Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - USK
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
USK

including
GLASCOED and GWEHELLOG

USK is a market town and ancient borough, and head of a petty sessional division, parish and station on the Great Western railway, 157 miles north-west from London, 11 north-east from Newport, 13 south-west from Monmouth and 7 north-east from Pontypool, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Usk, union of Pontypool, rural deanery of Usk, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The town is seated on the banks of the river Usk, over which is a stone bridge of four arches, and is a place of remote antiquity, conjectured by some antiquaries to have been the "Burrium" of the Romans: the name Usk is derived from the Gaelic "Uisge," which signifies water: here are the remains of an ancient castle, standing on an eminence overlooking the town: this place was of great importance during the wars between the Welsh and the Anglo-Normans, and at a later period in the time of the celebrated Owen Glendower: in the civil commotions between Charles I and the Parliamentarians the castle was repeatedly assaulted, and, together with the town, partly demolished: the present remains of the castle are of considerable extent, and partially covered with ivy, and is now the property of Albert Addams-Williams esq.

The town was incorporated by charters granted by Edmund de Mortimer, Earl of March and Ulster, Edward II, Edward IV, and succeeding monarchs.

The corporation consisted of a portreeve, recorder, two bailiffs, burgesses and four constables, but was abolished by the "Municipal Corporations Act, 1883" (46 and 47 vict. c. 18).

Usk, in connection with the corporate towns of Newport and Monmouth, forms the Monmouth Parliamentary district, returning one member to Parliament. The town adopted the Local Government Act, 1858 (21 and 22 Vict. c. 98), December 3, 1872, and was governed by a Local Board, until the "Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), established the present Urban District Council. The town is paved, and lighted with gas by a company, formed in 1851, and supplied with water from works at Pandy, the property of the Usk Water Works Co.

The church of St Mary is an ancient building of stone, with portions of Norman, Late Decorated and Perpendicular work. The building is of Anglo-Norman origin and was originally cruciform: the two arms of the cross or transepts have been destroyed, also the apse; it was formerly the church of a house of Benedictine nuns, founded here before 1174 by Sir A. de Clare. It now consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, two porches and a very large and handsome central embattled tower, with turret, and containing 7 bells; the nave, north aisle and tower formed part of the ancient conventual church, and the gateway of the nunnery also remains: the tower was repaired in 1870, and in 1875 covered with slate instead of stone tile: in the church are several brasses, with inscriptions, including one placed in 1890, in memory of Col. Roden, who was murdered in Corsica: and a monument, erected in 1822, to Mr. Roger Edwards, who, in 1621, founded the Free Grammar School here: there is a good choir screen and three memorial windows; the church affords 800 sittings, 300 being free; in the churchyard are many monuments, including several of the old family of Nicholl of Ham, designed by the late Sir Digby Wyatt B.A. to whom there is also a memorial, erected by his brother.

The registers, including those of Gwehellog and Glascoed, date from 1742. The living is a vicarage, net income 188, with 1 acre of glebe and residence, in the gift of Albert Addams-Williams esq. and held since 1892 by the Rev. Percy Louis Charles Nash B.A. of Hatfield Hall, Durham University, who is also vicar of Monkswood. On the south-east of the church stands the Priory, which was rebuilt some years since, and the existing remains preserved as far as practicable.

The Catholic chapel, Porth-y-Carne street, dedicated to St. Francis Xavier, was erected in 1847; it is in the Gothic style, and was erected from designs furnished by the late Mr. Hansom, and has 120 sittings: at the back of the chapel is a small burial ground: the Rev. Joseph Hurley is the priest.

The Baptist chapel, Old Market street, was erected in 1842, and will seat 300.

The Congregational chapel, Twyn, erected in 1862, at a cost of 1,200, is a stone building in the Gothic style with a turret for one bell and has sittings for 400 persons.

The Wesleyan chapel, Maryport street, erected in the year 1817, has sittings for 350 persons.

