|CEMETERIES INDEX FOR WASHINGTON COUNTY PA||SITE MAP--
|SIGN WASHPA THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS GUESTBOOK or|
Remainder of Genealogy / Family Sites
Use every search
|Notice: In order to continue using the free side of Pico Search, the 2 Sites had to be split into separate searches.|
OTHER FAMILIES (o_f)
From newspapers of
and Surrounding areas
Are these folks your family?
Use Site Search to easily find names.
|March 7, 1924
McDonald PA Record
On Monday, March third, Mr. and Mrs. E. N. HOUGH celebrated quietly at their home their sixty-first wedding anniversary. Their hosts of friends congratulated them and wish for them many years of health and happiness.
|June 27, 1924
McDonald PA Record
Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Borland BROWN celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage at the BROWN homestead near Hickory on Wednesday, about eighty relatives and friends being present. At one o'clock a four-course dinner was served, the bride and bridegroom of fifty years entering the dining room to the strains of Lohengrin's wedding march. Twelve were seated at the bride's table, and a color scheme of gold and white was carried out in exquisite taste.
Mr. BROWN is a son of the late David and Rebecca BORLAND BROWN, pioneer settlers in Allegheny county, where he was born. When he was very young the family moved to their farm in this county, a part of the original George WASHINGTON tract, where he has reside continuously for the past seventy years, following farming with marked success.
Mrs. BROWN whose maiden name was Isabelle RUSSELL, is a daughter of the late Andrew and Jane MILLER RUSSELL of Mt. Pleasant township, and the marriage took place at the RUSSELL homestead on June 25, 1874. The ceremony was performed by the late Dr. W. A. MCCONNELL, then pastor of the Mt. Pleasant United Presbyterian church, of which both have been members since early youth.
Of a family of nine children, seven are living, and were with their parents in celebration of half a century of wedded life. John E., an electrician, lives near Hickory; Dorothy is a teacher in the Pittsburgh schools, William R. a farmer, of near Hickory; Dr. Walter E., a specialist, of Pittsburgh; Robert Russell, in business in New York City; Jane M., of the Washington Y. W. C. A.; Margaret, at home; David A. and Roy M. are not living. There are eight grandchildren.
Guests were present from Pittsburgh, Washington, Steubenville, Uniontown and other places. Miss Elizabeth MILLER, formerly of Hickory, now of Pittsburgh, aged 89, was the oldest guest, and the youngest was Betty Jane HOOP of Uniontown, the only great grandchild.
The day was ideal and the friends mingled happily in the shade of the ancestral maples. Old-time songs were sung by Miss VAN SCYOC of Pittsburgh, and by Mrs. Russell BROWN. Isabelle BROWN, a granddaughter recited, "That Old Sweetheart of Mine."
Mr. and Mrs. BROWN are held in high esteem in the community, and their many friends rejoice with them in their fifty years of married life.
|June 20, 1924
McDonald PA Record
Congregation Observes Golden Wedding of Pastor and Wife
The fiftieth wedding anniversary of Dr. and Mrs. W. D. IRONS was appropriately observed on Tuesday evening, June 17th, by the First United Presbyterian congregation of McDonald, of which Dr. IRONS has been the faithful pastor for forty-four years. The auditorium had been elaborately decorated with palms, ferns and summer flowers. At eight o'clock the congregation had filled the church to overflowing. Mrs. Mel MOORHEAD was at the organ. Following a prelude, Mrs. William G. COOK sang, "O Promise Me," the bride and bridegroom of fifty years ago being at the church entrance. To the strains of the Lohengrin wedding march Dr. and Mrs. IRONS made their way to the chancel, preceded by four little girls gowned in white--Hilda COOK, Alice Jean VALENTOUR, Lois MCCARTNEY and Mary Elizabeth JOHNS--who strewed flowers in their pathway. Dr. and Mrs. IRONS were followed by Mr. and Mrs. T. M. DOUGLASS, Mrs. Richard GLADDEN, Mr. John A. HUNTER and Mr. Samuel SMITH, who were members of this church when Dr. IRONS became its pastor. About twenty members of Dr. and Mrs. IRONS' family were then seated to the right of the chancel.
