Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - MONKSWOOD
Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
MONKSWOOD
MONKSWOOD, also known as Monkswood Chapel, is a parish on the western bank of the Usk River and on the road from Usk to Pontypool, 2 miles north-west-by-west from Usk station on the Monmouth and Pontypool Road section of the Great Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division and county court district of Usk, union of Pontypool, rural deanery of Usk, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The church is a small building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave and a western belfry containing 2 bells : the church was entirely rebuilt in 1883-4, at a cost of 1,038, in the Early English style, from plans furnished by Mr. E. Lingen-Barker, of Hereford, the chief contributors to the outlay being Miss E. A. Stokes, of Cheltenham, and the Duke of Beaufort : there are 140 sittings. The register dates from the year 1783.

The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value 74, including glebe, (63) without residence, in the gift of trustees for the late Marquess of Bute, and held since 1893 bv the Rev. Percy Louis Charles Nash B.A. of Hatfield Hall, Durham University, who is also vicar of and resides at Usk.

The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor and the trustees of the late Marquess of Bute are the principal landowners. The soil is silurian; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are grain and roots; there is a great deal of wood. The area is 1,109 acres of land and 17 of water; rateable value, 932; the population in 1891 was 119.

Jeremiah, William, Parish Clerk

Letters through Pontypool, arrive at 8.45 a.m.; the nearest money order & telegraph office is at Usk, 2 miles distant. The nearest Wall Letter Box is at Glascoed, cleared at 5.10 p.m.

This place is included in the Llanbaddock, Monkswood & Glascoed United School Board district, formed 27 May, 1879. A sundav school is still held in the school room,

COMMERCIAL
Crump Nabor, farmer, Little Estavarney (letters through Usk)
Crump Thomas, farmer, Burnt house
Gibbon James, haulier
Gunter John, Beaufort Arms P.H.
Knipe William & Henry Chas., farmers, Pantapudding farm
Howell John, farmer, Wood farm
Perrott John, market gardener
Stinchcombe Henry, farmer, Chapel farm
Wilks William, blacksmith


dex