The church of St. Mapley is a building of stone in the Early English style, restored in 1861, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing 2 bells. There are 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1699. The living is a rectory, net income £200, with residence and 52 acres of glebe in the gift of the Marquess of Abergavenny K.,G. and held since 1898 by the Rev. Edward Mansel Townshend M.A. Clare College, Cambridge.
Here is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1810. The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. is lord of the manor.
The principal landowners are Mr. Powell, Thomas Prosser esq. and Miss Carlisle. The soil is clay; subsoil, loamy. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 845 acres; rateable value, £1,301 ; the popalation in 1891 was 113.
Post Office. Miss Mary Jones, sub-postmistress.
Letters through Abergavenny arrive at 7.55 a.m.; dispatched at 4.10 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but. not paid. Llantillio Crossenny is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant
Biggs Miss, The Mansion
Carlisle Miss, The Court
Townshend Rev. Edward Mansel, M.A., (rector), Rectory
Williams Rev. John Samuel (Congregational)
Biggs William, farmer, Perthypee
Davies John, Red Hart P.H
Jenkins John, blacksmith
Jones Mary (Miss), shopkeeper & Post office
Morgan Ernest, farmer
Morgan William, farmer, New house
Morris John, farmer
Phillips Oswald, farmer, Chapel farm
Pritchard John, miller (water)
Probert James, wheelwright