Generation No. 1|
1. CHARLES FAY and his wife, MARGARET SLUYTER, were born 1795 in Delaware County, New York. Charles died 6/5/1875, aged 79 years, 6 months and 18 days. |
Children of CHARLES FAY and MARGARET SLUYTER are:
i. EMELINE FAY (#6), b. August 09, 1819, Troupsburg, New York; d.
July 14, 1904, Star Prairie; m. NELSON A. MILLARD; b. May
17, 1818; d. August 31, 1877.
ii. RUEL KEITH FAY (#7), b. November 26,
1821, Troupsburg, New York; d. January 05, 1888, Star Prairie.
iii. WILLIAM SLUYTER FAY (#8), b. May 01, 1827, Allegheny County,
NY; d. December 26, 1896, Star Prairie.
iv. ELVIRA FAY, b. 1833; m. ERASTUS JOHNSON.
v. ELIZA FAY (#9), b. August 08, 1835; d. February 25, 1900; m.
CHARLES S. HASKINS.
vi. MELVIN FAY.
vii. MARIA FAY.
viii. CYNTHIA FAY (#9b), m. DWELLY FULLER HASKINS; b. May 5, 1828.
6. EMELINE FAY (CHARLES) was born August 09, 1819 in Troupsburg, New York, and died July 14, 1904 in Star Prairie. She married NELSON A. MILLARD. He was a millright/fortright, and was born May 17, 1818, and died August 31, 1877.|
Children of EMELINE FAY and NELSON MILLARD are:|
i. LOUVISA MILLARD, m. ED SIMONDS.
ii. NETTIE MILLARD (#10).
iii. CASSIUS MILLARD (#11).
iv. CHARLES MILLARD (#12).
7. RUEL KEITH FAY (CHARLES) was born November 26, 1821 in Troupsburg, New York, and died January 05, 1888 in Star Prairie, Wisconsin. He married MINERVA JANE SHAW July 21, 1846 in Troupsburg, New York. She was born August 13, 1827 in Ware, Massachussetts, and died December 24, 1883 in Los Angeles, California.|
In 1866 the R K Fays along with the William Fays moved to Star
Prairie, Wisconsin. Ruel Keith better known as R K, was a school teacher, and
was known as a great disciplinarian. It was said that R K cut a new
switch each day. Later he became a representative of St. Croix
county in the state assembly in Madison, Wisconsin.
|From the book "Oxcart Days" by William Silver|
Hon. R. K. Fay, born in 1822, came from New York to Wisconsin in
1849, locating at Princeton, where he resided for nine years, most of the
time engaged as the principal of the high school at that place. He was a
man of sterling character, who is remembered as an able teacher and
public spirited citizen. He has been assemblyman from Adams and St. Croix
counties, and a county superintendent of schools, and has taught
school (p. 193) forty- nine terms. When a member from St. Croix county, he
introduced the bill requiring that constitutions of the United States
and of Wisconsin to be taught in the common schools. He died at his
home in Star Prairie, Jan 5, 1888. Five sons and five daughters
survive him. His wife died about three years ago (1883).
From the Library of Congress, "Pioneering the Upper Midwest: Books from
Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, ca. 1820-1910. (database on-line)|
Washington: Library of Congress, 1999. Folsom, William Henry Carman. "Fifty
Years in the Northwest" St. Paul, MN: Pioneer Press Co., 1888.)
Children of RUEL FAY and MINERVA SHAW are:|
i. WILLIAM MELVIN FAY, b. 1844, served in the Civil War and was killed at Ericksburg, Mississippi on May 28, 1863.
ii. WILBUR E. FAY (#16), b. 1847; d. May 20, 1904, Chicago, Illinois.
iii. ROWENA FAY (#13), b. 1849, died in Sarasota, Florida.
iv. TRIPHOSA FAY (#14), born July 1854. (also spelled Tryphosa)
v. TRIPHENA FAY, born July 1854, died in infancy. Twin to Triphosa. (also spelled Tryphena)
vi. MARGARET FAY, b. 1855, m. HINES BUCHANAN.
vii. PHILA FAY, b. 1857, m. ANDREW ASP of Sarasota, Florida
viii. ELLA FAY (#15), b. June 14, 1860; d. April 08, 1918.
ix. LEVI E. FAY, b. 1866, m. TINA ASP of Missoula, Montana.
x. THEODORE D. FAY (#17), b. January 29, 1868, Star Prairie; d. May 16, 1898, Woodruff, Wisconsin.
xi. CHARLES E. FAY, d. Spokane, Washington; m. (1) S. WHITE;
m. (2) LOLA SCOTT.
xii. JOHN F. FAY (#18).
8. WILLIAM SLUYTER FAY (CHARLES) was born May 01, 1827 in Allegheny County, NY, and died December 26, 1896 in Star Prairie. He married ELIZABETH NEWTON, who was born April 03, 1836 in Haverhill, Grafton County, New Hampshire, and died June 28, 1916 in Star Prairie.|
From the book "Oxcart Days"
William along with his brother Ruel Keith moved to Star Prairie in
1866. Uncle Bill and Aunt Lib as they were fondly known built their little
frame house, always a hospitable place, at the foot of the hill, just
as you go into Star Prairie. Bill owned and operated a farm at the top
of the hill. After the good old custom, common in Europe, the Fays
lived and kept their stock within the village limits and raised their
produce on the farm at the crest of the hill. Their home overflowed with
good fellowship, and Aunt Lib with her heart warming philosophy of life,
was the source of comfort to all her neighbors and friends.
Children of WILLIAM FAY and ELIZABETH NEWTON are:|
i. JEAN JAY FAY (#19), b. May 24, 1856, Princeton, Green Lake Co., WI.
ii. WILLIAM CHARLES FAY, b. March 08, 1858, Oak Grove, Dodge Co.,
WI; d. 12/16/1862.
iii. JOHN RUEL FAY (#20), b. October 27, 1859, Burnett, Dodge Co., WI.
iv. ELIZA ANN FAY, b. June 25, 1861, Preston, Adams Co.,
WI; d. 10/4/1861.
v. MAY E. FAY, b. May 24, 1863, Preston, Adams Co., WI; d.
May 26, 1914, Star Prairie; m. CHARLES HUMPREY LITTLEFIELD, June 08, 1899, Prentice, WI; b. December 13, 1865; d. July 29, 1908.
vi. GEORGE NEWTON FAY I, b. October 06, 1865, Preston,
Adams Co., WI; d. July 1866.
vii. MINA MINERVA FAY (#21), b. June 07, 1867, Star Prairie; d. April 28, 1939, Siren, WI (Burnett County).
viii. EMMETT M. FAY (#22), b. October 03, 1868, Star Prairie; d. July 17, 1949, Amery, WI.
ix. GEORGE NEWTON FAY II (#23),
b. July 09, 1871, Star Prairie; d. 1928, Star Prairie.
x. MAUDE MARKSTEAD FAY (#24), b.
December 28, 1875, Star Prairie, WI; d. May 21, 1920.
9. ELIZA FAY (CHARLES) was born August 08, 1835, and died February 25, 1900. She married CHARLES S. HASKINS, son of WRIGHT HASKINS and MERCY FULLER. He was born April 15, 1830, and died after 1900.|
Children of ELIZA FAY and CHARLES HASKINS, born at Star Prairie, are:|
i. LESLIE H. HASKINS, born February 1854.
iii. WILLIAM A. HASKINS, born April 1855.
ii. CLARA HASKINS, born May 1860.
iv. LILLIAN HASKINS, born March 1868.
v. CHARLES HASKINS JR. Probably died young.
9b. CYNTHIA FAY (CHARLES) married DWELLY FULLER HASKINS, brother of CHARLES. DWELLY was born 5 MAY 1828, and died after 1880. Cynthia died before 1870, and Dwelly married Elmira P. They had one son, Fuller; it is not known what became of him, but he appears to have died young. After Elmira's death, Dwelly married Ann Taylor, and had several children with Ann.
10. NETTIE MILLARD (EMELINE FAY, CHARLES) She married JOHN MITCHELL. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland.|
Children of NETTIE MILLARD and JOHN MITCHELL are:
i. CHARLES MITCHELL.
ii. CLAUDE MITCHELL.
iii. ELMO MITCHELL.
iv. CLARENCE MITCHELL.
11. CASSIUS MILLARD (EMELINE FAY, CHARLES). He married LILLIE MARVIN, daughter of ASAHEL MARVIN and OLIVE ALEXANDER. She was born in Clinton County, MIchigan. Cassius served in the Civil War, and was a drugist.|
Children of CASSIUS MILLARD and LILLIE MARVIN are:
i. NELLIE MILLARD, d. 1883, Star Prairie during a diptheria epidemic.
ii. HEBERT MILLARD, d. 1883, Star Prairie during a diptheria epidemic.
iii. CLYDE MILLARD.
12. CHARLES MILLARD (EMELINE FAY, CHARLES) He married ELVA MARVIN, daughter of ASAHEL MARVIN and OLIVE ALEXANDER. She was born in Clinton County, MIchigan.|
Children of CHARLES MILLARD and ELVA MARVIN are:
i. JAY MILLARD.
ii. RUSS MILLARD.
iii. CLAY MILLARD, drowned in Lake Superior.
13. ROWENA FAY (RUEL KEITH, CHARLES) married JAMES BARNHART. She died in Florida.|
Children of ROWENA FAY and JAMES BARNHART are:
i. GORDON BARNHART, d. July 11, 1881.
ii. MINNIE BARNHART (#25).
iii. GEORGE BARNHART.
