The Brecon and Abergavenny canal and the road from Abergavenny to Merthyr Tydfil both pass through the parish. The church of Saint Faith is in ancient building of small dimensions, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western bell gable with 2 bells. The windows are stained; one on the south side, of three lights, was placed by Mrs. Wheeley in memory of her father. The east window and two small ones in the chancel were erected by the neighbouring gentry to the memory of Crawshay Bailey esq., the great ironmaster of Nant-y-glo, who is buried here. A three-light window on the north side was given by his tenantry as a memorial to the same. The chancel was restored in 1877 by Crawshay Bailey esq., son of the above, and since, deceased. There are 80 sittings. In the chiirchyard are two ancient yew trees, and an ancient stone cross. The register dates from the year 1736.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value, £230, with residence and 45 acres of glebe, 27 acres being upland coppice. It is in the gift of the Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. and held since 1893 by the Rev. Frederick Young M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge.
A large brewery is carried on here by Mr. Edwards. Here are quarries of excellent stone for building, and limestone, coal and ironstone are found abundantly in the parish. The Blorenge Mountain, 1,720 feet high, runs through this parish. LIanfoist House is the residence of Matthew Wolstenholme esq., J.P.
The Marquess of Abergavenny K.G. who is lord of the manor, Lieut.-Col. William Henry Wheeley, of the Pentre, Abergavenny, Ferdinand P. J. Hanbury-Williams esq. of Nant-Oer, Abergavenny, Lieut.-Col. James S. Wheeley, of Abergavenny, and William Bailey Partridge esq. of Bacton, Hereford, are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, stone. The chief crops are pasture, wheat and oats. The area is 3,213 acres of land and 47 of water; rateable value, £3,016; the population in 1891 was 1,541 in the civil and 443 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Post office: James Williams, sub-postmaster.
Letters through Abergavenny, arrive at 6.30 a.m., dispatched at 5.10 p.m.; sundays, arrive at 6.45 a.m., dispatched at 10 a.m.
Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Abergavenny, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
A School Board of 5 members was formed 30 April, 1878. J. B. Walford, Abergavenny, clerk to the board.
Board School (mixed), erected 1872, & since enlarged, for 100 children: average attendance, 85.
George Herbert Dunn, master; Miss M. Walters, infants' mistress.
Edwards Charles, Brewery house
Edwards John Nesbitt Charles, The Laurels
Price Benjamin, Glan-nant-y-llan
William-Powlett Barton Newton Wallop, Pen-y-worlod
Wolstenholme Matthew J.P., Llanfoist House
Young Rev. Frederick, M.A. (rector), Dan-y-Blorenge
Barber Frederick, boat proprietor
Bird Benjamin, farmer, The Grove
Channing John, Llanfoist inn
Davies John, Waterloo inn
Denner Henry, farmer & cattle dealer, Llanfoist farm
Edwards Charles, wine & spirit merchant, maltster, ale and porter brewer, Llanfoist brewery
Edwards David Anthony, Bridge End Inn
Forty John, market gardener
Hughes Henry, farmer, Pen-y-Graig
Jeffreys Elizhabeth (Mrs.), market gardener
Jenkins John, farmer, Middle Ninfa
Morgan Roderick, haulier
Nicholls Thos., farmer, Castlepryddy
Powell Wm., farmer, Lower Llanfoist
Prosser William Joseph, New inn
Thomas Thomas, dairyman
Vaughan Herbert, dairyman
Williams David, shoe maker