Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
NASH is a parish at the mouth of the Usk river and on the coast of the Bristol Channel, 5 miles southeast from Newport station, on the Great Western Railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Caldicot, Newport petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Caerleon, archdeaconry of Monmouth, and diocese of Llandaff.
The church of St. Mary is an ancient structure of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and a tower with fine spire, containing 5 bells; the tower was restored in 1898. There are 200 Sittings. The register dates from the year 1733.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £80, with 1¾ acres of glebe, in the gift of Eton College, and held since 1897 by the Rev. David Arthur Lewis B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, who resides at Newport. There is a Baptist chapel at Pye Corner.
Lord Tredegar, who is lord of the manor, Eton College, and St. John Knox Rickards Phillips esq. of Whitson, are chief landowners. The soil is gravelly; subsoil, rock. The land is chiefly in grass. The area is 2,721 acres of land, 10 of tidal water and 3,518 of foreshore; rateable value, £4,401; the population in 1891 was 273.
Parish Clerk: John Waters.
Post Office: William German, sub-postmaster. Letters through Newport arrive at 7.30a.m.; dispatched at 5.30p.m. Postal orders issued, but not paid. Maindee is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 4 miles distant
National School (mixed), built in 1877, for 58 children; average attendance, 43; Samuel Tutt, master
Morgan Mrs. Greenfield
Morgan Mrs. The Elms
Tritton Rev. C. W. (Baptist)
Wilcox Esther (Miss), Decoy Pool
Adams Edwin, frmr.Broad St.common
Ashfield Wm. Henry, farmer, Picked la
Baker George, farmer, Red house
Ball Samuel, farmer, Red House farm
Bayley Wm. farmer, Decoy Pool farm
Collett Walter, farmer, Fair Orchard
German William, blacksmith & wheelwright, Pye corner
Hale John, farmer, Cold Harbour
Hayward John, farmer, Cross farm
Hicks William,dairy farmer, Pye cornr
Jones Charles, farmer, Typortha
Jones Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Tatton
Jones Sarah (Mrs.), Waterloo inn
Jones Thomas, farmer, Farmfield
Jones Thomas, farmer, Tydee farm
Jones William, farmer, Chapel farm
Jones William Henry, farmer & assistant overseer, Great house
Jones Wynham, farmer, Common house
Morgan Wm., farmer, Little Common frm
Skuse John, shopkeepr, Broad street. Common
Stead Caleb Francis, farmer, Moorbarn farm
Tamplin Edward Wm. butcher, Box cottage
Thomas David, farm bailiff to Mr. James Thomas, Pye Corner farm
Waters Hannah(Mrs.), farmer, Church farm
Waters Joseph, farmer, Burnt house
Watkins John, butcher
Webb Evan Thos., farmer, Old house
Williams Lewis, mason, Ash cottage
Williams Thomas, farmer, Fish house