The Court House, adjoining the prison, in which the Quarter Sessions are now held and county business transacted, is a large and handsome edifice of stone, which was completed and opened on the 16th of October, 1877, at a cost exceeding 15,000.

The Town Hall, in which Quarter Sessions until the last few years were held, is now used for public meetings. and entertainments.

Her Majesty's prison, in Maryport street, is a large. building of stone. arranged to hold about 200 prisoners on the separate system. There is a residence for the governor and the matron within the walls. The Rev.William Jones, of St. David's College, Lampeter and rector of Llansoy, is chaplain.

There are two banks, a branch of the London and Provincial Bank Limited and the Capital and Counties Bank Limited. The market is held on Friday and a cattle market the first and third Monday in every month. Fairs are held on 20th April, wool fair Trinity Monday, 29th October, and Christmas fair on the 16th December. Wood turning and chair making is carried on. There is a Working Men's Conservative Club with about 90 members. The 'G' Company 4th Volunteer Battalion, South Wales Borderers, have head quarters in the town.

At Llangeview, about 3 miles from Usk, are almshouses, founded by Roger Edwards, for 12 poor persons, each of whom receives 16 yearly; attached to the building is a chapel, with a chaplain appointed by the trustees: the chaplaincy has been held since 1897 by the Rev. William Watkin Jones, vicar of Llantrissant: a surgeon also is provided and paid by the trust, the present medical attendant being George Harrison Jenkins esq. : the almshouses were rebuilt on their old site in 1826.

The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Sir Arthur John Fludyer bart. of Ayston Hall, Rutland, the trustees of George Whitlock Nichol csq. (d. 1889), John Jenkins esq. Albert Addams-Williams esq. and Col. Francis McDonnell.

The soil is Silurian, and the subsoil, sand and gravel. The area of Usk township and urban district is 383 acres of land and 23 of water; rateable value, 6,363; the area of the whole parish is 4,928 acres of land and 35 of water; the population of the parish in 1891 was 1,417, which includes 73 in H.M. Prison; the population of the parliamentary borough was 1,447.

Parish Clerk, James Simmonds.

GLASCOED is a hamlet, in the parish of Usk, 3 miles west from the town of Usk: the chapel of ease here is a small building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave, with 110 sittings, and a burial ground attached: divine service is conducted in the chapel once on Sundays, by the vicar of Usk or his curate: there is also a Baptist chapel. The area is 1,749 acres; rateable value, 1,428; the population in 1891 was 224.

Letters from Pontypool arrive at 9.30 a.m. Wall Letter Box cleared at 5.25 p.m. week days only.

A School Board of 7 members was formed 27 May, 1879, for the united district of LIanbadoc, Glascoed & Monkswood; Evelyn Waddington, clerk to the board; Henry Williams, Bryn farm, Glascoed, school attendance officer

Board School, built in 1882, at a cost of 600, for 80 children; average attendance, 53; William Webb, master; Mrs. Jones, sewing mistress

GWEHELLOG is also a hamlet, in the parish of Usk, occupying the north-eastern part of the parish, and closely adjoining the town of Usk. An evening service is held in the schoolroom on Sunday at 6 o'clock by the vicar or a lay member of his church. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The area is 2,796 acres of land and 12 of water; rateable value, 2,546; the population in 1891 was 315.

Letters arrive from Usk at 8.30 a.m. Wall Letter B.~xes cleared at 6 p.m. & at Lancayo at 5.10 p.m. week days only.

National School, built in 1872, for 60 children; average attendance, 40; Miss Annie Nixon, mistress

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS, &c.

Post, MO, TO, TMO, Express Delivery, Parcel Post, SB & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Mrs. Mary Frances Creese, postmistress, Bridge street. Letters through Newport. Mails dispatched to London & all parts at 9.40 a.m. & 1, 5.15 & 7.50 p.m.; mails arrive from London & all parts at 5.27 a.m. & at 2.40 p.m.; delivery commences at 7 a.m. & 3 p.m. Money order office & savings bank open daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; sat. to 8 p.m.; sundays excepted. Post office closes at 8pm Wall Letter Box, Castle parade, cleared 9.30 a.m. & 12.45 & 5.5 p.m. week days only

MAGISTRATES FOR THE USK PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.
McDonnell, Col. Fras. D.L. chairman
Raglan Lord, Cefntilla court, Usk
Humphreys Humphrey esq. Riverside house, New Market street, Usk
Rickards Robert esq. The Priory, Usk
Rickards Robert Windsor esq. The Priory, Usk, Newport
Williams Albert Addams esq. Penpark, LIangibby, Newport
Williams Harold Addams esq. Llwyn-y-Celyn, Caerleon, Newport
The chairmen, for the time being, of the Usk Unban & Pontypool Rural District Council are ex-officio magistrates
Clerk to the Magistrates, Evelyn Waddington, Bridge st
Petty Sessions are held every other thursday at the sessions house at 11 o'clock
The following places are included in the petty sessional division :-Bettws Newydd, Gwehellog, Gwernesney, Kemeys Commander, Llanbadoc, Llangeview, Llangibby, LIangwm-Isaf, Llangwm-Ucha, Llanllowell, Llansoy, LIantrissant, Monkswood, Trostrey & Usk

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL.
Offices, Town Hall.
Council meeting on 1st thurs. in each month, at 7.30 p.m.

Members.
All retire in April, 1901.

Chairman, Henry Arthur Addis.
James Davies
Reuben Morgan
Walter Stafford Gustard
George Mundy
Sidney Arthur Hiley
Sidney Smith
Frank Jennings
William Workman
James Knight
Two vacancies.

Officers.
Clerk, Arthur Francis Lucas, Twyn house
Treasurer, Thomas James Grigson, London & Provincial Bank Limited
Medical Officer of Health, George Harrison Jenkins, LRCP, LRCS (Edin.), LFP & S & LM. (Glas.), Ty Cornel, Usk
Surveyor, Sanitary Inspector of Nuisances & Collector, Thomas Rees, jun, New Market street

PONTYPOOL RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL. Chairman, R. W. Spencer, Graigolway, Usk Meet at the Court house on the first fri. in each month. Clerk, Thomas Watkins, Club chambers, Pontypool Treasurer, William Collins, Lloyds Bank Lim. Pontypool Medical Officer of Health, George Harrison Jenkins, LRCP, LRCS (Edin.), LFP & S & LM. (Glas.), Ty Cornel, Usk Sanitary Inspector, R Derrett, Kensington cottage, Llanbadoc

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.

County Court (sits at the Sessions house every other month), His Honor William Stephenson Owen, judge; A. E. Bowen, registrar; William Graham, high bailiff; Alfred Griffiths, sub-bailiff; -Frederick William Pratt, clerk; offices, Bridge street; the district comprises the following places within its jurisdiction :-Bettws Newydd, Bryngwyn, Clytha, Glascoed, Goytrey, Gwehcllog, Gwernesney, Kemeys Commander, Kemeys Inferior, Llanbadoc, Llandegfeth, LIandenny, Llangeview, LIangibby, Llangwm-Ucha, Llangwm-Isha, LIanhennock, LIanishen, Llanllowell, Llansoy, Llantrissent, Llanvihangel-tor-y-Mynydd, Monkswood Chapel, New Church West, Raglan, Tredunnock, Trostrey, Usk, Wolves Newton

For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of Newport; George Henry Llewellyn, Westgate chambers, Commercial street, Newport, official receiver

Clerk of the Peace Office, Bridge street

County Police Station, New Market street, William Sheddick, sergeant, & 2 constables

Her Majesty's Prison, Maryport street, Rev. Wm. Jones, chaplain; Donald Fludyer Boulton MRCS (Eng.), surgeon; Frank Walker Gibson, governor; Mrs. Ward, matron
Sessions House, Maryport st., Miss Agnes Davies, hall keeper.
Stamp Office, Bridge street, Mrs. Mary Frances Creese, distributor
Town Hall, New Market st. Miss Agnes Davies, hall keeper

VOLUNTEERS.
4th Volunteer Battalion South Wales Borderers (G Company); head quarters, Porth~y-Carne st.; Capt. A.W. White, sergeant-instructor, Joseph Chilton

PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Assistant Overseer, Oliver Jenkins, Mill street
Certifying Factory Surgeon, George Harrison Jenkins, LRCP & LRCS (.Edin.), LFP & S & LM (Glas.), Ty Cornel
Clerk of the Peace & to the County Council, Henry Stafford Gustard, Newport
Clerk & Solicitor to the Monmouthshire Commission of Sewers, Walter Stafford Gustard, Bridge street
Inland Revenue Officer, Henry Best, Wood view, Llanbadoc
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Usk District, Pontypool Union, George Harrison Jenkins, LRCP & LRCS (Edin.), LFP & S & LM (Glas.), Ty Cornel
Registrar of Births & Deaths for Usk Sub-District, Pontypool Union, Lawrence Stephen Davies, New Market st
Deputy Registrar of Births '& Deaths, Percy John Roberts, Merlin cottage, New Market street
Relieving & Vaccination Officer, Usk District, Pontypool Union, Lawrence Stephen Davies, New Market street
Steward of the Manor of Usk, Walter 'Stafford Gustard, Bridge street

PLACES OF WORSHIP
with times of services.

St. Mary's Church, Rev. Percy Louis Charles Nash BA, vicar; Rev. Edward William Wynn Pugh BA, curate; 8.30 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; daily, 10 a.m. & 6 p.m., & saints' days & festivals, 8.30 a.m. & 7 p.m

St. Francis Xavier (Catholic), Porth-y-carne street, Rev. Joseph Hurley, priest; mass, 11 a.m. ; vespers & benediction, 6 p.m.; daily mass, 8.30 a.m

Baptist, Old Market street, Rev. Henry Beresford Robinson; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; thurs. 7.30 p.m

Baptist, Glascoed (various); 11 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; thurs. 7.30 p.m

Congregational, Twyn, Rev. Jacob Clyn Williams; 11 a.m.& 6 p.m.; wed. 7 p.rn

Wesleyan, Maryport street; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; & every alternate thurs. at 7.30 p.m

Wesleyan, Gwehelog; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m

SCHOOLS.
Grammar, Maryport street, founded by Mr. Roger Edwards in 1621; now a high grade school under the Welsh Intermediate Education Act of 1889; formerly an elementary commercial school, was supported out of the trust funds, but in lieu of this an annual grant is now made of a certain proportion of the funds, fixed by the scheme; the school buildings were rebuilt in 1847 & enlarged in 1864; the governors are 12 in number, & are elected by the County Council, the Urban District Council & the School Board in the district; James Charles Lowe, master; Mrs Emma Lowe, mistress Technical Classes under the County Council are held as follows -Science & Art (T. Chambers), Commercial Arithmetic (J. C. Lowe) & Shorthand (Frost Roberts)

National, Maryport street, erected in 1869, for 200 children; average attendance, 160; Thos. Chambers, master

National (infants), Maryport street, erected in 1876, for 150 children; average attendance, 88; Miss Florence Downes & Mrs. Price, mistresses

Newspaper.-The County Observer & Monmouthshire Advertiser, published saturday; The County Observer Newspaper & Printing Co. Limited, proprietors

