The church (name unknown) is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and a small western turret containing one bell: it was almost entirely rebuilt in 1860, and has 50 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1786; marriages, 1755; burials, 1781. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Llanmartin, net yearly value £l55, with 30 acres of glebe and farms of 69 acres, in the gift of Mrs. Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor Park, Leicestershire, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Richard Valpy French, LL.D., of Trinity College, Dublin, F.S.A., F.R.S.L. who resides at Llanmartin. Mrs. Perry-Herrick is lady of the manor and principal landowner.
The soil is partly clay and partly sand; subsoil, sandstone and limestone. The chief crops are grass, grain and turnips. The area is 437 acres, rateable value, £1,087, and the population in 1891 was 24.
Parish Clerk: John Jones.
Letters through Newport, via Magor, arrive at 9 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Magor, 1¼ miles distant. Caldicot is the nearest telegraph office. Nearest post office, Magor or Llanmartin
The children of this parish attend the Magor school.
Baker John, farmer, New House Farm
Morgan Elizabeth Overseer
Pritchard Charles, farmer, Church Farm
Roberts William, farmer
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids