Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
WHITSON

WHITSON is a parish, on the shore of the Bristol Channel, 2 miles south from Llanwern station, on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, and 7 south-east-by-east from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, lower division of Caldicot hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Caerleon, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff: a sea-wall has been erected on the coast.

The church (name unknown) is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 2 bells: the nave has been restored and the chancel substantially rebuilt: there is a handsome Norman font: a stained glass memorial east window was erected in 1884 by the family of the late vicar, the Rev. John Beynon: there are 100 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1744; marriages, 1729 ; burials, 1728. The living is a vicarage, net income 196, including 49 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Eton College and the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff alternately, and held since 1900 bv the Rev. John Price, of St. Bees, who is also vicar of Goldcliff.

A great quantity of land formerly waste, which extends through the parish, on both sides of the roads has been inclosed at the cost of the landowners. On the west, the parish is bounded by Monkditch pill (Welsh "pwll", a pool or inlet), formerly made by the monks of Goldcliff Priory, the bed of which is above the surface of the level: through this pill the water that comes down from the hills above is conveyed to the sea to prevent its overflowing the level.

The principal landowners are the Provost and Fellows of Eton College, who are lords of the manor, St. John Knox Rickards Phillips esq. J.P., of Whitson Court, and the Misses Rous and Mrs. Dowle.

The soil is good loam; subsoil, clay. The land is nearly all pasture. The area is 1,085 acres, rateable value 1,676, and the population in 1891 was 107.

Parish Clerk, William Roberts.

Post Office: Richard Keyte, sub-postmaster.
Letters from Newport arrive at 8.50 a.m.; dispatched at 4.20 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Maindee, 5 miles distant

The children of this parish attend the school at Goldcliff.

PRIVATE
Phillips St. John Knox Richards J.P., Whitson court
Price Rev. John (vicar of Whitson & Goldcliff), Vicarage

COMMERCIAL
Gale Henry, farmer, Church farm
Hale John, farmer, Whitson farm
Howells Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer, Whitson green
James Thomas, Newhouse
Jones Edward, stone mason
Jones Robert, farmer
Keyte John, farmer, Chestnut Tree farm
Keyte Richard, carpenter, wheelwright & post office
Morgan Edgar, farmer, Court farm
Waters John, farmer, Green court
Webb Charles, farmer


dex