|CEMETERIES INDEX FOR WASHINGTON COUNTY PA||SITE MAP--
|SIGN WASHPA THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS GUESTBOOK or|
SEARCH MY WASHINGTON COUNTY PENNSYLVANIA WEBSITES
Freefind may restrict total results from all 7 websites.
OTHER FAMILIES (o_f)
From newspapers of
and Surrounding areas
Are these folks your family?
Use Site Search to easily find names.
|July 25, 1941
Surprised on 57th Anniversary
Mr. and Mrs. J. E. FOX were pleasantly surprised last Saturday when a number of relatives gathered in their home in First street to help them celebrate their fifty-seventh wedding anniversary. A beautiful cake and a bountiful lunch were brought by the relatives and served picnic style. Present were Mrs. S. B. SETZLER of Coffeyville, Kans., the J. C. TRUXFORDs and the Albert THATCHERs and daughter Betty Jane of Overbrook, the John A. SCHRADERs, son and his family of Aspinwall, and William TRUXFORD and daughters Salome and Alice of McKeesport.
|April 16, 1943 MOTTE Anniv
McDonald PA Record-Outlook
Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary
Mr. and Mrs. Hilaire MOTTE of 136 Fifth street, McDonald, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary Tuesday. They were married on April 13, 1893, in McDonald. Mr. MOTTE was born May 5, 1867, in Belgium the son of Alex and Flora MOTTE, Mrs. MOTTE was born January 2, 1876, in Belgium, the daughter of Eugene and Marie QUINET. Both came to the United States at a very early age. Mr. MOTTE has been a teacher of music in McDonald for over 25 years, and is still following his profession having a class of more than thirty boys and girls. They have three daughters: Mrs. Louis P. LAVIE, with whom they make their home, and Mrs. Frank L. HEINRICH and Mrs. Howard A. COTTLE, all of McDonald, and three grandchildren: Pvt. Louis P. LAVIE, Jr., of Camp Shelby, Miss., and Richard LAVIE and Marilyn COTTLE of McDonald.
|December 3, 1943
McDonald Couple Celebrate Golden Wedding Anniversary.
The club house was beautifully decorated for the occasion, there being many golden chrysanthemums, some of them being gifts. The appointments were perfect, and there was a pleasant informality. A large number of aides assisted in receiving the guests and in serving a lunch appropriate to the occasion.
A white lace-over-cloth-of-gold cloth covered the dining table. The centerpiece of the table was a large wedding cake, surmounted by two bells.
The afternoon hours were from two until four o'clock. The MCCARTNEY's pastor, the Rev. S. A. MCCOLLAM, D. D. led the family in a brief devotional service before the honor guests departed for their homes for the afternoon. The evening hours were from eight to ten.
There were present many relatives and friends from this and adjoining counties.
The couple received numerous gifts, also congratulations from friends at a distance, who could not be present.
Miss Lou E. GEORGE, one of the aides on Tuesday, was a guest at the wedding fifty years ago.
Mr. and Mrs. MCCARTNEY were married on November 30, 1893, in the home of the bride's parents near Clinton by the late Dr. W. D. IRONS. The MCCARTNEYs now reside at 206 Station street, McDonald.
Mrs. MCCARTNEY, whose maiden name was Anna Barbara WAGNER, was born November 23, 1872, in the Southside, Pittsburgh. Her parents were Herman and Catherine WAGNER. She attended the public schools at Beech Cliff and Clinton, and in 1891 and 1892, the Ingleside academy, McDonald. She united with the First U. P. church and became a member of the Women's Missionary society the first year after her marriage, served as Thank offering secretary of the local society for 25 years, held the same office in the Monongahela presbyterial society for 10 years and taught the Young Women's Bible class of the First U. P. church for 12 years. She joined the Woman's club during the first year of its existence, in 1901-02, and served one term as its president.
Robert (Bert) M. MCCARTNEY was born October 9, 1870, in Findlay township, Allegheny county, the eldest son of Alexander MCCARTNEY and his wife, Elizabeth B. HARPER. From Findlay the family moved to a farm in Moon township. On September 1, 1889, Mr. MCCARTNEY came to McDonald and attended Ingleside academy for two semesters. He entered the mercantile business of J. C. MAY, who afterwards sold out to his employee and the latter's father, Alexander MCCARTNEY, who conducted the business for a number of years as MCARTNEY & Son. The father later sold his interest to the son, who continued alone. The winter of 1893-94 was one of numerous fires in McDonald because of the many oil wells, and Mr. MCCARTNEY was burned out in November 1893 and again in February 1894 suffering serious financial losses. Subsequently he worked for several months as a salesman for Hargrove & Buchheit, gent's furnishers and then was engaged as a commercial messenger to Pittsburgh for 5 ½ years. About 1902 he bought from Samuel SMITH the tobacco store at South McDonald and Barr streets, and had the new routes of all the Pittsburgh dailies, of which there were seven at tat time. Later he became the Chevrolet representative, conducting for a number of years an aggressive sales campaign in both cars and trucks, selling as many as one hundred in one year.
