FIGDORE, George Washington
- Born: 16 Sep 1874, York 13,14,15
- Married: 5 Dec 1897 12
- Died: 13 Dec 1941, at home, York, R.D.7 9,13,15,16
- Buried: 16 Dec 1941, Mt. Zion 13,16
1928, lived in Springettsbury Twp.
George's funeral: guests included M/M Charles& Eli Cunningham, Mrs. Walter Sipe, Maynard Sipe, Mrs. Harry Wallick.
George made two overseas trips during the 1920's. Ellis Island records indicate that he arrived Sept 9, 1920 from Hamilton, Bermuda on the ship "Fort Hamilton." Record indicates his age as 47. Second trip shows his arrival on Feb. 19, 1924 from Havana, Cuba on the ship "Siboney". Age given as 49. Note age discrepancy between the two. Partial listing of ships' records show that there were several of the same people on both trips and that a lot of the passengers were from York. No indication that Mary went with him, nor that there were any wives. Probably was a business trip to install machinery. 17,18
1. Immigration, 9 Sep 1920, Hamilton, Bermuda. 19 Ellis Island records indicate that George arrived on Sep 9, 1920 traveling on ship "Fort Hamilton" from Hamilton, Bermuda. Gave his age as 47. There were a fair number of York and York County residents on board, mostly not traveling with spouses. Probably indicates that this was a business trip, most likely installation of some equipment.
2. Immigration, 19 Feb 1924, Havana, Cuba. 20 Immigtration records show that George arrived at Ellis Island on Feb 19, 1924 on ship "Siboney" traveling from Havana, Cuba. He gave his age as 49. Note discrepancy with previous immigration record. Same comment applies as for previous, probably job related trip.
George married Mary Elizabeth SIPE, daughter of Jno (Jonathan?) SIPE and Margaret UNKNOWN, on 5 Dec 1897.12 (Mary Elizabeth SIPE was born on 19 Mar 1874 in Springettsbury Twp 14,15, died on 10 Apr 1952 in the home of her son-in-law and daughter Mr. & Mrs. Otis R. Golden Sr., Hallam R.D.1 9,15,21,22 and was buried on 13 Apr 1952 in Mt. Zion 21,23.)
George's age given as 23, occupation as moulder, and residence as Spring Garden Twp. Mary's age given as 23, no occupation, and residence as Springettsbury Twp.
Living on Mt. Zion Rd in 1910 & 1920
1941 living at York RD7 (could be house on Ridge Rd, Pleasureville) 24