The Brecon and Merthyr and the Pontypridd, Caerphilly and Newport railways run through the parish, and there are two railway stations, one at ,Machen village and the other at Church road.
The church of St. Michael is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells. There are remains of a cross in the churchyard: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the Year 1670. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £272, with residence and 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Tredegar, and held since 1873 by the Rev. John Clere Scott Darby M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford.
St. John's chapel of ease, Upper Machen, is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and spire containing a clock and one bell, and has 300 sittings, all free. Charities producing £75 are distributed yearly.
Here are railway plant works, lime works, a manufactory for flannel and several collieries in the neighbourhood.
Lord Tredegar, who is lord of the manor, and Col. Ivor John Caradoc Herbert C.B., C.M.G. of Llanarth Court, are the principal landowners.
The soil is gravel and clay ; subsoil, limestone and coal. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and some land in pasture.
The area is:-
Lower Machen, 1,975 acres of land and 25 of water, rateable value, £1,717.
Upper Machen, 2,466 acres of land and 19 of water, rateable value, £5,398.
Rhydgwern (Glamorganshire), 714 acres of land and 8 of water, rateable value £489.
The population in 1891 was Machen (Upper), 1718 (of which 215 are included in Risca Urban District); Machen (Lower), 1,179 (of which 1,002 are included in Risca Urban District); and Rhydgwern, 275
Lower Machen, Upper Machen and Rhydgwern are hamlets in the parish of Machen; the last is in the county of Glamorgan.
Post, M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.
William Ebrill Edwards, sub-postmaster.
Letters from Newport arrive at 8 a.m. ; dispatched at 11.15 a.m. & 6.35 p.m. ; sunday, dispatched at 10.30 a.m.
Post Office, Lower Machen: George Young, sub-postmaster.
Letters arrive from Newport at 7.50 a.m.; dispatched at 8.5 a.m. & 5.5 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Machen is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 2 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, Chatham, cleared at 8.20 a.m. & 4.35 p.m. ; sundays, 10.35 a.m.
PLACES OF WORSHIP
with times of Services.
St. Michael's Church, Rev. John Clere Scott Darby M.A.rector; 11.30 a.rn. & 3.30 p.m.
St. John's Chapel of Ease, Upper Machen; 10 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Baptist (Siloam), Rev. David Owen Griffiths; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Calvinistic Methodist; no fixed services held
Congregational (Welsh & English), Rev. David Lloyd Williams. 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m. ; tues. & thurs 7.30 p.m.
Primitive Methodist Wesleyan; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.
A School Board of 7 members was formed 10 May, 1880, for the united district of Machen & Waenfawr, which comprises Upper & Lower Machen & Rhydgwern (Glam.); C. Dauncey, Tredegar, clerk to the board; John Potter, Machen, attendance officer.
Board School, erected in 1871, for 200 Children, enlarged in 1887 to hold 320; average attendance, 120 boys & 100 girls.
Griffith David Inkin, master; Mrs. Margaret Jones, mistress.
Board School (infants), erected in 1851, for 150 children; average attendance, 115.
Miss Annie Williams, mistress.
County Police station, Hiram James, constable in charge.
Machen: Walter Reid, station master.
Church Road: Thomas Price, station master
Allen Leah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Barnard Benj., M.B., C.M., physician
Barrett Louisa (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Beavis Joseph, farmer
Bowden Henry Chanter, Lewis Arms P.H.
Buckley Charles Samuel, Crown P.H
Coles George, shopkeeper
Davies & Lewis, colliery proprietors
Davies Elizabeth (Mrs.), Tradesmens' Arms P.H
Davies Gomer, shopkeeper & asst. overseer.
Davies Philip Rees, farmer, Panteg farm
Davies Richard, farmer, Craig-y-racca
Davies William H. grocer & draper
Dufield Charles, farmer, Llandanglons
Edwards William Ebrill, stationer, Post office
Evans Sarah Ann (Mrs.), boot maker
Greenhaf Thomas, greengrocer
Harrington Humphrey, Royal Oak P.H
Harris Alfred, farm bailiff to Frank Jones esq
Harper James, beer retailer
Hill Geo., shopkeeper, Crown st., Chatham.
Johns William, farmer, Park farm, Lower Machen
Jones Alfred, farmer, Glan-y-rafon
Jones Daniel Evans, flannel manufacturer
Jones Richard, draper
Jones Thos., blacksmith, Lower Machen
Kellow John, White Hart P.H
Lewis Lewis, farmer, Rhydygwern
Lewis Morgan, farmer, Blain-y-cwm
Machen Stone & Lime Co. (The), (Howell Watkins, manager.), Lower Machen
Maybray James, iron merchant
Meyrick Ernest, grocer & baker
Morgan Lewis, farmer, Blaencook farm
Potter John, linen draper
Price James, farmer & assistant over-seer, Rhydygwern
Pritchard Lemuel, farmer, Penylan
Roberts Cornelius, farmer, Ty Canol
Rogers Edward, farmer, Ysguborfach
Smith John, colliery proprietor, Bovill colliery
Stephen John, farmer
Stratton Frederick, farmer, Machen place, Lower Machen
Thomas Arthur, farmer, Nantycysha
Thomas John, Farmers' Arms P.H.
Thomas Mary Ann (Mrs.), Fwrrwm-Ishta P.H
Watkins Joseph, grocer, The Supply Stores
Woodruff T. P. & Co. iron & brass founders
Young George, grocer, Lower Machen
Young Thomas, assistant overseer, Lower Machen
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids