Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - ROGGIETT
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
ROGGIETT
ROGGIETT (Severn Tunnel Junction station on the Great Western Railway South Wales line) is a parish on the shore of the Bristol Channel 7 miles south-west from Chepstow, and I42 from London, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Caldicot, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Chepstow, rural deanery of Netherwent, archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.

The church is an ancient building of stone presenting several, features of interest, consisting of an unusually large chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower with a peculiar octagonal pinnacle at one corner, and containing one bell. A considerable portion of the fabric belongs to the Decorated period, but there are traces of Early English work. The font is curious, and there are remains of the stairs to the ancient rood loft. The church has 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1750.

The living is a rectory, with the rectories of Ifton and Llanvihangel annexed, joint net yearly income 360, with 114 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Tredegar, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Alfred George Morris B.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, who resides at Ifton.

There is a Wesleyan Mission Room where services are held on Sunday afternoons. Lord Tredegar is lord of the manor and principal landowner. A fair for cattle, sheep and pigs is held here every first and third Monday of the month. The soil is sandy loam; pasture and moor land is clay, but very good, and some peat; subsoil, various - limestone on the upper part. The chief crops are corn, but there is much pasture land and considerable woods. The area is 1,041 acres of land, 1 acre of water and 2,334 acres of foreshore; rateable value, 3,983. The population in 1891 was 100.

Post Office. - Mrs. Lucy Tinham, sub-postmistress. Letters through Chepstow arrive at 8.50 a.m.; dispatched, 5.30 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Caldicot, 3 miles distant. Wall Letter Box at Station cleared 5.25 p.m.

Railway Station, Severn Tunnel Junction. Thomas Strange, station master

National School, built in 1887 & rebuilt in 1894 for 100 children; average attendance, 65 ; Miss Margaret Boyer, mistress; Miss Mary Anthony, assistant mistress,

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Baker Mrs., Manor house
Francombe Courtney James, Hastings villa
Peacock Thomas Kirk, Sunnybank
Strange Thomas, Wyesham villa

COMMERCIAL
Baker Mrs. farmer, Manor house
Cartwright Joseph, baker & corn merchant
Edwards Ebenezer, farmer
Edwards Edward, grocer
Godin George, cycle agent, Severn Tunnel junction
Harris Thomas (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Holmes George, blacksmith & shoeing smith
Morgan James Roggiett Hotel
Tinham Lucy (Mrs.), post office


dex