On February 1, 1914, President Woodrow WILSON appointed him McDonald postmaster in which office he served for nine years to the general satisfaction of the patrons.
Always public spirited, he served without pay as secretary of the Chamber of Commerce during its intermittent existence. First elected to the Borough Council in 1904 he served in this office for 14 ½ years. After completion of his last term he was elected borough secretary, which office he holds at the present time.
He has been a member of the First United Presbyterian church since January 17, 1891--a period of nearly 53 years. He has served the church as trustee for several terms of three years each and at the present is the Bible school librarian.
Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. MCCARTNEY--three sons and three daughters. The first born, Kenneth, died at the age of three. Those who survive are: Bernice Lenore, the wife of Paul N. MCBETH of Ingram; R. Murray MCCARTNEY of Third street McDonald; Margaret E. the wife of Wilber L. DAVIDSON of Greensburg; Dr. Herman E. MCCARTNEY, a dentist of Wilkinsburg, Lois A., the wife of Joseph HULL of Crafton. There are ten grandchildren and a great granddaughter.
|July 9, 1943
Fifty-Fifth Wedding Anniversary
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph A. MATCHETT of R. D. 1, Bulger, observed their 55th wedding anniversary on Saturday, July 3. Mr. MATCHETT is 77 years old. Mrs. MATCHETT, 75, is the former Blanch STROUSS. The early years of their married life were spent in Clinton, Allegheny county. In 1902 they moved to their present home. On July 4 the family gathered in the home to celebrate the occasion. A three-tier wedding cake, adorned by a miniature bride and groom formed the table center piece. The MATCHETTS have one daughter and three sons. Twenty one guests make up the four generations present. Besides the honor guests, places were laid for the John D. BAMFORDs of Midway and daughter Eleanor of Belle Vernon, Mrs. William COLE and son Bobby, of Connellsville, Dorothy, Esther and Shirley COLE of Midway, the Neal MATCHETTS, sons Dale and Wayne, and daughter Naomi, the Joseph MATCHETTs, Jr., and the S. D. MATCHETTs, son Jay, and daughter Edith. Two grandsons in the army were unable to be present: M/Sgt. Neal MATCHETT, somewhere overseas, son of the Neal MATCHETTs, and Pvt. Dean MATCHETT, Stationed at Ft. Story, Va., son of the S. D. MATCHETTs.
|July 9, 1943
Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary
Mr. and Mrs. John MITCHELL celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary July 4 in their home in Midway. Tables had been set on the lawn and motion pictures ere to have been taken but the sudden rain prevented these. The MITCHELLs have one daughter, Edna Mae, the wife of Walter MORROW, and two sons, Earl and Edwin. Dinner was served to twenty and supper to thirty-two. The honored couple received a number of gifts of glass, china, linen, and money. Present were the Earl MITCHELLs and son Billy, and the Edwin MITCHELLs and daughter Miss Rose of Oakdale, Mr. and Mrs. Walter MORROW of Massillon, Ohio, Mr. and Mrs. Harry SNODGRAGG and daughters Barbara and Joyce, Mrs. Hannah SNODGRASS, Mrs. Roy SNODGRASS and daughter of Weirton, Mr. and Mrs. William BICKEL, Jr., the William BICKELS, Sr., and daughter May, and Mr. and Mrs. Glenn HURLBUT of Pittsburgh, and Mrs. Annie FORESTER and Mrs. Elizabeth POWELSON of Midway.
|June 4, 1943
Celebrate Golden Anniversary
Mr. and Mrs. James Johnston BOWMAN of R. D. 1, Bridgeville, held open house in their home Monday evening, May thirty first, to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage. They received 75 relatives and friends who called during the evening to offer their congratulations. Their three daughters--Mrs. Henry PARKES, Helen J. BOWMAN, and Mrs. James D. MOORE--and their son, Pfc. John R. BOWMAN, who is surviving with the armed forces at Fort Eustis, Va., received with their parents.
Ella J. ROSS and James J. BOWMAN were united in marriage at the home of Gertrude BOWMAN and Joseph ROSS, brother and sister of the bride and groom on May 31, 1893, in McKeesport by the Reverend A. I. YOUNG, then pastor of the United Presbyterian church of that city. After a honeymoon spent at the World's fair in Chicago they moved to their present home at Bridgeville.
Mr. and Mrs. ROSS, at whose home they were married, celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on October 14, 1935, in their home, Union street, McKeesport [Pa].
Mr. and Mrs. BOWMAN received many beautiful flowers, gifts and cards as tokens of friendship and many telephone calls of congratulations and good wishes.
| These newspaper items were
researched and typed by Victoria Hospodar Valentine for the over the
course of 5 years. Vicki had submitted hundreds of articles to the
PAWASHIN-L@rootsweb.com mailing list and other Lists.
Her work is presented here in the McDonald, PA section of this website. Please use the links to navigate or use on-site search engines to locate articles.
Use the search feature to search the entire collection.
me to One Page List of ALL Newspaper Items
(Long, will need to scroll down.)
Go to Site
Map - FULL - everything on One Page
(Long, will need to scroll down.)