The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells: the chancel retains an ancient piscina; the stone steps and doorway formerly leading to the rood loft still exist; and there are mural tablets to the Wysome family: the church was restored in 1888 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and has 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1751. The living is a vicarage, net income £150 with 7 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff and held since 1877 by the Rev. William Evans, of St. Aidans. Charities amounting to £31 yearly are distributed in bread and money.
Llwyn-y-Gaer is an ancient house, surrounded by a moat, over which formerly was a drawbridge, and is said to have been visited by Charles I during the Civil war: it also contains a solid oak staircase ; the glazing of some of the old windows is separated by broad wooden uprights, and in one room is the figure of an angel in plaster, covering about 6o square feet.
The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Llangattock, Col. Ivor John Caradoc Herbert, C.B., C.M.G., Major John Alderson Eastham, of Coed Cefn, and Mrs. Rachel Rowland.
The soil is clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 2,416 acres; rateable value, £1,860; the popnlation in 1891 was 262.
Parish Clerk: George Jones.
Letters through Monmouth arrive at 8 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Raglan, 2 miles distant.
Wall Letter Boxes, Church, cleared at 3.5 p.m. & Coed Cefn, cleared at 3.45 week days only.
A School Board of 5 members was formed 15 April, 1876, for the united district of Dingestow & Tregare; George Farmer, jun., of Monmouth, clerk to the board & attendance officer.
Board School, built in 1875, for 96 children; average attendance, 50.Joseph Cooper, master; Mrs. Cooper, infants' mistress.
Eastham Maj. John Alderson, Coed Cefn
Evans Rev. William, Vicarage
Coles James, farmer, Yew Tree
Davies Walter, farmer, Tybea
Edwards Amos, farmer, Little Beiliau
Evans Lewis, miller (water), Tregare mill
Evans William, farmer, Court Robert
Griffiths Enoch, engineer, The Hands
Griffiths Evan, Wernymelin farm
Heath George, farmer, Whitehouse
James Walter, farmer, Lower house
Jones Benjamin, White Lion P.H
Jones James, farmer, Penylan
Jones William, farmer, Ty-shaw
Lathom Sarah (Mrs.), farmer, Llwyncrwn
Lewis Jeremiah, farmer, Cefn-garw
Miles Jane (Miss), farmer, Great Beiliau
Morgan Henry, mason
Parry Albert, farmer, Coed-y-poth
Smith Dinah (Mrs.), farmer, Orchard
Smith Edward, wheelwright
Thomas Henry, farmer, Blackhouse
Thomas Mary (Mrs.), blacksmith
Thomas Thomas, farmer, Wain
Thomas Walter, farmer, Henllis
Townselid Sidney, farmer, Llyn-y-gaer
Williams William, farmer, Pentre