Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
MAMHILAD is a parish on the road from Pontypool to Abergavenny, one mile north-west from Little Mill station on the Coleford, Usk, Monmouth and Pontypool branch of the Great Western railway, 3¼ miles north-east from Pontvpool and 5 north-west-by-west from Usk, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Abergavenny, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Pontypool, rural deanery of Usk, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.
The Brecon and Monmouthshire canal runs through the parish from north to south.
The church is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western bell turret, containing 2 bells; it was restored about 1875, and affords 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1682.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value £95, including 20 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Christopher Cook, of Lampeter College, who is also rector of Llanvihangel-Pont-y-Moile.
The Marquess of Abergavenny KG, who is lord of the manor, George T. Nicholl esq. and John Capel. Hanbury esq. of Pontypool, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay, subsoil, marl. The chief crops are potatoes, wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,021 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £2,676; the population in 1891 was 322, including 35 in the Reformatory.
Parish Clerk, John Evans.
Post office: Thomas Wall, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Pontypool at 7.15 a.m., dispatched at 5.45 p.m.; no dispatch on sundays. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order office is at Pontymoyle & telegraph office at Pontypool, 4 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, Little Mill, cleared at 5.10 p.m. week days only.
Board School (Llanvihangel-Pontymoile & Mamhilad united district) (mixed), built in 1856 for 90 children; average attendance, 24; Thomas Wall, master.
The Monmouthshire Reformatory, Little Mill, comprises a school & a small farm, purchased by voluntary subscription & vested in trustees; in Februrary, 1859, it was certified by Government & the school was opened for boys, who are sentenced by magistrates to a term of from two to five years of compulsory detention in a reformatory; a school room & superintendent's room, with dormitory over, was added in 1881; it now holds 35 boys.
Frederick G. W. Chalklen, hon. sec.
Donald Fludyer Boulton, Usk, surgeon.
Edwin Bilcliffe, superintendent.
Mrs. Bilcliffe, matron.
Charles Merrick, schoolmaster.
Henry Helme, labour master.
Cook Rev. Christopher, (rector), Rectory
Lewis Mrs. Mulberry house, Little Mill
Bilcliffe Edwin, supt. of the Monmouthshire Reformatory, Little Mill
Court Charles, horse slaughterer
Gowles Herbert, Star P.H.
Crowe Wm. miller (water), Little Mill
Davies Arthur, farmer, Troedyrhiew
Davies Edward George, farmer
Ellement George, gamekeeper to J. C. Hanbury esq. D.L., J.P
Evans E. & Son, coach builders,blacksmiths, carpenters & wheelwrights, Little Mill
Evans John, farmer, Great house
Farr William, carpenter & wheelwright, Little Mill
Jenkins Mary, Louisa & Kate (Misses), farmers, Tredomen
Jenkins John, Horseshoe P.H
Jenkins William, farmer, Pentwyn & Fir Trees
Jones William, farmer, Brook farm
Matthews John, farmer, Cider mill
Matthews Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Monmouthshire Reformatory (Edwin Bilcliffe, supt.), Little Mill
Morgan Philip, farmer
Newman Wm. grazier, Bailey glass
Nicholas Elijah, farmer, Green meadow
Perry William, farmer, Coedhowel
Phillips Abraham, farmer & dairyman, Lower house
Phillips Chas. farmer, New buildings
Pritchard Cornelius, farmer, Little Tyrewen
Thomas William, farmer, Tyisha
Waters Charles, farmer, Pentre
Wheeler George, farmer
Wilks, John & Son, brass & iron founders, engineers & machinists, Little Mill. Telegraphic address, "Wilks, Little Mill, Nantyderry".
Williams Abraham, Halfway House P.H. brewer & farmer, Little Mill
Williams Alfred Major, grazr., Brynderwen