*Remainder of prayers, poems and appreciations cut for brevity.
Second article on a different page.
The family of Dr. and Mrs. IRONS assembled at the home during the day and celebrated by happy association, the long-to-be-remembered day. Those of the family present were: Attorney and Mrs. Harold M. IRONS and family of Pittsburgh, Prof. William V. IRONS of Buffalo, N. Y., Mr. and Mrs. Joseph IRONS of Noblestown, Mr. and Mrs. William CRAMER and daughter, Mrs. Philip CONNELLY of Wooster, Ohio, Miss Mary VAN ORSDELL of New Wilmington, a sister of Mrs. IRONS, and Mr. and Mrs. James IRONS of Avalon. Mr. IRONS is a brother of Dr. IRONS.
June 20, 1924
McDonald PA Record
WILL Golden Wedding
Mr. and Mrs. Jacob WILL, for more than twenty years residents of McDonald, on Tuesday afternoon, June 17, 1924, celebrated their golden wedding at their spacious home in Lincoln avenue, surrounded by their family and a host of friends. Guests from a distance began to arrive at one o'clock and they came and went until the hour of five. There was no special form of entertainment for the afternoon. It was "open house" and old-fashioned hospitality, lunch being served informally. Greetings were exchanged, congratulations extended, and reminiscences enjoyed by friends of long standing.
In 1871 Jacob WILL, then a young man 18 years of age, of German descent, settled in the town of West Newton, Westmoreland county, Pa., where he started in business as the only white barber in the community, and came into close contact with such prominent business men as Philip J. ROHLAND, Jacob GEOTCHEY, Isaac DOWNS and George CROUSHORE.
In the course of his social life he became acquainted with Mrs. John ANDY, Mrs. Anna Belle COLLINS, Miss Lucy GEOTCHEY, afterwards Mrs. George CROUSHORE.
About the year 1873 Mrs. Anna Belle COLLINS, who lived at Connellsville, visited her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Philip J. ROHLAND, at West Newton. Mrs. COLLINS was accompanied by her sister-in-law, Miss Anna Belle COLLINS, the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William L. COLLINS of Connellsville, who became acquainted with Mr. WILL and later--June 17, 1874--they were united in marriage by the Rev. Mr. COLLIER at Connellsville. They began their married career at West Newton, where Mr. WILL continued in the barber business until the year 1886.
There were born to this happy couple six children, three boys and three girls, of whom five are living. They are John E. of New Kensington (1875), Mrs. H. H. BEATTY of Midway (1877), Guy C., of McDonald (1878), C. Lyman of McDonald (1880), and Mrs. B. F. KENNEDY of McDonald (1882). Miss Anna Mae (1884) died of peritonitis in McDonald September 19, 1903.
There has been born in the family 16 grandchildren and three great grandchildren.
Jacob WILL was the second son of Joseph and Emma WILL, born at Birmingham, now the Southside, Pittsburgh. There are three brothers: Philip, John and Frank, and one sister, Mrs. Barbara WEINHEIMER. When seven years of age his parents removed to Dravosburg, where the father was employed at the Smith Coal works, opposite McKeesport. It was two years later when a terrible accident took place on the Smith Coal Co. tipple and five men were killed, among whom were Mr. WILL's father and the superintendent of the coal company. In less than six months the mother was stricken by death, leaving five orphan children, the oldest nine years of age and the youngest an infant born after the father's death.