14. TRYPHOSA FAY (RUEL KEITH, CHARLES) was born July 1854 in Friendship, Adams County, WI. She married (1) GEORGE H. WHITE, son of Mary White, who was born in Maine. She married (2)
CHARLES O. JEWELL. Charles was born April 1851 in MA.|
Children of TRYPHOSA FAY and GEORGE H. WHITE are:
i. LOLA JEWELL (#T21).
Children of TRYPHOSA FAY and CHARLES O. JEWELL are:
i. KEITH JEWELL, born about 1879, died in April 1883 from diptheria.
ii. OTIS JEWELL, born about 1886.
15. ELLA FAY (RUEL KEITH, CHARLES) was born June 14, 1860, and died April 08, 1918. She married EMMETT MARVIN, son of ASAHEL MARVIN and OLIVE ALEXANDER. He was born October 01, 1848, and died September 01, 1907.|
Children of ELLA FAY and EMMETT MARVIN are:
i. EDNA MARVIN (#26), b. April 17, 1876; d. January 08, 1917.
ii. SIDNEY MARVIN, b. November 11, 1874; d. September 09, 1885.
16. WILBUR E. FAY (RUEL KEITH, CHARLES) died May 20, 1904 in Chicago, Illinois. He married BELLE ASP 1887.|
From the book "Oxcart Days"
Wib as he was better known was the most colorful person in his
family. He owned and ran the livery barn in Star Prairie, Wisconsin. The
horses were kept perfectly groomed even down to a bath on Sunday evening in
the Apple River much to the delight of the boys who used the river for a
Wib took over the job of driving the stage coach between Star Prairie
and New Richmond, also carrying the mail back and forth. Wib who was
slow and easy going would every once in awhile arrive back home in
Star Prairie and reach for the mail sacks only to find that he forgot them
and left them on the depot platform back in New Richmond. Wib would
get sleepy driving the stage coach and often he would be asleep as the
horses sauntered along with the reins resting on the dashboard. One
day some jokers caught the horses and tied them to a tree while Wib
slept. Needless to say the mail was late that day.
Children of WILBUR FAY and BELLE ASP are:|
i. LOIS FAY, b. February 14, 1889.
ii. RUEL KEITH FAY.
iii. DORIS FAY.
17. THEODORE D. FAY (RUEL KEITH, CHARLES) was born January 29, 1868 in Star Prairie, and died May 16, 1898 in Woodruff, WI. He married ESTHER.|
Child of THEODORE FAY and ESTHER is:
i. SIDNEY FAY.
18. JOHN F. FAY (RUEL KEITH, CHARLES).|
Children of JOHN F. FAY are:
i. RUEL FAY.
ii. GENEVA FAY.
19. JEAN JAY FAY (WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born May 24, 1856 in Princeton, Green Lake Co., WI. He married FLORA AUGUSTA KENT November 30, 1881 in Osceola, WI.|
Children of JEAN FAY and FLORA KENT are:
i. LEAH FAY (#27), d. July 06, 1950, Amery, WI.
ii. SUSAN FAY (#28), d. August 08, 1916, Amery, WI.
iii. JEAN FAY.
20. JOHN RUEL FAY (WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born October 27, 1859 in Burnett, Dodge Co., WI. He married ALMEDA (MINNIE) SHEASBY October
15, 1890 in Baldwin, WI.|
(this section changed 2009; see Floyd's page)
Children of JOHN FAY and ALMEDA SHEASBY are:
i. ISABELLE FAY (#29).
ii. FLOYD R. FAY (#30), b. 1900; d. 1978.
21. MINA MINERVA FAY (WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born June 07, 1867 in Star Prairie, and died April 28, 1939 in Siren. She married (1) FREDRICK ADELBERT ROOT August 24, 1884 in Star Prairie, son of MERRITT ROOT and MATILDA KELLY. He was born September 15, 1860 in Prairie du Chien, WI, and died October 15, 1897 in Star Prairie. She married (2) JAMES PETER GAINEY June 05, 1894 in Minneapolis, MN. He was born September 17, 1866, and died June 02, 1933.|
Mina owned and operated Gainey's Resort with her husband James Peter Gainey at Bear Lake, Haugen, Wisconsin.
Children of MINA FAY and FREDRICK ROOT are:
i. WILLIAM MERRITT ROOT, b. August 04, 1885; d. 1889, In
4 years old of diptheria..
ii. MAY FAY ROOT (#31), b. July 19, 1887, Star Prairie; d. May 06, 1974, Chetek, Wisconisn (Barron County).
22. EMMETT M. FAY (WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born October 03, 1868 in Star Prairie, and died July 17, 1949 in Amery, WI.
He married LUCY ROBBINS October 26, 1898 in Amery, WI. She was born August
21, 1873, and died November 13, 1950 in Amery, Wisconsin.
Emmett died from drinking anti-freeze by mistake, thinking it was whiskey.
Child of EMMETT FAY and LUCY ROBBINS is:
i. ORPHA FAY, b. July 28, 1899.
23. GEORGE NEWTON FAY II (WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born July 09, 1871 in Star Prairie, and died 1928 in Star Prairie. He married DAISY MAE GIBSON January 04, 1899 in New Richmond, WI.|
Children of GEORGE FAY and DAISY GIBSON are:
i. WILLIAM FAY, b. May 03, 1900; m. BESSIE.
ii. ERLE FAY, b. March 16, 1907.
iii. MONA FAY, b. November 23, 1908; m. (1)
WILFRED MIDDLESDORF; m. (2) WALTER WINKLER.
iv. EDITH FAY (#32), b. July 03, 1911.
24. MAUDE MARKSTEAD FAY (WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born December 28, 1875 in Star Prairie, and died May 21, 1920. She married JOHN N.
FREDENDALL January 27, 1897 in Star Prairie. He was born May 13, 1868, and died June 24, 1928. She was a teacher.|
Children of MAUDE FAY and JOHN FREDENDALL are:
i. JOHN (A. J.) FAY FREDENDALL (#33), b. August 24, 1898.
ii. THOMAS DANIEL FREDENDALL, b. July 19, 1902; d. 1971; m.
MARTHA EGERER. Lived in Michigan
iii. WILLIAM SLUYTER FREDENDALL, d. Died in infancy.
iv. MARY ELIZABETH FREDENDALL (#34), b. June 07, 1904.
v. CHARLES LITTLEFIELD (FIELD) FREDENDALL (#35), b. January 14, 1907.
i. GEORGE EMMETT FREDENDALL (#36), b. 1910; d. 1999.
T21. LOLA JANE WHITE (TRYPHOSA, RUEL KEITH, CHARLES) was born on June 25, 1873, in Star Prairie. She died on January 18, 1945, in Great Falls, Cascade, MT, and was buried on January 20, 1945, in Great Falls, Highland Cemetery, Cascade, MT. She married FRANK SCOTTEN, son of Francis Scotten and Eleanor (Helen), on September 23, 1891, in Great Falls. He was born July 25, 1866, in London, England, and died on September 13, 1933 in Great Falls. He was buried in Highland Cemetery.|
Children of LOLA JANE WHITE and FRANK SCOTTEN are:
i. ELEANOR FAY SCOTTEN (#T30), b. September 28, 1894, and died February 21, 1979.
ii. GERALD (JED) SCOTTEN.
iii. GEORGE FRANK SCOTTEN was born on December 14, 1900 in Great Falls.
25. MINNIE BARNHART (ROWENA FAY, RUEL KEITH,
CHARLES) married (1) J. E. BLAKEMORE, (2) ? ANDERSEN.|
Child of MINNIE BARNHART and ? ANDERSEN is:
i. VIOLET ANDERSEN.
26. EDNA MARVIN (ELLA, RUEL KEITH, CHARLES)
was born April 17, 1876, and died January 08, 1917. She married (1) CHARLES MOSHER, and (2) CHARLES COOK.|
Children of EDNA MARVIN and CHARLES MOSHER are:
i. ESTHER MOSHER, b. March 10, 1903; d. February 1986,
Barron, WI; m. HERMAN RABE, b. February 22, 1897; d. November 1983, Barron, WI.
ii. EARL (MOSHER) MARVIN (#37).
Children of EDNA MARVIN and CHARLES COOK are:
iii. NELLIE COOK (#38), b. August 21, 1910.
iv. EVERYL COOK, b. January 18, 1914, Hillsdale, WI; m. HELEN DERINGER, September 04, 1941; b. Black River Falls, WI.
27. LEAH FAY (JEAN, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) died July 06, 1950 in Amery, WI. She married DUGAL DUNCAN KENNEDY.|
Children of LEAH FAY and DUGAL KENNEDY are:
i. FAY KENNEDY (#39).
ii. RUTH KENNEDY (#40).
28. SUSAN FAY (JEAN, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) died August 08, 1916 in Amery, WI. She married PETER PETERSON.|
Children of SUSAN FAY and PETER PETERSON are:
i. ROBERT KENT PETERSON (#41).
ii. EDGAR PETERSON.
iii. CLAIRE GERALDINE PETERSON (#42). b. February 24, 1919, MN; d. 5/1/1989 In Clayton, WI.
iv. LEAH PETERSON.
v. FLORA PETERSON.
29. ISABELLE FAY (JOHN RUEL, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) married WILLIAM ROHN.|
(this section changed 2009; see Floyd's page)
Child of ISABELLE FAY and WILLIAM ROHN is:
i. WILLIAM ROHN.
30. FLOYD R. FAY (JOHN RUEL, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born 1900, and died 1978. He married JULIA G. She was born 1894,
(this section had major changes in 2009; see Floyd's page)
Child of FLOYD FAY and JULIA G. is:
i. JOHN ELDEN FAY, b. January 07, 1920.
31. MAY FAY ROOT (MINA MINERVA FAY, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born July 19, 1887 in Star Prairie, and died May 06, 1974 in Chetek, WI. She was buried May 10, 1974, Forest Hill Cemetery, Eau Claire, WI.|
At the age of 3, May was deserted by her mother, Mina Minerva Fay.
May stayed with her grandparents, William Sluyter and Elizabeth Newton
Fay in Star Prairie, Wisconsin until September, 1899. She then moved to
Kaukana, Wisconsin and lived with her Aunt Maude Fay Fredendall and
Uncle John N. Fredendall until June, 1907. May was in 6th grade when
she moved to Kaukana. She graduated 8th grade in June, 1902, and high school in June, 1906.|
In May, 1907 May Fay Root was engaged to Frederick Herschel Smalley, and
they married December 17, 1907 at 2:30 pm at Rice Lake, Wisconsin.
He was the son of HERSCHEL SMALLEY and AGNES LANGWORTHY. He was born May 24, 1877
in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, and died April 29, 1948 in Brainard, Minnesota. He was a railroad engineer and farmer. He is buried in Manitowac, Wisconsin Evergreen Cemetery Lot 2, Block 9,
Section A. Frederic and Mina were divorced in 1931.
Fred and May moved to Green Bay, Wisconsin in January of 1908 and lived there
until May 15, 1913. They moved from Green Bay to Neilsville,
Wisconsin and lived there until November 25, 1918. They traveled to Minnepolis,
Minnesota on Friday November 29, 1918 where they left for Virginia
and arrived on December 1, 1918. They returned from Virginia on December
9, 1918, and then moved to a farm at Hillsdale, Wisconsin on January 9
or 10, 1919. In the fall of 1923 they left the farm and moved to
Loretta, Wisconsin in October, 1923. They stayed here less than a year when
they came back to Rice Lake, Wisconsin on Decoration Day, 1924. Five
months later Fred and May moved to L'anse, Michigan in October, 1924. On
March 29, 1929 Frederick H. Smalley left L'anse. May and family moved from
L'anse on April 6, 1929 to an unknown destination. In September,
1930 May and family moved to Chetek, Wisconsin. They moved from Chetek
February 10, 1931 and arrived in Chicago, February 11, 1931. May was divorced in 1931.
She married (2) FREDRICK JOHN SCHWASS June 23, 1932 in Chicago,
Illinois. He was born October 31, 1877 in Mecklenberg, Schwerin,
Germany, and died August 15, 1954 in West Chicago, Illinois.
He was buried August 18, 1954, Glen Oak Cemetery, West Chicago, Illinois.
He came to the U.S. from Germany at the age of 6 bet. 1893 - 1894. He was Superintendent of the Insurance Exchange Building in Chicago, Illinois.
May and Frederick lived in Chicago until May 25, 1948 when
they moved to Zion, Illinois. On October 16, 1951, they
moved to West Chicago. On August 15, 1954 Fredrick Schwass died. May left
West Chicago on September 25, 1954. She bought a home in Canoga
Park, California on February 12, 1956.
On April 19, 1957 May sold her home and left San Diego and arrived
in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Later she went to West Chicago and
bought a trailer in Aurora on August 17, 1957. On March 17, 1958 May
moved the trailer from Aurora to Mikos Trailer Court in West Chicago; on July 17, 1958,
to Battle Ground, Indiana; on February 25, 1961, to Knights Trailer Court in Lafayette, Indiana; on September 20, 1961, to Cor-dale Trailer Court in Lafayette, Indiana; on March 3, 1962, back again to Mikos Trailer Court.
Children of MAY ROOT and FREDERICK SMALLEY are:|
i. DANIEL ADELBERT SMALLEY, born and died August 31, 1908. He was buried in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
ii. FREDERICK HERSCHEL SMALLEY JR. (#43), b. December 01, 1909, Green Bay, WI; d. January 31, 1991, Deming, New Mexico.
iii. KEITH NEWTON SMALLEY (#44), b. July 09, 1911, Green Bay, WI; d. October 25, 1994, Los Angeles, California.
iv. MIRIAM RUTH SMALLEY (#45), b. May 31, 1915, Neillsville, WI.
v. WILLIAM MERRITT SMALLEY (#46), b. April 24, 1919, Hillsdale, WI.
vi. RACHEL ELIZABETH SMALLEY (#47), b. February 02, 1922, Hillsdale, WI.
vii. ESTHER ELAINE SMALLEY (#48),, b. June 24, 1924, Rice Lake, WI.
32. EDITH FAY (GEORGE NEWTON II, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born July 03, 1911. She married CLIFFORD
Child of EDITH FAY and CLIFFORD OLSON is:
i. JOHN CLIFFORD OLSON, b. June 15, 1945.
33. JOHN (A. J.) FAY FREDENDALL (MAUDE, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born August 24, 1898.|
After A. J. Fredendall died, when Doris Anne was 12,
the family came through Chicago on their way to L'anse and stayed with
May and Fred Schwass. The children (Doris, William and Richard) lived
with and were raised by their Aunt Martha and Uncle Daniel Fredendall.
Doris Anne had a club foot that Daniel and Martha paid to fix. These
children were a blessing to Daniel and Martha since they were childless.
Children of A. J. FAY FREDENDALL are:
i. DORIS ANNE FREDENDALL.
ii. WILLIAM FREDENDALL.
iii. RICHARD FREDENDALL.
34. MARY ELIZABETH FREDENDALL (MAUDE, WILLIAM
SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born June 07, 1904. She married PHILLIP FARWELL May 18, 1926.
Child of ELIZABETH FREDENDALL and PHILLIP FARWELL is:
i. PHYLIIS FARWELL.
35. CHARLES LITTLEFIELD (FIELD) FREDENDALL (MAUDE, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born January 14, 1907. He married BERTHA.|
Children of FIELD FREDENDALL and BERTHA are:
i. MARLEE FREDENDALL, b. January 01, 1934.
ii. MARY ELIZABETH FREDENDALL, b. February 15, 1941.
36. GEORGE EMMETT FREDENDALL (MAUDE, WILLIAM
SLUYTER, CHARLES) married VIOLET.|
Child of EMMETT FREDENDALL and VIOLET is:
i. WILLIAM JOHN FREDENDALL.
T30. ELEANOR FAY SCOTTEN (LOLA JANE WHITE, TRYPHOSA, RUEL KEITH) was born on 28 September 1894 in Great Falls, Cascade, MT. She died on 21 February 1979 in Great Falls, Cascade, MT and was buried on 24 Feb 1979 in Great Falls, Mount Olivet, Cascade, MT.|
ELEANOR married ROBERT PATRICK O'CONNELL, son of THOMAS O'CONNELL and MARY SULLIVAN, on 23 October 1923 in Great Falls, Cascade, MT. ROBERT was born on 21 June 1893 in Marysville, Lewis and Clark, MT. He died on 24 January 1963 in Great Falls, Cascade, MT and was buried in Great Falls, Mount Olivet, Cascade, MT.
Child of ELEANOR FAY SCOTTEN and ROBERT PATRICK O'CONNELL is:
i. FRANK SCOTTEN O'CONNELL (#T37), was born June 10, 1924, and died on October 17, 1994.
37. EARL (MOSHER) MARVIN (EDNA, ELLA, RUEL
KEITH, CHARLES) married DOROTHY September 01, 1928.|
Children of EARL MARVIN and DOROTHY are:
i. LAVONNE MARVIN (#49), b. May 1930.
ii. JUDY LYNN MARVIN (#50), b. October 17, 1941.
iii. BRADLEY MARVIN (#51), d. Abt. 1995, when a tractor rolled over on him.
38. NELLIE COOK (EDNA MARVIN, ELLA, RUEL
KEITH, CHARLES) was born August 21, 1910. She married NORMAN OLSON September 05, 1928.|
Children of NELLIE COOK and NORMAN OLSON are:
i. DONNA MAE OLSON, m. CON TOOMEY.
ii. ROBERT OLSON (#52).
iii. NANCY OLSON (#53).
iv. SUSAN OLSON (#54).
v. ANITA OLSON.
39. FAY KENNEDY (LEAH, JEAN, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) married KATHLEEN VASSAU.|
Child of FAY KENNEDY and KATHLEEN VASSAU is:
i. JAMES KENNEDY.
40. RUTH KENNEDY (LEAH, JEAN, WILLIAM
SLUYTER, CHARLES) married EINAR BERGLAND. He was born October 16, 1919.|
Children of RUTH KENNEDY and EINAR BERGLAND are:
i. ANN ELAINE BERGLAND.
ii. CAROL LYNN BERGLAND.
41. ROBERT KENT PETERSON (SUSAN, JEAN,
WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) married HELEN EVANS.|
Children of ROBERT PETERSON and HELEN EVANS are:
i. JEAN JAY PETERSON.
ii. JOYCE PETERSON.
42. CLAIRE GERALDINE PETERSON (SUSAN, JEAN, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) married AL MUNSON. He died November 11, 1999.|
Children of CLAIRE PETERSON and AL MUNSON are:
i. BARBARA JANE MUNSON (#55).
ii. DUANE ALFRED MUNSON (#56), b. July 22, 1938.
iii. DIANE CLAIR MUNSON (#57), b. June 14, 1944.
iv. VALERIE ROWE MUNSON, b. January 31, 1949; m. JIM ROWE, 1971 (later divorced); b. August 17, 1947; d. November 21, 1991.
v. PAULA FAY MUNSON (#58), b. August 22, 1955.
43. FREDERICK HERSCHEL SMALLEY JR. (MAY FAY ROOT, MINA MINERVA FAY, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born December 01, 1909 in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and died January 31, 1991 in Deming, New Mexico. He married REGINA URBAN September 16, 1933 in Des Moines, Iowa, daughter of FRANCISCO URBAN and ROSA ROMANO. She was born August 01, 1909 in Des Moines, Iowa, and died January 27, 2001 in Tampa, Florida.|
While living in L'Anse, Michigan, Herschel joined the Army before finishing high school. His mother had to sign for him to get in. While stationed in Des Moines, Iowa, he met Regina. After marrying Regina in Des Moines, he left the army for a brief time and worked for his father-in-law (Francisco Urban) at the combination gas station and grocery store he owned.
After this Herschel and Regina moved to Chicago where his step father Fred Schwass arranged a job for him as an elevator operator at the Insurance Exchange Building where Fred was the building superintendent. After a year or two in Chicago, Herschel rejoined the army. When World War II started Herschel finished his high school education and got the required college education in order to become a pilot. He flew piper cub planes as a spotter for the field artillery. His duty was to fly low in front of the anti aircraft and tell them the location where he spotted shooting coming from, such as haystacks, etc. Then the artillery would shoot over his plane at the locations he reported, wiping out the enemy defenses so that the Infantry could come in and take over the area. One day he did get shot down. When he got out of the plane he couldn't keep his balance and kept falling down. His equilibrium had been damaged, and also his hearing. The Air Force tried to force him to take a pension of $13 per month for his 13 years of military service. Herschel fought it and ended up having to spend 2 out of every 3 years overseas. Part of his duty stations included Japan and Korea.|
After retiring from active service in the military as a Major, Herschel and Regina resided in San Diego, California where he worked in the Shore Patrol. For awhile Herschel and Regina tried renting apartments. Herschel and Regina later bought a trailer and hitched it to a pick-up truck and they traveled across the USA. That was their home on wheels for several years. Herschel had the back of that pick-up packed with all the essentials. It was a veritable workshop on wheels, and well organized. They had many an adventure during this period of their life.
One such adventure that Uncle Herschel spoke of when they visited the Floyd's while vacationing in Bena, Minnesota at Six Mile Lake was the time that he and Regina thought they were going to get robbed at a rest area that they had pulled into for a brief rest. Herschel said he noticed a couple men acting suspicious and eying their home on wheels. I recall Herschel telling how he strapped on his revolver and gave Regina the rifle and he exited the trailer and walked around for the two men to see that he wasn't one that they would want to mess with. He laughed as he recalled the men hurriedly getting into their car and leaving.
For a brief time they settled in the Barron, Wisconsin area where they purchased a farm. There son Fred and family moved to Barron for a short time to work as partners on the farm. They later sold the farm and moved to New Mexico.
Children of FREDERICK JR. and REGINA URBAN are:|
i. FREDERICK HERSCHEL SMALLEY III (#59), b. May 23, 1935, Des Moines, Iowa.
ii. JOAN SMALLEY (#60), b. January 27, 1944.
44. KEITH NEWTON SMALLEY (MAY FAY ROOT, MINA MINERVA FAY, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born July 09, 1911 in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and died October 25, 1994 in Los Angeles, California. He married (1) FRANCES METSO September 23, 1939. She was born January 16, 1920, and died Bet. 1996 - 1997. He married (2) FRANCES COOK September 09, 1946 in Portland, Oregon. She was born January 16, 1920.|
Child of KEITH SMALLEY and FRANCES METSO is:
i. RUEL KEITH SMALLEY (#61), b. December 04, 1940.
Child of KEITH SMALLEY and FRANCES COOK is:
ii. SUSAN COOK, b. August 06, 1940; Stepchild; m. (1) TENNY STOREY; m. (2) GEORGE TAYLOR.
45. MIRIAM RUTH SMALLEY (MAY FAY ROOT, MINA MINERVA FAY, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born May 31, 1915 in Neillsville, Wisconsin. She married (1) VEY WEST. She married (2) LEIGH ORVILLE PETERSON May 10, 1939 in Chicago, Illinois, son of LOUIS PETERSON and CLAIRE JERDEE. He was born December 19, 1911 in Star Prairie, Wisconsin (St. Croix County), and died December 30, 1993 in Eau Claire, Wisconsin (Eau Claire County). He was the manager of Social Security Office in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.|
Children of MIRIAM SMALLEY and LEIGH PETERSON are:
i. LONNIE LEE PETERSON (#62), b. May 03, 1941, Richmond, Indiana.
ii. STANLEY WAYNE PETERSON (#63), b. May 12, 1943, LaCrosse, Wisconsin.
iii. MARGARET HELEN PETERSON (#64), b. August 24, 1944, Eau Claire, Wisconsin (Eau Claire County).
iv. PATRICIA SUSAN PETERSON (#65), b. August 15, 1946, Eau Claire, Wisconsin (Eau Claire County).
v. ANNETTE KATHLEEN PETERSON (#66), b. October 14, 1948, Eau Claire, Wisconsin (Eau Claire County).
46. WILLIAM MERRITT SMALLEY (MAY FAY ROOT, MINA MINERVA FAY, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born April 24, 1919 in Hillsdale, Wisconsin. He married ISABELLE ANTONIA BUCKUN November 01, 1945 in Chicago, Illinois, daughter of ANTHONY BUCKUN and STELLA WILANOWICZ. She was born July 14, 1923 in Chicago, Illinois.|
Bill's line of work, being a Homeopathic Manufacturing Pharmacist, is very unique. He worked for one of the six existing pharmacies of its kind in the U.S. The time period was post WWII to the late 70's, early 80's when natural botanic/organic medications were experiencing a resurgence during the New Age era. |
He worked with the crude drug, usually a dried or preserved version and formulated a measured medication in either a pill or liquid form that was distributed throughout the world. He was highlighted in numerous newspaper and magazine periodical articles outlining the pharmacy and type of medications. He was also featured in various articles and photos through the Associated Press. He retired on October 1, 1985, from Ehrhart and Karl Drug Co.
(The above information was supplied by his daughter Elizabeth M. Smalley.)
Bill was in the U. S. Army (WWII) between October 3, 1941 and October 2, 1945. Isabelle was a Grocer/ Market Analyst for Sears Roebuck/ Artist
Children of WILLIAM SMALLEY and ISABELLE BUCKUN are:|
i. ELIZABETH MARY11 SMALLEY (#67), b. October 08, 1948, Chicago, Illinois.
ii. BARBARA ANN SMALLEY (#68), b. May 17, 1955.
iii. WILLIAM KEITH SMALLEY, b. 1964; d. 1964, Miscarriage, no birth or death certificates issued.
47. RACHEL ELIZABETH SMALLEY (MAY FAY ROOT, MINA MINERVA FAY, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born February 02, 1922 in Hillsdale, Wisconsin. She married CHRISTIAN RALLY KLEIN March 27, 1945 in Chicago, Illinois. He was born December 25, 1916, and died August 1997 in Ocala, Florida.|
Children of RACHEL SMALLEY and CHRISTIAN KLEIN are:
i. KATHERINE ELAINE KLEIN (#69), b. April 01, 1946.
ii. CHRISTIAN RANDOLPH KLEIN (#70), b. October 07, 1948.
iii. JEFFERY ALLEN KLEIN (#71), b. February 13, 1951.
iv. ELLEN RUTH KLEIN, b. February 02, 1952; d. September 09, 1954, West Chicago, IL of cancer at age 2. She was buried in Glen Oak Cemetery, West Chicago, Illinois next to her Grandpa (Fredrick J. Schwass).
v. PHILIP ROLAND KLEIN (#72), b. November 05, 1955.
48. ESTHER ELAINE SMALLEY (MAY FAY ROOT, MINA MINERVA FAY, WILLIAM SLUYTER, CHARLES) was born June 24, 1924 in Rice Lake, Wisconsin (Barron County). She married CHARLES EDWARD FLOYD April 05, 1947 in Chicago, Illinois, son of EARL FLOYD and FRANCES CONGER. He was born June 25, 1924 in Muncie, Indiana (Delaware County). He served in the Navy as an Electrician's Mate during WW2 on an oil tanker, the USS Sapelo, between January 1943 and March 1946. He was an Electrical Engineer/Marketing for Duncan Electric in Lafayette, IN.|
Children of ESTHER SMALLEY and CHARLES FLOYD are:
i. CHARLES EDWARD FLOYD, b. December 14, 1949, Lafayette, Indiana (Tippecanoe County); m. SUZANNE MARIE HUNTER, June 17, 1970, Lafayette, Indiana; b. November 08, 1950, Ft. Belvoir, Virginia (Fairfax County).
CHARLES was in the U.S. Army Reserves. He was
Vice President/Education for Payments Resource One of Phoenix, Arizona;
Principal/Teacher for Lipscomb Elementary School, Nashville, TN; and
Supervisor for Federal Reserve in Nashville and Memphis, TN.
SUZANNE was Auditor/Supervisor/Programmer for People Soft in Phoenix, Arizona; and
Teacher for Lipscomb Elementary School in Nashville, TN
ii. LELAND ERIC FLOYD (#73), b. November 20, 1951, Lafayette, Indiana (Tippecanoe County).
iii. DENNIS CRAIG FLOYD (#74), b. December 04, 1953, Lafayette, Indiana (Tippecanoe County).
iv. DIANE ELAINE FLOYD (#75), b. May 27, 1967, Lafayette, Indiana (Tippecanoe County); Adopted child.