Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901

Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
GRIFFITHSTOWN

including
SEBASTOPOL and references to PANTEG

GRIFFITHSTOWN is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in May, 1898, from Llanfrechfa Upper and Panteg, and includes Sebastopol, but under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894," became a separate civil parish, and is governed by the Urban District Council of Panteg, and has a station on the Eastern Valleys branch .of the Great Western railway from Newport to Blaenavon, one mile from Pontypool, and 159½ from London.

It is in the Northern division of the county, Usk hundred, Pontypool union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Usk, and archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The Brecon and Monmouthshire Canal runs through the parish.

The church of St. Hilda, built in 1887, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and south porch; it contains a memorial window, the gift of I. Butler esq. J.P. and has 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1898. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1898 by the Rev. James Edwin Dunn, of St. David's College, Lampeter, who resides at Sebastopol. There is a parish room, built in 1895. The Baptist chapel, erected in 1875, seats 400 persons, and the Congregational chapel, built in 1885, seats 350: there are also chapels for the Wesleyans and Plymouth Brethren, and a Congregational chapel at Sebastopol, built in 1893.

The Mechanics' Institute was erected in 1874 at a cost of about £750, for the use of the workpeople of the Great Western Railway Company; a limited number of the public are also permitted to make use of the institute, which is in part supported by an annual grant from the company; attached to the institute is a small library of 1,000 volumes, and there is also a recreation ground.

Panteg Fire Brigade station was erected in 1898, at a cost of £200, by the Panteg Urban District Council; the brigade consists of a captain and 12 firemen. The County Police Station, Broad street, was erected in 1892.

The workhouse of the Pontypool union, which stands in Griffithstown, is a building of stone, erected in 1837, and enlarged in 1900; and there are also cottage homes, erected in 1881, and giving shelter to about 325 inmates.

Here also are the head quarters of No. 3 Battery, the 1st Volunteer Artillery, Western division, Royal Artillery.

The population in 1891 was 2,022; the rateable value is£8,522.

Post, M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, 66 Commercial street. - Francis Edward Jenkins, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive from -Newport at 7.45 & 9.55 a.m. & 4.45 p.m. ; dispatched at 11.30 a.m. & 6 & 7.30 p.m., week days only

Post & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Sebastopol. - Edward Charles Francis, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive from Newport at 7.50 & 10 a.m. (callers only) & 5 p.m.; dispatched, 11.10 a.m. & 5.50 & 7.30 p.m. week days only. The nearest telegraph office is at Griffithstown, 1 mile distant

Wall Letter Boxes:-
High street, cleared at 11a.m. & 5.5 & 7.5 p.m.
Kemys street, 10.20 a.m. & 4.40 & 7.25 p.m.
Staffordshire row, 10.45 a.m. & 5 & 7.15 p.m.

Pontypool Union Workhouse. Rev. James Edwin Dunn, hon. chaplain; John 0,'Keefe, medical officer; John Richards, master; Mrs. Eleanor Richards, matron.

County Police Station, Charles Hathersall, constable

PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services.

St. Hilda's church, Rev. James Edwin Dunn, vicar; 8 & 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. ; daily, 10.30 a.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m
Baptist, Commercial street, Rev. John Howell Rees; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; tues. 7.30 p.m.
Congregational, Kemys street, Rev. William Whittington; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; wed. 7.30 p.m
Congregational, Sebastopol, Rev. Eber Davies; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m
Wesleyan, Commercial street; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; tues. & fri. 7.30 p.m.
Plymouth Brethren, Hill street; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; tues. & thurs. 7.30 p.m

Schools
A School Board of five members was formed Feb. 1895 ; William Henry Vipond Bythway, Hanbury road, Pontypool, clerk to the board, William Barrett, 27 Bridge st., Griffithstown, attendance officer.
Board Park street (mixed), erected in 1874, for 300 boys & girls; average attendance, 288; William Jacobs, master
Board (infants), Oxford street, erected in 1887 for 125 infants; average attendance, 120; Mrs. A. C. M. Loveless, mistress.
National (mixed), Sebastopol, built in 1861, for 350 children ; average attendance, 330 ; Alfred Glover, master; Mrs. K. G. Biggs, infants' mistress.

Railway Station, James Frank Ernest Harris, station master.

Bell Mrs., The Cedars, Church road
Butler Isaac, J.P., Panteg house
Emanuel Jas., Sunnybank, Church road
Greener Mrs. Fairwood lod., Church road
Griffiths Henry, 75 Commercial st
O'Keeffe John, Glengariff, Church road
Rees Rev. John Howell (Baptist), Maesybryn, Church road
Sandbrook William, The Greenway
Whittington Rev. William (Congregational), Dolgwyddfa, Church road
Williams David Ellis, Kemysfach house
Williams Hopkin Henry, Kemysfach, Church road
Williams Thomas, Park view. Church road