Railway Station, Albert King, station master

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Addis Henry Arthur, Fernleigh house, Mill street
Ault Horatio, The Croft
Barnard Gen. Sir Charles London R.M.A., K.C.B. Castle house
Boulton Donald Fludyer,New Market st
Bowen Alfred Edward, Castle vale
Channer Lt.-Col. Bernard, D.S.O., The Lawns
Cherry Mrs., Brendon cottage, New Market street
Clark Jas. Henry, Woodbank, Bridge st
Cooke Miss, Plas Mawr, Old Market st
Crichton Mrs., Victoria villa
Davies Joseph, Bank house, Bridge st
Davies Mrs. Oliver, Porth-y-carne st
Drowley Charles Edward, Maryport st
Edwards John Jas. New Market sq
Eleanor Deaconess, Rhiw castell
Evans Misses, Ty mellyn, New mrkt.st
Freeman Henry, Plas Newydd
Gething Mrs., Ivy cottage, New Mrkt st
Gustard Hy. Stafford, Porthycarne ho
Hiley Sidney Arthur, The Laurels, Portb-y-Carne street
Hobbs William, Bridge street
Humphreys Humphrey J.P. River side house, New Market street
Hurley Rev. Joseph (Catholic), Porthy-carne street
Jenkins John, Portsandpit house
Jennings Frank, Castle street
Jones William, Priory street
Knight James Henry, Chepstow road
Lawrence Mrs. Ty-Brith
Lewis Geo. Chapel house, Old Mrkt. st
Lowe James Charles, High Grade school, Maryport street
Lucas Arthur Francis, Twyn house
Messer Mrs. Vine cottage, Four Ash St
Morgan Miss, Twyn square
Morgan Reuben, Bridge street
Mortimer Charles, Maryport street
Mortimer Charles Allen, Brook cot
Mundy George, Maryport street
Myers Leonard, Maryport street
Nash Rev. Percy Louis Charles B.A. (vicar), Vicarage, The Twyn
Nicholas James, Four Ash street
Palk Henry, Walton lodge, Maryport st
Parker James, Maryport street
Parker Mary Ann (Mrs.), The Laurels, Priory street
Phillips Mrs. William, Bridge street
Price George, Bridge street
Pugh Rev. Edward William Wynn B.A. (curate), Maryport street
Rees Thomas, jun. New Market st
Rickards Robert J.P. The Priory
Rickards Rbt.Windsor J.P. The Priory
Roberts John, New Market street
Roberts Miss, The Rosary, New Market street
Robinson Rev. Henry Beresford (Bapt.), New Market street
Sheppard Miss, Castle cottage, The Twyn
Smith Sidney, Bridge street
Stockley Capt. Arthur Uniacke R.A. (adjt. 1st Monmouthshire Vol. Artillery), Monmouth house, Four Ash st
Stone Enoch, Castle parade
Voyce Chas.The Rosary,New Market at
Waddington Evelyn, Beech hill
Watkins John Maitland, Castle parade
Weare William, New Market street
Whitton Arabella (Mrs), Old Market st
Williams Rev. Jacob Glyn (Cong.), The Holt, Maryport street
Workman William, Maryport street

COMMERCIAL.
Addis Henry Arthur, sec. to the Usk Gas Co. Lim. Four Ash street
Ault Percy, chemist & wine & spirit agent, Bridge street
Baynham John Morley, surveyor & accountant, Maryport street
Bellamy Edward, insurance agent, Twyn square
Bevan William, hair dresser, New Market street
Boulton Donald Fludyer MRCS.Eng., LSA. surgeon, & surgeon H.M. prison, New Market street
Bowen Alfred Edward, solicitor & commissioner for oath & registrar of Unk County Court (firm, Le Brasseur & Bowen), Bridge street
Bunning William, ironmonger, Bridge street
Cale John George, butcher, Twyn square
Capital & Counties Bank Limited (branch) (Leonard Myers, manager), Twyn square; draw on head office, Threadneedle street, London E C
Charles John, tailor, Bridge street
Cheeseman Geo. Wm., King's Head hotel, Old Market st
Chilton Joseph, sergeant-instructor to the (G Co.) 4th Volunteer Bat. South Wales Borderers, New Market st
Clark James Henry, printer, Bridge street
Clift & Nicholas, photographers, Maryport street
County Court (Alfred Edward Bowen, registrar); office, Bridge street
County Observer Newspaper & Printing Co. Limited (James Henry Clark, managing director), printers & publisbers; (published saturday), Bridge street
Davies Bros. wheelwrights & timber merchants, Steam saw mills, Woodbine place
Davies Charles Roger, saddler & boot seller, Bridge at
Davies David John, Royal hotel, New Market street
Davies Frank Henry, painter, Maryport street
Davies Frances Maria (Mrs.), Bed Lion P.R. Church street
Davies James, painter & plumber, Bridge street
Davies Joseph, manager of London & Provincial Bank, Bridge street
Davies Lawrence Stephen, relieving & vaccination officer, collector & registrar of births & deaths, Usk sub-district, Pontypool union, New Market street; attends mon. 5 to 7 p.m.; wed. & sat.10 a.m. to 1 p.m
Davies Roy (Mrs.), apartments, 2 Baron street
Davies William, cooper, Bridge street
Day Thomas, coal merchant, Mill street
Doubleday Charles Neison, fishmonger, Bridge street
Dunning Henry, photographer, Bridge street
Edmunds George, rate oollector, Maryport street
Edmunds George, White Hart P.H. & butcher, Bridge at
Edwards John James, grocer & oil mer. Old Market at
Etheridge Mary (Mrs.), Lamb & Flag inn, Maryport at
Evans Geo. principal warder H.M. prison, Old Market at
Fordham Thomas, baker, Castle parade
Frost Mary & Emily (Misses),refreshment roonns,Bridge at
Gilbert Ann (Mrs.), Nag's Head P.H. Twyn square
Gilbert Arthur Henry, blacksmith, Twyn square
Gilbert George, fishmonger, Bridge street
Green, Arthur James, proprietor, The Three Salmons hotel
The Three Salmons family & commercial hotel and posting house. Arthur James Green, proprietor. Every accommodation for commercials and anglers. Close to station and river Usk. Noted for Salmon and trout fishing. Horses and traps let on hire. Bridge street. Telephone No. Usk 3.
Griffiths Alfred, sub-bailiff to county court, Woodbine
Gustard & Waddington, solicitors, Bridge street
Gustard Walter Stafford (Firm, Gustard & Waddington), solicitor, & steward of the Manor of Usk & clerk & solicitor to the commissioners of shewers, Bridge street
Haggett John, butcher & beer retailer, Bridge street
Hawkins Evan, shopkeeper, Baron street
Haynes Ernest Boulton, tailor, Bridge street. Tel. No. Usk 5
Hayward Tudor, printer, New Market street
Herbert Richard, grocer & wine & spirit merchant, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey Lim., wine & spirit merchants, Twyn square
Hennessey John, saddler, Bridge street
H.M. Prison (Rev. William Jones, chaplain; Donald Fludyer Boulton M.R.C.S.Eng. surgeon; F. W. Gibson, governor; Mrs. Ward, matron), Maryport street
Hill Frederick, manager, Usk Gas Co. Lim. Four Ash street
Hobbs William & Annie (Miss), grocers, Bridge street
Holbrook Thomas Henry, reporter, Maryport street
Jenkins Geo. Harrison, L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.Edin., L.F.P.& S. & L.M.Glas., physician & surgeon, & medical officer Druids Friendly Society, & medical officer of health to Usk Urban District Council & Pontypool Rural District Council, medical officer & public vaccinator Usk district, Pontypool union, & certifying factory surgeon, Ty Cornel
Jenkins Oliver, farmer & assistant overseer, Mill street
Jennings Frank, G.W.R. agent, Castle street
Jones Alexander John, joiner & undertaker, Twyn square
Jones Edward, grocer, draper & wine & spirit merchant, & agent for the Phoenix & Railway Passengers' Insurance Companies, Bridge street; & at Raglan.
Jones Emily Kate (Mrs.), stationer, Bridge street
Jones Maurice, jeweller, Castle parade
Jones Tom, coach builder & wheelwright, New Market street
Jones William, boot & shoe maker, Priory street
Jones William, mason, Castle street
King Albert, station master, Westeria cottage, New Market street
Knight James Henry, wood turner, Chepstow road
Le Brasseur & Bowen, solicitors, Bridge street
London & Provincial Bank Lim. (branch) (Joseph Davies, manager), Bridge street; draw on head office, Bank buildings E C & Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co. 67 Lombard street, London E C
Lucas Arthur Francis, clerk to the Urban District Council, Twyn house
Lucas Leslie Richard, builder, painter & decorator, Maryport street
Marshall Herbert, basket maker, Bridge street
Martin William, insurance agent, Twyn square
Mayberry Emma Jane (Mrs.), Llangibby Arms P.H., Old Market street
Mayberry William, butcher, Old Market street
Merrett Florence & Elizabeth (Misses), boarding school, Maryport street
Merrett John, jobbing gardener, Old Market street
Morgan Edward, haulier, Four Ash street
Morgan Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper, New Market street
Morgan Mary Arm (Mrs.), Castle hotel, Twyn square
Morgan Reuben, boot & shoe maker, Bridge street
Morgan Thomas, timber haulier, Maryport street
Morgan William, shoe maker, Four Ash street
Mortimer Charles Allen, sec. to the Discharged Prisoners' Aid Society, Brook cottage
Mundy George, coal dealer & hay merchant, Maryport street
Myers Leonard, manager of the Capital & Counties Bank, Twyn street
Nicholas James, carpenter, Four Ash street
Nicholas Oliver, beer retailer & picture frame maker, Maryport street
Parker Caroline (Mrs.), lodging house, Twyn
Parry Thomas Jenkins, White Lion P.H. New Market street
Pewtner Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Maryport street
Phillips George, horsebreaker, Worcester cottage
Pitt John, butcher, Bridge street
Powell Hy. Gilbert, tobacconist & hair dresser, Bridge street
Powell William, violinist, Mill street
Pratt William, clerk to county court, Bridge street
Price John, Queen's Head P.H. New Market street
Probert Tom, blacksmith, Four Ash street & Castle Street
Rees Margaret (Mrs.), china & glass dealer, Old Market street
Rees Thomas jun., sanitary inspector, collector & surveyor to the Urban District Council, & secretary to Usk Water Works Co., New Market street
Rivers Arthur, wine & spirit merchant, Bridge street
Roberts Maria (Mrs.) & Elizh.(Miss), grocers, Maryport street
Roberts Percy John, deputy registrar of births & deaths, Merlin cottage, New Market street
Rogers Richard Arthur, builder, Bridge street
Rowen & Son, fruiterers, Bridge street
Russell William, Cardiff Arms P.H. Bridge street
Savery Thomas Henry, cycle agent, Castle parade; & at Priory street, Monmouth
Savery Julia Harriet (Mrs.), Usk Temperance hotel, Castle parade
Selby George, shoe maker, Old Market street
Slade William, Cross Keys P.H. Bridge street
Smith George, shoe maker, Bridge street
Smith Sidney H., M.R.C.V.S. Vet. surgeon, Bridge street
Smith Thomas Jones, draper & outfitter, & agent for Mortimer's dyeing works, Bridge
street Stibbs Frederick, confectioner, Old Market street
Stockham Beeston, carpenter, Maryport street
Stockham Henry, boot & shoe maker, Twyn square
Stockham Sarah (Mrs.), glass & china dlr. Old Market street
Stonier Walter Sidney, Greyhound inn, Four Ash street
Sweet Walter John, painter, Bridge street
Symonds James, watchmaker, Four Ash street
Thomas ]Franklin (Mrs.), seed dlr. & confectioner, Bridge street
Thomas John Henry, butcher, Old Market street
Thomas William, plasterer, Twyn square
Thomas William, tailor & outfitter, Bridge street
Town Hall (Miss Agnes Davies, hall keeper), NewMarket street
Trahearn James, general dealer, Bridge street
Usk Farmers' Club (Richarcl Marfell, sec. ; Charles Francis, treas.); committee room, Three Salmons hotel
Usk Gas Co. Lim. (Hy. Arthur Addis, sec.; Joseph Davies, treas. ; Frederick Hill, manager), Four Ash street
Usk Water Works Co. Lim. (Thomas Rees (junior), secretary)
Volunteer Battalion (4th) South Wales Borderers (G Company, Capt. A. W. White; Sergt. Joseph Chilton, drill instructor), head quarters, Porth-y-carne street
Waddington Evelyn (firm, Gustard & Waddington), solicitor & clerk to the magistrates, Bridge street
Waters Edward Walter, Golden Lion P.H. Bridge street
Watkins Eleanor & Isabell, (Misses), ladies' high school, Bridge street
Watkins James, gardener to Miss Carbonnell, Castle parade
Watkins John MaitIand, solicitor, Porth-y-carne street
Wheeler Ephraim, chair maker, New Market street
Wheeler James, chair maker, New Market street
Whitton Joseph, painter, Old Market street
Williams Eliza & Margaret (Misses), confectioners & dress makers, Maryport street
Williams Fanny Elizh.(Mrs.), New Court hotel, Maryport street
Williams John Albert, carpenter, Church street
Williams Mary (Mrs.), laundress, Four Ash street
Williams Morgan, shopkeeper, Maryport street
Williams Thomas, water bailiff, New Market street
Williams William, blacksmith, Maryport street
Working Men's Conservative Club (Chas. Allen Mortimer, sec.), Porth-y-carne street
Workman William, coal dealer, Maryport street

GLASCOED
Bryan James, farmer
Cowles William, farmer, Little Trostrey
Davis Uriah, farmer, Lower Cwmare
Edward James, farmer,Cherry Orchrd
Gibbons James, Haulier, Ton
Griffiths John, farmer, Pettingale farm
Griffiths Jn. farmer, New House farm
Gwatkin Edmund, farmer, Maes Mawr
Harrhy Mrs. Mary Ann, farmer, Ton
Heath William, farmer, Trostrey farm
Jacob Theophilus, farmer
Jones Thos. farmer, Lower Wernhir
Lewis John, farmer
Lewis William, farmer, Cross farm
Morgan George, farmer, The Wern
Morgan Edward, farmer, Holly btisli
Morgan Henry, farmer, Llanyanant
Parry Tom, farmer, Glascoed vach
Powell Edward, farmer, Hill farm
Stoneham William, farmer, Upper Cwmare
Williams Henry, farmer & assistant overseer & school attendance officer, Bryn farm
Williams James, farmer, Tycoeb farm
Williams Philip, farmer, Beech farm
Williams Thomas, High Cross P.H
Williams William, farmer, Upper House

GWEHELLOG
Ferguson Col. Richard Patrick, Lancayo house
Morgan Mrs. Mary, Lancayo
Walters David, Glenhailog

COMMERCIAL
Cale John, farmer, Coed-y-Brain
Davies Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Davies Thomas, farmer, New Barn
Evans Anne (Mrs.), farmer, .Panty Colin
Evans Naomi (Mrs.), farmer, Ty-Freeman
George Thomas, farmer
Hoskins George, farmer, Green court
James James, farmer, Lancayo farm
Jenkins Henry, farmer, Pentwyn farm
Jones John, farmer, Beechhill farm
Marfell Richard, farmer, Little Lancayo
Powell Frederick George, farmer, Little Castle farm
Powell Maria (Miss), farmer, Oak farm
Price Edward, farmer, Pantresoss
Pritchard Herbert, farmer
Sawtell Bros., farmrs, Pentwyn
Thomas Arthur, blacksmith, Lancayo
West Albert, Gardener to Evelyn Waddington Esq.
Williams Henry, farmer, Cwm Cayo
Williams Elizabeth (Mrs.), Hall Inn P.H.
Williams Thomas, farmer
Williams William, Market Gardener