William Joy married Nancy Bishop or Cline and raised their family along the Ohio River near Marietta, Washington County, Ohio. There was another couple also named William Joy and Nancy Cline/Kline living in this area in ajacent Monroe County. Much confusion exists among researchers and it is uncertain that they are related to each other. Some say John William is the correct name of our ancestor and William Levi is the other. There is also the possibility that our William married Nancy Bishop not Cline. Our William Joy was born in Virginia while the other was born in Pennsylvania according to the 1860 U.S. Census. Ours is buried at Brookfield in Washington County, Ohio while his wife, Nancy, is buried in Blair, Nebraska where she went to live with a son following her husband's death in 1870.
My husband, Emerson Hanlon, who was born in Ohio, is a descendant of the Washington County couple.
1) William Joy m. Nancy Cline/Bishop
2) George William Joy m. Elizabeth Ann Adams
3) John William Joy m. Nancy Catherine Lee
4) Bessie May Joy m. Emmitt Emerson James Martin
5) Kathryn Nancy Martin m. Harold Clinton Hanlon
6) Donald Emerson Hanlon m. LaVonnee Rae Suchocki (me)
Return to HOME PAGE