Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.

LLANTRISSENT

including

PERTHOLEY


LLANTRISSENT is a parish on the river Usk and on the mail road from Usk to Chepstow, and there is also a road to New Passage over Pen-y-caemawr Hill; it is 3 miles south-by-east from Usk station on the Great Western railway, in the southern division of the county, upper division of Usk, hundred and union of Pontypool, petty sessional division and county court district of Usk, Pontypool and Usk highway district, rural deanery of Usk, arehdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of SS. Peter, Paul and John is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a large embattled western tower containing 2 bells : it was restored in 1883 at a cost of about 600, and has 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1743.

The living is a vicarage, net income 105, with 36 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Joseph Jones esq. and held since 1892 by the Rev. William Watkins Jones, of St. Bees, who is also chaplain of the almshouses at Llangeview.

Scyborwen is the residence of Lady Legge. Thomas Colborne esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Messrs. Cartwright, Thomas Llewellin esq., William Henry Phillips Jenkins esq. of St. Pierre, Chepstow, Mrs. Rowlands and the trustees of Roger Lewis esq., Simeon Scard esq. and Evan William Evans esq.

The soil is stiff clay; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are seeds and roots. The area is 2,740 acres of land, 10 of water, 14 of tidal water and 1 of foreshore; rateable value, 2,145; population, 204.

PERTHOLEY is a parochial chapelry. The ruined chapel is on the estate of Philip Morel esq. whose son occupies Pertholey park.

Parish Clerk, George Arnold.

Post Office, The Hand.
George Arnold, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive from Usk at 8.40 a.m.; box cleared at 9.40 a,m. & 4.50 p.m., week days only. Postal orders issued, but not paid. Usk is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant

National School (mixed), erected in 1849, for 80 children. Average attendance, 35. Mrs. Doubting, mistress

PRIVATE
Evans Evan William, Gwernddu
Jones Rev. William Watkins, Vicarage,
Morel Philip, jun., Pertholey park
Legge Lady, Scyborwen

COMMERCIAL
Collins John, farmer, Killudda
Evans Edward, farmer, Nant-y-banno
Evans Evan Wm., farmer, Gwernddu
Hambry Sidney, farmer, Pen-y-worlod
Hayward Frederick, farmer & Royal Oak P.H
Hawker Alfred, farmer, Allt farm
Hunt Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Penuchyplwydd
Jenkins John, farmer, Home farm
Miles John, farmer, Church farm
Moore Henry, farmer, Lloyna mill
Morgan Charles, farmer, Ty Mawr
Morgan Henry, farmer, Lloyna farm
Organ George, farmer, Newhouse
Pitt James, farmer, Cwm farm
Powell Alfred, farmer, Arch farm
Rogers Annie (Mrs.), apartments, Brook vale
Rogers Wm., blacksmith, Brook vale,,
Thomas Job, Greyhound P.H. & farmer
Thomas William, farmer, Whitehall
Williams Edwd., farmer, Lower Church farm
Williams Wm., farmer, The Tump


dex