Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Hickory Creek Union Church & Cemetery

Location:  North of Jameson, from the junction of Highway 13 and Route C, go .7 mile south on Highway 13 to Forest Road.  Turn east and go .6 mile.  Turn north and go .3 mile to cemetery.

 Many early pioneers are buried here.  The oldest

marked grave dates to 1845, however there are

undoubtedly older unmarked graves.  White wooden

crosses were placed at the unmarked graves in 1995           

to remember those buried without headstones.  Hickory

Creek Church Association was formed in 1869 by a stock

company of those interested in having a church in the 

community.  A board of trustees was elected, and the

church building erected at a cost of $1700.  Two

congregations, the Hickory Creek Baptists and the

Grand River Congregation of Cumberland Presbyterians,

met once a month on different Sundays.  Later, two other

congregation also alternated Sundays, they were the

Methodists and an unknown congregation.  The last service were held here in 1940

by the Hickory Creek Baptist congregation.  In 1970 the building was torn down

and the walnut lumber sold.

 

 

 

Back to Daviess County Page    Back to Main Page