MAGOR is a parish, with a station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, 149½ miles from London, and 8 east from Newport, in the Southern division of the county, Caldicot hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Netherwent, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff.
The church of St. Mary the Virgin, restored in 1868, is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, quasi-transepts, south porch and a tower containing 6 bells and clock: there are 400 sittings, 100 being free. The register dates from the year 1709.
The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Redwick annexed, joint net income £272, with 96 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Benjamin Birbeck, of St. Bees. Here is a Baptist chapel to hold 300. Lord Tredegar, who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor Park, Leicestershire, Mrs. Way, Mrs. England and St. John Knox Rickards Phillips esq. of Whitson Court, are the principal landowners.
The soil is marshy; subsoil, clayey. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots and grass land. The area is 1,901 acres of land and 667 of foreshore; rateable value, £4,966 ; the population in 1891 was 445.
Parish Clerk, William Edwards.
Post, M.O. & T.O., T. M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.
James Griffitlis, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive from Newport at 7 a.m., dispatched at 4.40 & 7.30 p.m.
MAGOR RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
The district comprises the following parishes:-
Bishton, Christcuurch, Goldcliff, Kemeys Inferior, Llandavenny, Llangattock, Llangstone, Llanhennock, Llanmartin, Llanvaches, Llanwern, Magor, Nash, Penhow, Redwick, Tredunnock, Whitson & Wilcrick.
Rateable value in 1900, £51,673.
The Council meets at the Board Room, Queen's hill, Newport, on the second Wednesday in every month at 2.30 p.m.
Chairman, Thomas Dntfield, The Laurels, Magor, Newport.
Clerk, John Powell, Queen's hill, Newport.
Treasurer, Edwin Webber, National Provincial Bank, Newport
Medical Officer of Health, Walter Evelyn James L.R.C.P.(London), Abercarn house, Abercarn.
Highway Surveyors & Sanitary Inspectors, Charles Dutfield, Magor & Samuel Baker Jones, Talgarth, Llavaches, Newport.
National School (mixed), built in 1857, for 120 children, &enlarged in 1890 to hold 150 children; average attendance, 100.
Joseph Holt, master; Miss Florence Taylor, mistress
Railway Station, Frederick Samuel Ruxton, station master
Birbeck Rev. Benjamin, (vicar of Magor & Redwick), The Vicarage
Duckham Miss, Rose cottage
Dutfield Miss, Magor house
Dutfield Thomas, The Laurels
Gaskell Mrs. The Lawn
George Rev. John (Baptist)
Kennard Duglis Fredk., L.R.C.P.(Edin.)
Adams Frank, wheelwright
Adams Thomas H., cooper
Adams Thomas Hoxford, jun., tailor
Adams William, builder
Allen Henry, blacksmith & ironmonger
Baker Arthur Robert, Golden Lion inn & butcher
Baker Stephen Leonard, farmer, Low Grange farm
Barrows Thomas William, commercial traveller, Summerlay
Brown James, farmer
Corben & Kennard, physicians &surgeons
Duckham Charles, jun., farmer, Salisbury farm
Dutfield Charles, road surveyor to Magor Rural District Council
Edwards Margaret (Mrs.), farmer
Gough John & Wm., farmers, Pill farm
Griffiths James, grocer & draper, & post office
Blunt Thos., carpenter & wheelwright
Jenkins James, farmer & assistnt.overseer
Jenkins Philip, farmer,Upper Grange farm
Jones Stephen, farmer
Jones William Henry, baker & farmer, Whitewall
Jones William Henry, coal merchant, New found out
Jones William Henry, farmer, Whitewall
Kennard Duglis Frederick L.R.C.P. & L.R.C.S.Edin., L.F.P.&S.(Glas.), physician & surgeon
Lewis Richard, farmer, Wain-arrow
Matthews Edwin, blacksmith
Smith John, farmer & market gardener
Tannar Charles, New inn & butcher
Tidman Charles, grocer & baker
Waugh Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Magor farm
Wellington William George, corn & coal dealer
Williams Abelwood, farmer, Castle-coch
Williams Edward, mason
Williams John, farmer, grocer & corn dealer
Williams Matthew, farmer,Tythe farm
Wootton Mary Ann (Mrs.), Wheatsheaf inn & farmer