Mr. WILL, at the age of nine years worked in the coalmines as a trapper boy. Later he was taken into the home of Henry ROHE, then of the Southside, Pittsburgh, now a resident of Duquesne, as an apprentice to the barber trade. Mr. ROHE tells the story that one day, after about two years of apprenticeship, he sent young Jacob on an errand, and that he never returned. He next heard of him at West Newton, where he later set himself up in the barber business and was quite successful, but not until he had married Miss Anna Belle COLLINS. Miss COLLINS was the youngest daughter of William L. and Sara COLLINS of Connellsville. Her mother, whose name was GLENDENNING, died in 1873, leaving a family of five boys: James, George, John, Robert and William, all of whom become railroad enginemen. There were also six girls in the family, Mrs. James CURL being the oldest of the family, now being 80 years of age, Mrs. Haddie MITCHELL (deceased), Miss Althea COLLINS, Mrs. M. E. WAHN, Mrs. William HUTCHISON and Mrs. Jacob WILL. The father, William L. COLLINS, was a tailor by trade, his father being one of the first tailors to travel over the country, cutting and fitting clothes made from homespun cloth. It is said that he traveled as far north as Kittanning to get cloth and measurements for his work. Mr. COLLINS operated a tailoring establishment at Connellsville for a number of years and died at a good old age in the year 1892.
|July 11, 1924
Mr. and Mrs. Frank P. BRANNAN of South McDonald street celebrated the twenty-fifth anniversary of their wedding on Thursday of last week. At six o'clock a four-course dinner was served by their daughter, Miss Sara BRANNAN. A large centerpiece of the season's flowers adorned the table. The dinner party consisted of the immediate family with the Rev. J. I. KROHN and Mrs. Esther PYLE as their guests. After the dinner the Rev. Mr. KROHN presented Mr. and Mrs. BRANNAN with a chest of silver, a gift from their son, John O. BRANNAN, and his wife. Miss Margaret PARR and Frank P. BRANNAN were united in marriage July 3, 1899, at the parsonage of the Willow Island Baptist church in Parkersburg, W. Va., the Rev. Harvey COVER officiating. Mrs. BRANNAN attended this church when a child and at the age of sixteen joined it. Mr. and Mrs. BRANNAN went to housekeeping in Waverly, W. Va., latter moving to Florence and then to McDonald, and here they have resided for nearly twelve years.
In the evening a number of neighbors and friends met at TILLINGHAST's machine shop and walked in on Mr. and Mrs. BRANNAN, taking them entirely by surprise. After congratulating the happy couple a pleasant evening was passed in vocal and instrumental music and in social conversation. At ten-thirty a delicious lunch, which was furnished by the guests, was served by Mrs. D. W. KELLY, Mrs. Albert RIFLEY, Mrs. Richard PLANCE, and Miss Oley KELLY. The Rev. J. I. KROHN in a few well-chosen words presented Mr. and Mrs. BRANNAN with a well-filled purse of silver, a gift from the guests. Present were the Rev. J. I. KROHN, Mr. and Mrs. Charles KENNEDY, Mr. and Mrs. Richard L. PLANCE, Mr. and Mrs. Raymond C. WHITNEY, Mrs. D. W. KELLY, Mrs. F. M. HUNT, Mrs. Esther PYLE, Mrs. Charles MCKEE, Mrs. Oliver BISH, Mrs. Albert RIFLEY, Mrs. Arthur ROSECRANS, Mrs. William GARRETT, Mrs. Clarence BISH, Mrs. Benjamin LEWIS, Jr., Miss Oley KELLY, Mrs. Gertrude KELLY, Miss Nellie ROSECRANS, Miss Margaret KELSO, Miss Mildred LEWIS, Miss Mildred BISH, Miss Ruth ROSECRANS, Miss Mary HUNT, H. M. KELSO, Benjamin BISH, J. Oren KELLY. The guests departed at eleven o'clock wishing Mr. and Mrs. BRANNAN many more happy anniversaries and that they will live to celebrate their golden wedding twenty-five years hence.
| These newspaper items were
researched and typed by Victoria Hospodar Valentine for the over the
course of 5 years. Vicki had submitted hundreds of articles to the
PAWASHIN-L@rootsweb.com mailing list and other Lists.
Her work is presented here in the McDonald, PA section of this website. Please use the links to navigate or use Pico or Freefind search engines to locate articles.
Use the search feature to search the entire collection.
me to One Page List of ALL Newspaper Items
(Long, will need to scroll down.)
Go to Site
Map - FULL - everything on One Page
(Long, will need to scroll down.)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids