Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
RUMNEY is a parish on the east bank of the river Rumney, on the road from Newport to Cardiff and the Glamorganshire border, 3 miles northwest from Cardiff, its nearest railway station, in the Southern division of the county, Wentloog hundred, petty sessional division and union of Newport, Cardiff county court district, rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.
The church of St. Augustine, restored in 1860, is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, with Decorated and Perpendicular insertions and additions, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 5 bells; there are sittings for 140 persons. The register dates from the year 1744.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £220, with residence and 40 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol, and held since 1900 by the Rev, David Joseph Davies B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. The rectorial tithes, amounting to £195 yearly, are held by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels.
The principal landowners are Col. Amelius R. M. Lockwood, of Bishop's Hall, Romford, Essex M.P, who is lord of the manor, Lord Tredegar and George Crofts Williams esq. of St. Mellons.
The soil is clayey and gravel; subsoil, stony. The chief crops are wheat, oats and pasture. The area is 2,106 acres of iand, 5 of water, 15 of tidal water and 1,502 of foreshore; rateable value, £8,651; the population in 1891 was 540.
Post Office.- Mrs. Sarah Ann Raybourne, sub-postmistress. Letters through Cardiff arrive at 6.15 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.
St. Mellons is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant. Wall Letter Box, cleared at 1.30, 5.0 & 7.0 p.m.; Sundays at 5.30 p.m.
A School Board of 5 members was formed 16 Feb. 1875; William Richards Davies, St. John's square, Cardiff, clerk to the board; Edwin Griffiths, Crwys road, Cardiff, attendance officer.
Board School (mixed), erected in 1875, at a cost of £1,000, enlarged in 1892 at a cost of over £1,000 & again in 1898, for 180 children; average attendance, 87; James Henry James, master.
Cubitt William, Rumney house
Davies Rev. David Joseph B.A., Vicarage
Edmunds Daniel, The Elms
England Richard, Rumney court
Galloway Prof. William, M.E., M.G., Poindgesta, Castlefield
Gunn John Edwin, Teedelerch
Heald Joseph, Oaklands
Heywood Henry J.P., Whitla court
Lewis Mrs., Highcroft
Wass Mrs., Fairfield
Buckingham Benjamin, farmer & dairyman, Penpill
Case Frederick, market gardener
Charles Wm., farmer, Church farm
Dunn James, market gardener
Evans David, farmer, Newton
Evans John, farm bailiff to G. C. Williams esq
Evans Thomas, agricultural implement agent, farmer & assistant overseer, Sunnybank
Ford John, market gardener
Gerrish William, butcher
Giles Brothers, potters
Giles Benjamin, Rompney Castle P.H
Harris Amy (Mrs.) shopkeeper
Herbert Thomas farmer, Trowbridge bach
Hughes Evan, farmer
James John, farmer, Newton
Jones Richard, Carpenters' Arms & Farmer
Pearce Joseph, baker
Prosser John, farmer & sheep dealer, Rose cottage
Rees Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer & wheelwright
Rees Lewis, farmer
Richards John, farmer & grocer
Stark Wm. Jas., farmer & dairyman
Thomas John, blacksmith
Thomas Rowland, farmer, Ty-to-Maen
Turberville Edward, farmer, Ty Mawr
Walker William Sidney, farmer
Walker William Stephen, farmer & dairyman, Whitehall farm
Ward William Stephen, dairyman
Williams Evan, farmer, Newton
Williams John, market gardener, Greenway vach