Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - MARSHFIELD

Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.

MARSHFIELD


MARSHFIELD, otherwise St. Mary's Field, is a parish on the Cardiff and Newport road, with a station (in the parish of Peterstone), 1 miles south-east from the village on the Great Western (South Wales) railway, 6 miles south-east from Cardiff, 1 miles from the Bristol Channel, 150 miles from London and 5 south-west from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Wentloog, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Newport, Archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.

The parish is intersected by the rivers Usk, the Ebbw and the Rumney. The Usk is navigable as far as the ancient city of Caerleon. The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone in Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, south porch and a lofty tower with spire containing 6 bells: the restoration of the church, begun in 1867, has been since continued. In 1883 the chancel floor was relaid, and a reredos erected by Capt. Ferdinand Walker: an organ has been placed in a new chamber on the north side of the chancel: the south porch is entered through a fine Norman arch: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1656.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 205, including 35 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The Baptist chapel was erected in 1853 at a cost of 2,000, and will seat 700 persons. The Wesleyan chapel is a stone building in the Decorated style, erected in 1854 at a cost of about 2,000, with sittings for about 200 persons. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel to seat about 150 persons.

Craig-yr-haul, the residence of Colonel Frederick John Justice;Wentloog Castle, the residence of Sir George Ferdinand Forestier-Walker bart., D.L., J.P.; Bryn-Ivor Hall, the residence of John Wyndham Beynon esq. and Llwynarthan, the residence of Franklen George Evans esq. J.P. are the principal mansions in this parish.

Lord Tredegar, who is lord of the manor, Charles Theodore Halswell Kemeys-Tynte esq. of Cefn Mably, Cardiff, and J. H. Stubbs esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, roots and pasture. The area is 1,271 acres of land and 2 of water; rateable value, 2,517; the population in 1891 was 564.

Parish Clerk, William Morgan.

Post Office, Castleton: Edward Cosslett, sub-postmaster. M.O. &, T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. Letters through Cardiff, arrive at 7.10 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.; dispatched at 3 & 6 p.m.
Post Office, Blacktown: Mrs. Fanny Jones, sub-post. mistress. Letters through Cardiff arrive 7.5 a.m., dispatched at 5.35 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Castleton is the nearest money order telegraph office
Wall Letter Box at Cross roads, cleared at 5.15 p.m., week days only.

National School (mixed), erected, with masters residence, in 1861, at a cost of 1,500, for 100 children; average attendance, 70; William Thomas, master; Miss Gwendoline Harris, mistress

Railway Station, Walter Treharne, station master

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Beynon John Wyndham, Bryn Ivor hall
Bishop Rev. Arthur Edwin (Baptist)
Evans Franklen Geo., J.P., F.R.A.S., F.R.Met.Soc., Llwynarthen
Forestier-Walker Sir George Ferdinand bart. D.L., J.P. Wentloog Castle
Forestier-Walker Rowland
Harding Rev. Gower (Congregational)
Jones Rev, Robert (curate)
Justice Col. Fredk. Jn. Craig-yr-Haul
Nichol George, The Lodge
Price, Miss
Price Thomas Jones, New Park house
Rolls Edgar, Ty-coch
Williams Howell, The Elms

COMMERCIAL.
Baker David, farmer, Groes farm
Baker Matthew, baker
Bevan Jessie, market gardener & assistant overseer
Chappell Henry, baker
Cosslett Edward, blacksmith & post office, Castleton
Edwards Stephen, butcher
Edwards William, market gardener
Evans Edmund, cooper
Evans Edward, market gardener, Lower Pentwyn
Fursey & Harris,carpenters & builders, Castleton
Gatehouse Sidney, beer retailer
Griffiths Rachel (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Harris William, mason
House John, beer retailer
Jones Ann (Miss), farmer, Reubina farm
Jones Frederick, farmer & cattle dealer, Ty Mawr
Jones Jane (Mrs.), Angel inn & grocer, Castleton
Jones James, baker
Jones, Thomas, Market gardener, Castleton
Jones, Thomas, farmer, Well House farm
Jones Thomas Davies, farmer, Court farm
Jones Watkin, farmer, Blacktown
Jones William, butcher & farmer
Kendall Edward Ambrose, tailor, Castleton
Kyte Jenevus J. boot & shoe maker, Pen-y-cae
Lawrence & Staley, grocers & drapers, Castleton
Morgan Edward. farmer, Spring court
Morgan Thomas, farmer, Lower house
Morgan Thomas, farmer & butcher, Blacktown
Morgan Wm., market gardener, Castleton
Parsons James, farmer, Gelly Bear
Parsons Mark, Coach & Horses P.H. & wheelwright, Castleton
Pretty David, market gardener
Roberts Eleanor (Mrs.), farmer, New house
Robinson Joseph, farmer
Samuel Rachel (Mrs.), market gardener
Shoppard Samuel, saddler, Castleton
Sydenham Charles, market gardener, Gwaunllwydd
Tucker John, coffee tavern, Castleton
Williams Evan, market gardener