COMMERCIAL
Austin Sarah (Mrs.), confectioner, 7 Commercial street
Barber Wm. beer retailer, Coedygric
Barrett William, shopkeeper & school attendance officer, 27 Bridge street
Berry Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper & beer retailer, 1 Kemys Street
Blake Richard Henry, boot & shoe maker, 3 Commercial street
Bowen Benjamin Charles, tailor, 57 Broad street
Boyt John Jas. painter, 2 Picton Street
Callow Sidney, hair dresser, 30 Broad st
Collier Ann Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 1 Kemys street
Cooke Wm. shopkeeper, 1 High street
Daniel Jn. & Son, grocers, 1 Bridge st
Davies Geo. Hy., shopkeeper, 7 High st
Dowding John, shopkeeper, 15 Broad st
Dunn Rev. James Edwin, girls' school, Kemys street
Edmunds & James, grocers & patent medicine vendors, 97 Commercial st
Evans William, tailor, 23 Broad street
Fairfax John, butcher, Oxford street
Fisher Ann (Mrs.), shopkpr. Oxford st
Freegard Worthy, grocer & ale & porter merchant & bottler, 9 Kemys st
Griffin Edgar, butcher, 30 Commercial street
Griffiths Brothers, drapers, 94 Commercial street
Griffiths Elizabeth (Mrs.), apartments, Charles street
Griffiths Harold, insurance agent, 75 Commercial street
Griffiths Harry Dunstan, commission agent, 49 Commercial street
Hales William, householder, Clive house, Church road
Hall James, wagon inspector G.W.R., Fair View terrace, Staffordshire row
Harris William, china & glass dealer, Windsor road
Haslett Robert Woods, B.A., M.B., B.Ch., & B.A.O., R.U.I., surgeon & certifying factory surgeon, 32 Commercial street; attends mon. wed. & fri.; & at Pontypool.
Hobbs Jas., shoe maker, High street
Hyett Herbt. hair dresser, 2 Commercial street
James Arthur, clerk, Cartref, Church road
Jarrett Charles, clerk, Trostra villa, Church road
Jenkins Francis Edward, draper, stationer & post office, 66 Commercial st
Jenkins William, butcher, 37 Broad st
Jones Emma (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 37 Oxford street
Jones Frederick Lewis, oil & earthenware dealer, 1 Commercial street
Jones Geo. Wm., grocer, 59 Commercial street
Jones Henry, stone mason, Hillesdon, Church road
Jones John, grocer, 15 Kemys street
Jones Lewis, flannel manufacturer, Hill street
Jones Oscar Edgar, butcher, 6 High st
Knipe Charles, farmer, Coedygric
Knipe, Hannah (Mrs.), market gardener, Cwrdy farm
Knipe Henry, farmer, Ash Tree house, Church road, & butcher, Bridge st
Lewis John, painter & paperhanger, 9 Bridge st
Lewis Thomas, inspector of weights & measures, Fernleigh, Church road
Lindsay Thos., shopkeeper, Staffordshire row
Loveless Annie (Mrs.), confectioner, 7 Kemys street
Marler Walter S. commercial traveller, Bridge street
Matthews Thos., shopkeeper, 1 Clifton square
May Rosannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper, High st
Mechanics Institute (Wm.Hy. Roberts, sec.), Commercial street
Monmouthshire (1st) Volunteer Artillery, Western Division, Royal Artillery (No. 3 Battery; Capt. & Hon. Major, D. E. Williams), Kemys st
Moore Daniel, shopkeeper, 8 Commercial st
Morgan John, shopkeeper, 25 Bridge st
Murphy Dr. William Edward Cavanagh, M.B. & Ch.B.(Dub.), L.M. (firm, O'Keeffe & Murphy), surgeon, medical officer of health to the Llanfrechfa Upper & Llantarnam Urban District Councils, medical officer & public vaccinator, Llantarnam district, Newport union, & certifying factory surgeon, Church road.
O'Keeffe & Murphy, surgeons & physicians, Church road
O'Keefle Dr. John, L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.(Edin.), (firm, O'Keeffe & Murphy), medical officer & public vaccinator, Panteg district of Pontypool, union & medical officer to the Workhouse, Church road.
Panteg Fire Brigade (James Wallace, captain), Kemys street
Peach Henry, grocer & draper, 65 Commercial street
Pritchard John, householder, Brynderwen, Church road
Richardson Edward, coal inspector G.W.R., Gilvach place, Church road
Roberts Wm. Hy., clerk, 91 Commercial street
Sewell Thomas, clerk, Hillside villa, Church road
Shenton Martha (Mrs.), Hanbury hotel, High street
Sumner William Frederick, boot & shoe & coal dealer, 80 Commercial street
Thomas Herbert James, grocer & baker, Windsor road
Traves John, grocer, 6 Kemys street
Upton Elizabeth (Mrs.), apartments, Church road
Wallace James, collector of the Queen's taxes, assistant overseer & surveyor to Panteg Urban District Council, Church road.
Williams Caroline, (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 85 Commercial street
Williams John, farmer & dairyman, Cwrdy house
Williams Thomas, clerk to Panteg Urban District Council, Park view, Church road

SEBASTOPOL

Davies Rev. Eber (Congregational)
Dunn Rev. James Edwin (vicar of St. Hilda's, Griffithstown)
Jacob George Jas., Pontrhydyrun house

COMMERCIAL
Davies Alfred, draper
Everson Thomas, shopkeeper
Francis Edward Charles, florist & shopkeeper, Post office
Gwatkin Edwin A., butcher
Jenkins J. Bazil, grocer
Jenkins Wm. John, grocer & baker
Meek Thomas, beer retailer
Moses Fredk. Augustus, Old Crown P.H
Powell Joshua, grocer & beer retailer
Rowland Charles, Panteg P.H
Rowlands Tamplin, beer retailer
Smith Joseph, shopkeeper
Spencer George, shopkeeper
Spencer Rosetta (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Upham William, boot & shoe maker
Walters John, clerk, Kemys vawr
Watmore Ellen (Mrs.), shopkeeper