The parish church (dedication unknown) is an ancient building, of stone, standing on the side of a hill looking down upon the river Wye, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and western tower, containing 4 bells, one of which is dated 1660: the church was restored in 1885, and contains many mural tablets and floor stones, and a hagioscope: there are 180 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1779, marriages, 1765.
The living is a vicarage separated from Trellech in 1887, net yearly value £113, with 28 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Reginald Philip Goldney B.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. In 1888 a vicarage house was erected at a cost of £1,200 by the late Richard Potter esq. St. Mary's, a chapel of ease to the parish church, erected in the year 1869, is a small building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave and a.western turret containing one small bell. The Baptist chapel was erected in 1858, and the Primitive Methodist chapel in 1864.
A Quaint Custom: On the road leading to the church, and some 1 mile distant therefrom, is a large and ancient oak, at the foot of which is a stone seat or bench, and it was formerly the custom when a funeral passed this way for the corpse to be rested on this seat while the mourners and others stood around singing a psalm: the practice of resting the corpse there is still observed.
The Argoed is the residence of Kyrle Mitford Chatfield esq. M.A. The Duke of Beaufort A.D.C. who is lord of the manor, Thomas Gilbert Prosser esq. of Monmouth, the Rev. William Bagnall-Oakeley M.A. of Newland, Coleford, and Arthur Burgham esq. of Redbrook, are the principal landowners.
The soil is sandy, with some clay; subsoil, old red sandstone. The chief crops are barley, oats, potatoes and turnips. Cider is made from apples grown in the district. The area is 2,351 acres of land and 24 of water; rateable value £1,979; the population in 1891 was 420.
Post Office.- James Williams, sub-postmaster. Letters through Monmouth arrive at 8 a.m.; box cleared, 4 p.m. winter & 5 p.m. summer. Postal orders, are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Redbrook
Parochial Endowed School, Pentwyn, endowed with land, now producing £6, by Rev. Zachariah Babington, vicar of Trellech in 1689, built in 1834 for 68 children, with class-room added in 1890 for 35 infants; average attendance, 36; Miss Margaret Mitchell, mistress.