This certifies that the Rite of HOLY MATRIMONY was celebrated between
Mr. Horace A. Fay of Clinton Co. Iowa and Miss Calista J. Darrah of
Bedford, N.H. on 15th of Sept. 1857 at Manchester, N.H. by Geo. Peirce [sic],
Pastor, First Baptist Church.
Copy of pencil notation in a book compiled by Holmes Amsden Fay in the 1950's; copied by Mildred Foster Fay, May 1971.
"Horace Amsden Fay, of DeWitt was born in Lebanon, Granton County,
N.H. Dec. 7, 1827.|
? (talks about his parents etc.) ?
Spring of 1857 Mr. Fay sold out his stock of goods (dishes and chinaware) and on election
day, having first deposited his vote for the Democratic candidates, left
for the West. At Chicago he met with his former townsman, Gov. Baker, and
with him came to Clinton, crossing the Mississippi from Fulton to Lyons in a
skiff and amid floating ice. A few weeks later in company with Hon. C.H.
Toll, he purchased a raft of lumber and afterwards shipped it to DeWitt, as
Clinton was not then a good market to sell lumber in. In latter part
of July, Mr. Fay bought two lots opposite the Depot at DeWitt and
immediately erected a two-story warehouse, one of the first build here. Sept.
15th of that year he was united in marriage with Miss Calista J. Daughter of
Isaac and Rachel (Watts) Darrah, of N.H. and who held the esteem of all who
knew them. The young couple came at once to Iowa, to DeWitt, and
commenced housekeeping over their new warehouse, where they lived a year, when
they moved to their present residence, corner of Jefferson and Third St.
Mr. Fay engaged in business of grain buying and afterwards included live
stock. At that time there was no bank in DeWitt, and nearly all the money
received here passed through his hands. He was the only one to take
out a "Broker's License" and (in DeWitt) as such handled considerable coin,
his entire business amounting some years to $500,000. In 1864 in company
with W.H. Chardavoyne, he purchased a half section of land near DeWitt and
in the following Spring purchased his partner's interests. In Spring of
1877 he entered the office of P.B. Wolfe (now Senator from this dist) and
tacked up a sign as "Real Estate Agent." In a few weeks he was invited by
J.C. Hopkins now County Recorder, then Editor and proprietor of the
Clinton County Advertiser, published at Lyons, to become the DeWitt
correspondent, which he accepted and partly through his influence, the circulation
of the paper was so much increased, that the Board of Supervisors of the
county, in the following Jan. elected the Advertiser as one of the official
papers of the county. In 1883 the DeWitt office of the paper was moved to
the new building erected by Mr. Fay for that purpose.
Mr. Fay was a memberof the School Board of DeWitt for several years, having first been chosen in 1864, and did his full share towards the erection of the present
In politics, Mr. Fay has ever been an unwavering Democrat, whose
patriotism is as broad as our land.
Mr. & Mrs. Fay have two sons--Clarence A., born June 18, 1859 and Louis E., born Sept. 21, 1861. Both are now associated together in business, under the firm of Fay Brothers, publishers of
the Clinton County Advertiser."
From a page sent by Mr. E. Quigley of the Mockridge Agency in DeWitt, Iowa, to Mr. Louis E. Fay, Jr., some time in 1960. The source of his information is unknown to Mildred Foster Fay, who typed it up in November 1970.
|For more information on the Clinton County Advertiser, see Newspapers of the County: Clinton County, Iowa.
History of Concord, NH (PUL 1171.142.253) 1903
v. 1, p. 630 - quotes "a town directory published in the early
fifties" as saying that "among the well-known business places" was "H.A. Fay,
crockery, paper hanging, Merchants' exchange."
History of Clinton County, IA (PUL 1135.206.46), 1879:|
p. 553 - lists "H.A. Fay" as one of two Justices of Peace, DeWitt,
p. 552 - "Among the dealers in grain, etc., who established
warehouses at the depot and dealt largely in stock, grain and lumber, may be
mentioned the following: ? H.A. Fay, grain; ?" (The Depot in question is that
of the Chicago, Iowa & Nebraska Railroad, built in 1857.)
The following obituary of the late H.A. Fay was prepared by the Rev.
J.J. Mitchell, pastor of the Congregational Church. It is copied from an
old clipping with no date or indication of what paper it came from.
However, it is to be assumed that it is from the Clinton, Iowa paper.|
(Mildred Foster Fay, May 1971)
Horace Amsden Fay was born Dec. 7th, 1827, near Lebanon, N.H. and
died at his late residence in DeWitt, Iowa, March 12th, 1905. Mr. Fay's
ancestors were of revolutionary stock and cherished in their families the
memories of revolutionary heroes.|
His childhood and school days were spent near the place of his birth.
When sixteen years of age his school days were brought abruptly to a close
by the removal of his father and family to Concord, N.H. Here he began
mercantile life in a small way and laid the foundations for his
successful career as a business man. He continued in various business ventures
in Concord, making steady progress, till 1857, meanwhile taking a
prominent part in the political movements of his day.
In the spring of 1857 he started for the great west, expecting to
reach St. Anthony's Falls, now Minneapolis; but on the way he was led to change
his plans and he came to Iowa and to the County seat then of Clinton
County, the town of DeWitt, where he immediately embarked in business. In
Sept. 1857, he returned to New Hampshire and at Manchester, N.H. was united
in marriage with Miss Calista J. Darrah, and immediately with his bride
started for their Iowa home.
Arriving at Clinton they tarried two weeks, then came to DeWitt,
where they made their home and have ever since been identified with the
interests of this town and county.
Mr. Fay has engaged in various lines of business, including the
buying of grain, stock and real estate, also in farming and, for a short time,
doing the banking business of the community. His energy was tireless in
whatever he undertook: thrift, economy and patience won for him success in
most of his investments.
In 1877 he gave up practical farming and established an office in
town for the purpose of handling real estate and looking after his own farms.
About this time he was solicited by the editor of the Clinton Advertiser to
become the reporter and representative of that paper in this town.
He accepted and sent his son Louis to learn the business of newspaper
publishing in the Clinton office, while he continued to represent the
paper in this community and made it well nigh indispensable to the people of
While he has managed his large interests successfully, he has held a
strong influence politically in the county, without becoming a professional
politician, or sacrificing the friendship of his neighbors from whom
During all these years he has had a deep interest in the public
schools of this place, has served as a member and as president of the school
board. He encouraged and helped in the building of the present school
building, and in recent years has donated valuable works to the school library.
He also remembered St. Joseph's Academy with valuable volumes. From the
beginning of our town library he has taken more than an ordinary
interest in the success of this venture and for two years was president of the
library board, declining another term. His attendance upon the
meetings of the board were very faithful and always with evident desire to
further the interests of the library with a view to its greater usefulness to the
community. He contributed to its support and donated a number of
books for its use. He had a strong desire to have a library building, suitable
for its use and convenient for the community.
While strictly methodical, accurate and honest in all business
transactions, he was invariably courteous and kindly in manner to all
with whom he had dealings. His works of charity were numerous and usually
private, but often he contributed liberally to public enterprises,
encouraged the churches and pastors in efforts for the good of the
He was a man of refinement and clean habits, and though not a member
of any church, manifested the Christian spirit largely in his relations with
men. With his good wife he has long held the respect and esteem of this
community, and now that his work is done, the sympathy of a very
large portion of our people will go out to his beloved wife and sons, Louis
E. Fay and Clarence A. Fay, of Clinton.
Until Friday last he was engaged as usual at his office and few knew
that he was not well, but Friday night symptoms of pneumonia developed and
rapidly indicated dangerous conditions. His sons and their wives
came immediately and all that love and medical skill could do was done,
but just before the midnight hour of Sunday the spirit of Horace A. Fay was
released from its earthly temple and returned to God, who gave it. His life
work is done and much of it remains as a monument of his industry, patience
and thrift, but a larger legacy remains in the memory of his family, his
friends and neighbors, who cherish the kind words and deeds of a good
Biographical note for Calista|
History of Concord, NH (PUL 1171.142.253) v2 p1260 - from a list of public school teachers 1856-57 -
"Union district Nos. 9-11,...south section,... Calista J. Darrah".
FAY - THOMAS
Mr. Louis E. Fay and Miss Amelia G. Thomas were united in marriage at the home of the bride's parents two miles southwest of Lyons, at one o'clock P.M. yesterday. Rev. Oadams of the Congregational church officiating. The wedding ceremony was attended by only the near relatives of the contracting parties but a multitude of friends and well wishers of the bride and groom will extend hearty congratulations to the happy couple. The bride and groom were the recipients of elegant and useful presents from those in attendance. Refreshments were served by the host and hostess, and the two hearts that now beat as one are at the home, splendidly furnished and prepared for them, on Seventh street in this city. The good wishes of people from all parts of Clinton county will go out to Mr. and Mrs. Fay in their new relations."|
This is from an old clipping with no date on it and no indication of the paper. However, it is to be assumed that is came from the Clinton, Iowa paper.
"This is to certify that Louis Elwyn Fay and Amelia Gottlob Thomas were united in Marriage by me, according to the Ordinance of God and the laws of the State of Iowa, on the 1st day of February, 1888.
(signed) Theo. S. Oadams |
Witnesses: Clarence A. Fay
W. T. Gottlob"
This is from a pencil copy of the original in the book compiled by Holmes A. Fay in the 1950's.|
Note: Amelia's mother remarried, and Amelia, who was 8 at the time, took her stepfather's last name of Thomas.