Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
WOLVES NEWTON

WOLVES NEWTON is a parish on the old Chepstow .road, 5 miles east-by-south from Usk station, on the Monmouth and Newport section of the Great Western railway, and 7 north-west from Chepstow, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Raglan, petty sessional division of Trellech, union of Chepstow, county court district of Usk, Raglan and Trellech highway district, rural deanery of Chepstow, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Thomas-a-Becket is an ancient structure of stone, partly in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a saddleback western tower, containing 3 bells: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from 1680, but is much mutilated.

The living is a rectory, with Kilgwrrwg annexed in 1884, joint net yearly value 241, with residence and 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Archdeacon of Llandaff, alternately, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Charles Carne Williams M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford. There is a Congregational chapel at New Inn Hill.

It is said that there formerly were five court or manor houses here. The farm-house known as Court-y-Gaer occupies the site of an ancient camp or stronghold; a large portion of the moat is still remaining. The Duke of Beaufort, who is lord of the manor, Lieut.-Col, Edward Waugh Rumsey, of Goodrich, Herefordshire, and George SmedIey esq. are the principal landowners.

The soil is a clayey loam; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat and oats. The area is 2,656 acres, rateable value 1,218 and the population in 1891 was 158.

The Letter Box at Cobbler's Plain, cleared at 6 p.m. Letters arrive from Chepstow at 9 a.m.
The nearest money order office is at Llanishen, & telegraph office at Trelleck, about 4 miles distant.

This parish is included in the United School Board district of East & West Newchurch, formed 11 Dec. 1874. The children of this parish attend the school at Devauden.

PRIVATE
Williams Rev. Charles Carne M.A., Rectory

COMMERCIAL
Bevan Edwin, farmer, Tydeon
Davies William, Plough inn P.H
Evans Benjamin & William, farmers, Great House farm
Evans David, farmer, Cwm Vagor
Evans Thos., farmer. Court Valkins farm
Frost William, farmer, Court-y-gaer
Jones Thomas, shopkeeper
Lewis Amos, carpenter
Lewis Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Morgan Rachel (Mrs.), farmer & overseer, Clydach
Park John Turner, farmer, Mynydd-bach
Powell James, farm bailiff to R. Stratton esq., The Hill farm
Price Thomas, farmer, Nanty gelly
Preece John, farmer, Lower Tydeon
Stephens Chas., farmer, Box cottage
Waters William, farmer, Porthvainor
Williams James, farmer & overseer, Cefn Gollow


dex