The church of St. Maughan is a small but ancient building of stone in the Early English style, restored in 1866, at the expense of the late J. E. W. Rolls esq. and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a small western tower with open wooden lantern containing one bell: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1733.
The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of'Llangattock-vibon-Avel with Llanfaenor, joint net yearly value £230, in the gift of Lord Llangattock, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Alexander Maclaverty M.A.of Christ Church, Oxford, who resides at Llangattock-vibon-Avel.
Hilston Park is the seat of James Graham esq., D.L., J.P.; the mansion is of stone in the Italian style, very pleasantly situated in a woody park of nearly 500 acres.
The Duke of Beaufort A.D.C. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Llangattock and James Graham esq. The soil is clayey; subsoil, marly clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and beans. The area is 1,322 acres of land and 6 of water. Rateable value, £1,147; the population in 1891 was 166.
Parish Clerk, James Jones.
Letters through Monmouth arrive at 8 a.m. Rockfield is the nearest post office, from which letters are dispatched at 5.45 p.m.
The Hendre, about 2½ miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
The children of this parish attend the Llangattock-vibon-Avel National school
Graham James, D.L., J.P., Hilston park
Graham Douglas William, J.P., Hilston park
Birde The Misses, farmers, Coxstone
Day Thomas Rymer, farmer, Black moor
Griffith William, farmer, White house
Hall Alfred, plasterer, Nant-y-gern
Harries John, farmer, Maypole
Howard John, blacksmith
Howells Richard, farmer, Church farm
Owens George, carpenter, Nunnery
Parry Cornelius, farmer, Carter's farm
Thomas William, farmer
Walters Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Green farm
Walters John, farmer, Coed Buchan