LLANVIHANGEL CRUCORNEY is a parish and village, on the road from Abergavenny to Hereford, in the valley between the Skirrid, or Holy Mountain, and the Black Mountain, 4½ miles north from Abergavenny and 20 south-west from Hereford, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Skenfreth, but mostly in the hundred of Abergavenny, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Abergavenny, rural deanery of Abergavenny (north-western division), archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff. There are two stations in this parish, on the Hereford and Abergavenny section of the Great Western railway, about 2½ ,miles apart, one called Llanvihangel station and the other Pandy station. The church of St. Michael is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave (rebuilt in 1835), south porch and an embattled western tower containing 2 bells: the church was restored and re-seated during the period 1876-91, at a cost of £850, and affords 200 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1678, marriages from 1678 & burials from 1629. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £161, with residence and 35 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Augustus Rickards Blundell, B.A., of Queen's College, Oxford. There are chapels for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists here and at Pandy, 2 miles north of the borders of Herefordshire.|
Llanvihangel Court, the property of Harley Rodney esq. and occupied by Col. Napier George Sturt J.P., is a fine mansion of the Tudor period with avenues of Scotch fir and Spanish chestnut. The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G., who is lord of the manor, Harley Rodney esq. and Jeremiah Lilburn Rosher esq. of Abergavenny, are the principal landowners.
The soil is light loam; subsoil, gravel. The land is chiefly in pasture. The area is 3,268 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £7,071. The population in 1891 was 508.
PEN-BIDDLE is a hamlet in Llanvihangel Crucorney parish, half a mile south from Pandy station.
Parish Clerk, Charles Caldecott.
Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Llanvihangel.- Alfred John Watkins, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Abergavenny at 7.10 a.m.; dispatched at 4.25 p.m.
Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Pandy.- Henry Parry, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Abergavenny at 7.45 a.m. & dispatched at 3.45 p.m. Nearest telegraph office, Llanvihangel, 2 miles distant
National School, erected in 1870, for 113 children; average attendance, 77; Thomas Parker, master
Attwood Llewellyn Foulkes, J.P., TyDerlwyn
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids