The church of St. John the Baptist, standing close to Penhow Castle, is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, and was restored and the chancel entirely rebuilt in the year 1851; it consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and a tower containing 5 bells : there is a large and ancient font: there are 150 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1725; marriages 1751.
The living is a rectory, net income £136, with about 30 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs. Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor park, Leicestershire, and held since 1886 by the Rev. John Ward.
The principal landowners are Mrs. Perry-Herrick, who is lady of the manor, the Duke of Beaufort and Williarn Henry Phillips Jenkins esq. of St. Pierre, Chepstow.
The soil is tolerably good, but in some places shallow; subsoil, stony and sandy. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,784 acres; rateable value, £1,482; the population in 1881 was 242.
Parish Clerk, George Williams.
Post, M.O. & T.O., T. M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - Arthur John Richards, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Newport via Magor at 8.35 a.m. & dispatched at 5.15 p.m. week days only.
There is a National School for this & the adjoining parishes of Llanvaches & St. Bride Netherwent, in the last mentioned parish; also a Sunday school.
Police Station, Matthew Stead, chief constable