ST. BRIDE WENTLOOG
A high sea wall has been erected on the coast, to prevent the tide overflowing the district. The church of St. Bride Wentloog is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an unusually fine Perpendicular embattled western tower containing 6 bells, four of which are dated 1734 and bear inscriptions.
On the south wall of the church, within the porch, is the following inscription carved in freestone:-
The lowest part of the inscription, which marks the height to which the waters arrived is about five feet from the ground. A second inundation in 1708 covered the Level from Magor to Cardiff.
The church was restored and re-seated in 1900, and now affords 150 sittings. the register dates from the year 1733.
The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Coedkernew annexed, joint net yearly value £244, with 47 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and held since 1871 by the Rev. Watkin Davies, who resides at Coedkernew. Here are Congregational and Baptist chapels.
The Usk Lighthouse is built on the shore of the Bristol Channel south of this parish.
The principal landowners are Lord Tredegar, who is lord of the manor, Charles Theodore Halswell Kemeys-Tynte esq of Cefn Mably, Cardiff, and P. R. Phillips esq.
The soil is clayey; subsoil, the same. The land is chiefly meadow. The area is 1,910 acres of land, 2 of tidal water and 1,841 of foreshore; rateable value, £6,392; the population in 1891 was 241.
Parish Clerk: Thomas Jenkins
Post Office - Mrs. Annie Williams, sub-postmistress. Letters through Marshfield, via Cardiff, arrive at 9.30 a.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Castleton is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 4 miles distant.Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.30 p.m.
A School Board of 5 members was formed 16 July, 1877. Edward Baker, St. Brides, clerk to the board & attendance officer.
Board School (mixed), erected 1850; capacity, 70; average attendance, 35, William Griffith Stephens, master; Miss Eliza Ann Harding, mistress. The Board school is near the church.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids