Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.

ST. MELLONS


ST. MELLONS (or St. Melans) is a parish on the main road from Milford to Gloucester, 3 miles west from Marshfield station on the Great Western (South Wales) .railway and 4 north-east-by-east from Cardiff, in the southern division of the county, hundred of Wentloog, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church of St. Melans, repaired in 1868, is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with lady chapel and mortuary chapel, nave, porch and an embattled tower at the west end of the lady chapel, containing now only 2 bells in a perfect state: the ancient wagon roof, several benches and an early font still remain in good preservation. There are 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1722. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 280, with 49 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1893 by the Rev. Theophilus Rees, Here are Baptist and Calvinistic Methodist chapels. Charities producing 39 9s. 6d. yearly are distributed in money.

To the south of the road, between St. Mellons and Rumney, and near Pen-y-Pil, is a small encampment of an irregular circular form.

The principal seats are Llan-Rumney hall, the residence of George Crofts Williams esq., J.P.; Vaindre Hall, of William Henry Brain esq., J.P., and Ty-to-Maen, of Richard Allen esq.   The principal landowners are Charles Theodore Halswell Kemeys-Tynte esq., of Cefn Mably, Cardiff; Lord Tredegar (who is lord of the manor); Col. Sir Arthur Mackworth bart., R.E., of Glen Usk, Caorleon; George Crofts Williams esq. and Richard Allen esq. The soil is gravelly loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are corn and hay. The area is 2,579 acres of' land and 12 of water; rateable value, 8,926 ; the population in 1891 was 650.

Sexton, George Evans.

Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.
Elizabeth Jane Walkley, sub-postmistress.
Letters from Cardiff arrive at 6.40 a.m. & 2.30 p.m. ; dispatched at 1.10, 4.40 & 6.30 p.m

ST. MELLONS RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

The district comprises the parishes of Bedwas, Bettws, Coedkernew, Duffryn, Graig, Henllys, Machen Lower, Machen Upper, Malpas, Marshfield, Michaelstone-y-Vedw, Mynyddyslwyn, Peterstone, Rogerstone, Rumney, St. Brides Wentloog, St. Mellons & St. Woollos.

The rateable value in 1900 was 105,182

The Council meets at the Board Room, Queen's hill, Newport, the second wednesday in every month at 11.30 a.m.

Chairman, Edward Davis, Machen house
Clerk, John Powell, Queen's hill, Newport
Treasurer, Edwin Webber, National Provincial Bank, Newport
Medical Officer of Health, Walter Evelyn James, M.R.C.S.(Eng.), L.R.C.P.(Lond.), Abercarn house, Abercarn, Newport.
Highway Surveyor, J. H. Scott, Courty bella, Newport
Sanitary Inspector & Building Surveyor, Joseph Jones, Little Oak, Tydu

National School (mixed), enlarged in 1886 to hold 140 children; average attendance, 101.
John Porter, master; Miss E. Parish & Miss E. Soderlund, assistant mistresses.

County Police, John Morris, constable in charge

PRIVATE
Allen Joseph, Brynhyfryd
Allen Richard, Ty-to-maen
Brain William Henry, J.P., Vaindre.hall
Cope Matthew, J.P. Quarry Hill house
Davies Amy (Mrs.), Wern-Fawr
Davis Mrs. Melrose hall
Jenkins Sydney Wallace, Greenfield court
Pringle Mrs
Rees Rev. Theophilus, vicarage
Shellard Henry Walter, Mill Farm house
Smith Alfred Thomas, bungalow
Williams George Crofts, J.P., Llanrumney Hall

COMMERCIAL.
Baker John, market gardener
Bowen Lewis, farmer, Cae Cobb
David William & Benjamin, farmers,Ty-Ishsa
David Evan, farmer, Derwen Bregog
David Evan, farmer & cattle dealer , Hondre
Davies Amy (Mrs.), farmer Wern-Fawr
Davies John, farmer, Cummins farm
Elias Daniel, farmer, Green, Meadow farm
Elstone Thomas, farmer
Evans Joseph, boot maker
Freegard Thos., farmer, Hendra Isaf
Gerrish Ann (Mrs.), farmer & butcher, Pen-las-can
Gerrish John, farmer & butcher
Harris Henry, farmer & assistant overseer, PwIl-y-plucca
Hollingshead George, grocer
Hughes John, farmer Llan-Rumney farm
Jenkins Richard, farm bailiff to James Thomas esq
Jones David, farmer, Vaindre-Fawr
Jones Edward, market gardener, Pentwyni,
Jones Leah (Mrs.), farmer, Bridge farm
Jones Mary, (Mrs.), farmer, Pen-y-peel
Jones Philip, wheelwright
Johns Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Jones Thomas, farmer, Pill-du
Jones Thomas, farmer, Ty-coch
Kelly James, farmer, Began farm
Lewis George, farmer, Goitre farm
Matthews Evan, farmer, Hendre-Fach
Mitchell Thomas, market gardener
Morgan David, beer retailer
Moses Edwin, cattle dealer, Tyn-y-fynon
Powell Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Tyla-Bach
Rees John, White Hart P.H.
Richards John, farmer, Hendra hall
Richards Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Pwll-coeh
Roberts Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Pwll-y-Biswael
Roberts Joseph, farmer, Wern-gethin
Roberts Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Tyn-y-Gollen
Rowland Charles, farmer, Pandy
Southwell Cardell Hy., Blue Bell P.H.
Thomas David, farmer, Towbridge-maur
Walkey Alfred, miller (water), Llanrumney mill
Walkey Elizabeth Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper & Post Office
Watkin Alfred, beer retailer
Williams Catherine (Mrs.) & Thomas, farmers, Maes-y-crocahn
Williams Elizabeth (Mrs.), blacksmith
Willmott Benjamin, coal merchant


dex