Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
MICHAELSTONE-Y-VEDW, or Llanvihangel-y-vedw, is a parish partly in Glamorganshire and part ly in this county, on the river Rumney, which is not navigable; the Monmouthshire side of the parish stands upon rising ground and is bounded on the west by the river Rumney, which separates the two counties; the village is 2 miles North-west from Marshfield station on .the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, and 5¼ west-south-west from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Wentlloog, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Newport, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, transept and embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells: the chancel is in the Gothic style of the 13th century, but the nave and tower are of later date: the transept is the ancient burying-place of the Kemeys family: the old font is sculptured with a figure of the patron saint treading on the serpent: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year1661. The living: is a rectory, net yearly value £305, with 18 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of C. T. Halswell Kemeys-Tynte esq. and held since 1893 by the Rev. John Williams Evans M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, and rural dean of Newport. There is a Baptist chapel in the parish. Lord Tredegar is lord of the manor of Michaelston and the trustees of the late Marquess of Bute (d. 900) are lords of the manor of Llanvedw. The Principal landowners are Lord Tredegar and Charles Theodore Halswell Kemeys-Tynte esq. of Cefn Mably. The soil is sandy loam; subsoil, stony clay. The crops are the usual cereals. The area of Michaelstone-y-Vedw is 1,083 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £1,219; the population in 1891 was 198.
Llanvedw, Glamorganshire, a hamlet in this civil parish will be found in the South Wales Directory.
Post & T.O., Joseph Spooner, sub-postmaster. Letters by mail cart from Cardiff, arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.35 p.m. Postal orders are issued here but not paid. The nearest money order office is Castleton. Wall Letter Box, near The Cefn Mably Arms cleared at 6 p.m., not sundays.
Endowed School (mixed), erected in 1826, with residence for mistress, for 80 children; average attendance 44. The school was founded & endowed by a former rector, the Rev. Dr. Tate, for all the children in the parish, free of charge; the income is about £62 yearly. Mrs. Ellen Pitt, mistress.
Cory Herbert Beynon, J.P., Druid stone (letters through St. Mellons)
Evans Rev. John Williams M.A. (rector & rural dean), Rectory
Reeves Rev. Thomas (Baptist)
Bishop Edward, grocer
Culverwell Robert, blacksmith
Jones Daniel, farmer, Ty Hyr
Emerson Ann (Mrs.), farmer, Fairwater farm
Jones Thomas, farmer, Nant-y-Yehan
Rowland Wm. farmer, Woodvale house
Kelly Henry George, Cefn Mably Arms P.H. farmer & cattle dealer
Seys Chas. farmer, Lower Pantrhiw-goch
Spooner Joseph, Post office
Thomas William, farmer, Clearwell farm
Williams Mertgan, farmer & cattle dealer, Home farm
Williams William Rhys, farmer, Upper Pantrhiw-goch