Christ Church, in the village of Govilon, is a building of stone in the Early English style, erected in 1848, and consecratod in 1860; it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, vestry and an incomplete western tower containing one bell: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1860. The living is a rectory, net income £157, including 1½ acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the rector of Llanwenarth Citra, and held since 1898 by the Rev. Charles Henry Edward Cropper. There is a Baptist chapel, founded in 1652.
Llanwenarth House is the seat of Frederick Morgan Humfrey, M.A., J.P.
The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are F. M. Humfrey esq., Lieut.Col. William Henry Wheeley and Lieut.-Col. James Seager Wheeley, both of The Pentre, Abergavenny.
The soil is sandy; subsoil, stone. The land is chiefly in pasture. The area is 2,433 acres of land and 22 of water. The rateable value is £3,648, the population in 1891 was 1,406, the ecclesiastical district of Christ Church containing1,058.
Parish Clerk and Sexton: John Harper.
Post & M.O.O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Govilon.
Joseph Davies, sub-postmaster.
Letters from Abergavenny arrive at 7 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. & sti@da3-s 9.25 ,i.m. Gilwern is the nearest telegraph Office, 2 miles distant.
Govilon Railwiy Station, Thomas Milne Youngson, station master
National School, erected, with residence, in 1846, enlarged in 1860, for 112 children; average attendance, 86.
Arthur T. Jenkins, master.
National School, erected in 1870, for 120 children; average attendance, 70.
Mrs. M. S. Armstrong, mistress
Bosanquet Victor, Glanbaiden
Jones Zephaniah, farmer, Cadfor Farm, Boat farm, Llanwenarth House farm. & Pentwyn.
Lewis James, farmer, Maesyfellin
Lewis Walter, farmer
Morgan Edward, rate collector & farmer, Brook farm
Morgan John, farmer, Hop Yard farm
Morgan William, farmer, Cwm farm & Bryny Cwm
Parry Thomas, farmer, White house
Taylor John, farmer, Red house
Thomas David, farmer, Cwm
Cropper Rev. Charles Henry Edward, (rector), Rectory
Hiley Lemuel, Ty-clyd
Humfrey Frederic Morgan, M.A., J.P., Llanwenarth house
Jones Arthur, Folley
Morgan William James, Hope house
Prosser Charles, Folley
Williams Rev. Thos. Hy. (Baptist), Greenfield
Williams Wm. Edwin J.P., Tyclyd
Amyes Thomas, miller (water), corn, feeding cakes, manure, seed & cider merchant, & agent for Norrington Hingston & Co. (Bristol) manures
Davies Joseph, carpenter, shopkeeper & post office
Davies Thomas, farmer, Maes-y-berllan
Evans Thomas, Bridge End inn
Griffiths Daniel, Gardeners' Arms P.H.
Hughson Edwin, grocer
Jones Anne (Mrs.), farmer, Govilon house
Jones Thomas, Butchers' Arms P.H
Parry William, farmer, Tilla
Parry William, farmer, Tucking mill
Price Thos. farmer, Upper Mill house
Thomas Mary (Mrs.), Green Dragon P.H.
Vaughan Margaret Annie (Miss), Lion P.H. & blacksmith
Vaughan Jane (Mrs.), Old Three Cocks P.H
Webb William, Lamb P.H
Williams John, Queen Victoria P.H
Probert Mary (Mrs.), Royal Oak P.H
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids