Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - UNDY
Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
UNDY
UNDY is a parish on the Bristol Channel, about one mile east from Magor station on the South Wales section of tbe Great Western railway, 10 miles east-by-south from Newport and 9 south-west from Chepstow, in tbe Southern division of the county, lower division of Caldicot. petty sessional division of Newport, hundred, union and county court district of Chepstow, rural deanery of Netherwent, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel. nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell; there is a 13th century west window. The chancel arch and the doorway of the porch are Norman. On the south side of the chancel arch are traces of a hagioscope. The cburch was restored in 1880, at a total cost of about 800, when a central tower of comparatively modern date was removed, and a bellturret substituted, and in 1890 a vestry was erected north of the chancel, at a cost of 50. There are 84 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1760, marriages from 1813.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly income 184, with 31 acres of glebe and residence, in tbe gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1871 by the Rev. George Davis, who is also a surrogate. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Mill Common.

Lord Tredegar and the Crown are Lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are Anthony Birrell esq. of Chearsley House, near Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Mrs. Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor Park, Loughborough, Leicestershire, and the trustees of the late James Pride esq.

The soil is sandy, subsoil, clay, and the chief crops are wheat, barley and hay. The area is 1,763 acres of land and 2,120 of foreshore. The rateable value is 5,398, and the population in 1891 was 393.

Parish Clerk: Edward Lawrence.

Post: Letters through Newport arrive at 9am. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Magor, one mile distant. Wall Letter Boxes, near the Church, cleared at, 4:20pm & at West End, cleared at 4:30 pm, week days only.

School: There is a National School (mixed), built in 1871, for 65 children, average attendance, 56. Miss Amelia Curry, mistress, and Miss Mary Jane Musgrove, assistant mistress.

Overseer: James Jenkins, of Magor

Police Station: Robert Taylor, constable.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Bevan Mrs. Mill Brook house
Davies Rev. Henry Lewis (curate)
James Thomas
Lewis Thomas, Woodville
Price Rev. Wm. Jn. ( Congregational)
Sparks Rev. George Davis (vicar & surrogate), The Vicarage
Wellington Thomas, Ash cottage

COMMERCIAL

Andrews William, butcher
Brace William, farmer
Clark Wm., farmer, St. Martin's frm
Cullimore William Robert, farmer & commission agent, Arch farm
Gardner Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Cottage farm
Hale John, farmer, Church farm
Harris Henry, farmer, Mill common
Hodges Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Little hill
Hodges Sarah Ann (Mrs.), farmer, The Elms farm
Huggett Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Bridge End farm
James Richd., farmer, The Causeway
James John, farmer, Moorgate
Jenkins Geo., farmer, The Causeway
Knapp Charles, farmer, West End farm
Lawrence Samuel, Mole Catcher, Commoncoed
Lewis William, bailiff to Mr H. Davies, Whitehall farm
Martin Richard farmer
Perry William, farmer, Arch farm
Phillips Benjamin, farmer, Great House & Chapel farms
Phillips James, farmer
Sheppard Isaac, farmer, Brook house
Smith Fred., carpenter & wheelwright
Thomas Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Tithe farm


dex