Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.

BRYNGWYN


BRYNGWYN is a parish, on the high road from Monmouth to Abergavenny, 2 miles north-west from Raglan station, on the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and, Pontypool section of the Great Western railway, 9 west-south-west from Monmouth, and 6 from Usk, in the southern division of the county, Raglan hundred and petty sessional division, union of Abergavenny, county court district of Usk and in the rural deanery of Raglan, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The parish church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone, originally in the Early English style of the 13th century, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells, of which the tenor has the legend : " Ave Maria, gratiae plena" ; the second, "Deo detur gloria, Fear God; Honour the King, 1632 "; the third bell is inscribed, "Thomas Harry, churchwarden": there are 100 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1643, marriages, 1755. The living is a rectory, net yearly income, 150, with 40 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Abergavenny, and held since 1896 by the Rev. John Frederick Walwyn Trumper B.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The charities amount to 21 yearly, which is distributed in bread and money.

Extensive drainage of land has taken place within the last 50 years. A British camp, called "The Camp Hill," is in this parish, and there is an out-post connected with it at Wern-y-Cwrt.

The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Col. Ivor John Caradoc Herbert, C.B., C.M.G., of Llanarth Court, and William Reginald Joseph Fitzherbert Herbert esq. of Clytha Park. The soil gravel, and clay in parts; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are corn, hay and some roots. The area is 1,480 acres; rateable value, 1,729; the population in 1891 was 252.

Post Office: Mrs. Matilda Taylor, sub-postmistress.
Letters are received through Raglan, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, & arrive at 8.30 a.m., dispatched 4.45 p.m.
Wall Letter Boxes: Wern-y-Cwrt, cleared at 5.15 p.m., and Great Oak, cleared at 5 p.m.

Parochial School, built in 1872, for 52 children ; average attendance, 40.
Miss Alice Dowding, mistress

PRIVATE
Hamilton Mrs., Box bush
Trumper Rev. John Frederick Walwyn B.A. The Rectory

COMMERCIAL
Crawley Sophia (Miss), farmer, Oak farm
Griffiths Morgan, farmer & miller (water)
Hunt William, farmer, Cross-by-chan
Jeffreys Rosine Amelia (Mrs.), farmer, Chapel farm
Jones Philip, farmer
Mizen Earle James Herbert, farmer
Powell Frances (Mrs.), carpenter
Price Richard, farmer, Hendre farm
Richards Charles, farmer, High house
Summers, William, plasterer
Williams James, shopkeeper & plasterer
Williams Thomas, Red Lion P.H. and Tremynach farm
Williams William, farmer, Brynhyryd