR Signed Registers 1761 page 1 as Minister page 2 as Cleric|
|Tho. [Thomas] TERRELL||1761 + 1762 + 1767 + 1773||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Registers 1761 + 1767 + 1773 as Church warden|
|James BROOKE||1762 + 1767 + 1770 + 1773 + 1776 + 1779 + 1782 & 1783||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Registers 1762 + 1767 + 1770 + 1773 + 1776 + 1779 + 1782 as Church warden: Source OA Signed Jun & Aug 1783 Accts as Churchwarden|
|Jn [John] MORGAN||1782 - 1784 + 1788 + 1799||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Register for 1782 + 1788 + 1799 as Church warden: Source OA signed most Monthly Accounts 1782 to 1784 as Churchwarden|
|Samuel HELLARD||1782 & 1783||Overseer||Source OA: Signed May; Sep to Nov 1782 & Mar to April 1783 Accounts as Overseer|
|Joseph BONNETT||1782 + 1789||Overseer||Source OA Signed Sep 1782 & Sep 1789 Accounts as Overseer|
|John WOOD||1782 + 1795||Overseer then Curate||Source OA: Signed May & Oct 1782 Accounts as a Churchwarden - assume he went on to become a Curate: Source: Curate PR [from marriages]|
|William CAVE||1782||Overseer||Source OA: Signed March & April 1782 Accounts as Overseer: Note may have become a Churchwarden see 1800 - 1803|
|James HARRIS||1782||Overseer||Source OA: Signed April 1782 Account as Overseer|
|John HAYNE||1783||Overseer||Source OA: Signed June to Mar 1784 Accounts as Overseer|
|Amos STYLE||1783||Overseer||Source OA: Signed June to Dec 1783 Accounts as Overseer + Apr 1784|
|Reuben MASTERS||1784||Overseer||Source OA: From June 1784 Signed Accounts as Overseer|
|William MASTERS||1784||Overseer||Source OA: From June 1784 Signed Accounts as Overseer|
|ChFred [Charles Frederick?] BROOKE||1788||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Register 1788 as Church warden|
|Richard BRIDPORT||1789||Overseer||Source OA: May 1789 Signed Accounts as Overseer; Richard Bridport Yeoman of Forthington was granted administration (along with Thomas Gould Read of Dorchester) of the estate of Dorothy Gillingham (late Dorothy White) on 19th January 1778 (Image on Ancestry.com).|
|Thomas LOVELACE||1791||Overseer||Source OA: Mar 1791 Signed Accounts as Overseer|
|James HARRIS||1792||Overseer||Source OA: Jan 1792 Signed Accounts as Overseer|
|Thos [Thomas] BEDLOE||1794 marriages + 1799||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden|
|Thomas BEDLOE||1799||C/Warden||Source: PR Signed Parish baptism Register 1799 as Church warden|
|John MORGAN||1799 + 1812||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Baptism Register 1812 as Church warden|
|Will [William] CAVE||Triennial 1800 to 1803 dated 31 Aug 1803 + Tiennial Return 1803 - 1806 undated||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Baptism Register 1800 + 1806 as Church warden [Note may have previously been an Overseer of the Poor see 1782|
|Will [William] MASTERS||Triennial 1800 to 1803 dated 31 Aug 1803 + Triennial Return 1803 - 1806 undated||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Baptism Register 1800 + 1806 as Church warden|
|Edward ENSOR||Triennial Return 1806 - 1809 undated||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Baptism Register 1809 as Church warden|
|Edward CAVE||Triennial Return 1806 - 1809 undated||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Baptism Register 1809 as Church warden|
|Joseph BEDLOE||Triennial Return 1809 - 1812 dated 26 Aug 1812||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden|
|Philip Edward ELLIOTT||Triennial Return 1809 - 1812 dated 26 Aug 1812||C/Warden||Source: PR: Signed Parish Baptism Register 1812 as Church warden|
|John MORGAN||1813 to 1815 inc||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden|
|Edward ELLIOTT||1813 to 1815 inc+ 1819||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden|
|Joseph CUST||1816; 1818||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden|
|Rev H HARTWELL||1816||Source: PR Officiating Minister|
|John LEGG||1816; 1818||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden|
|John HAYNE||1819||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden|
|Edward William CAVE||1820||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden|
|James BROOKS||1813 - 1820 inc||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden: Note buried Fordington 4th jan 1837 Parish Clerk|
|Robert DAMON||1824 + 1826||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden|
|Joseph BEDLOE||1824 + 1826||C/Warden||Source: PR: Church warden|
|Tim BULLICK||2012||C/Warden||Source: National Church Trust|
|Margaret MORRISSEY (b.1943) OBE||Apr 2006 to
|C/Warden||Director of Poundbury Manco 3 Ltd Unity Chambers 34 High East St Dorchester incorporated 19th Nov 2003; Founder of Parentsoutloud website 2008; Press officer at NCPTA, Sources: PR: Margaret Morrisey; Uk.linkedin.com;|
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids