The church of St. Helen is a building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells; there are 200 sittings. The church was repaired in 1840, and in 1891 was thoroughly restored. On the south wall in the church.yard is an ancient font of the Norman period, now converted into a sundial. The register dates from the year 1733.
The living is a vicarage, net yearly income £80, with residence and 15 acres of glebe, in the gift of Charles Kemeys-Tynte esq. and held since 189o by the Rev. Witham Davies Jones. There is a charity, left for the poor of the parish by Mrs. Mary Richards, who died in 1756, and to whom there is a monumental slab in the church.
On Glan Usk farm is an ancient barn formerly part of a mansion, and still containing some fine specimens of stucco work. The steps, semi-circular in shape, are formed of solid timbers; portions of the altar steps and a window are still remaining. A part of the Blorenge Mountain is within this parish.
The trustees of the late Lady Llanover and Charles Kemeys-Tynte esq. are lords of the, manor, and the principal landowners. The soil is loamy; subsoil, chiefly stone. The crops are wheat, oats and barley, with land in pasture. The area is 2,505 acres of bind and 22 of water; rateable value, £2,003; the population in 1891 was 311.
Parish Clerk, William Price.
Post office: Howell Moses, sub-postmaster.
Letters through Abergavenny arrive at 6.35 a.m.; dispatched at 5.10 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Abergavenny, 2 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Pillar Letter Box, Pontypool road, cleared at 4.45 p.m. week days only
National School (mixed), erected in 1861, & presented to the parish by Sir Thomas Phillips, whose tomb is in the churchyard, for 64 children; average attendance, 47.
Miss Pegg, mistress.
Brewer Edgar, Llanellen house
Jones Rev. Wm. Davies, Vicarage
Rees Capt. Richard Powell, J.P., Hoel Gerrig house
Durham George, farmer, The Park
Durham Thos., farmer, Twyn-Glas
Evans John, farmer, Upper Cwm
Francis Arthur, farmer
Haycock Charles, market gardener
Jacob Charles, farmer, Hollybush
James David, farmer, Green Court farm
James Edward, farmer, Glan Usk
James William, market gardener
James William, jun., rate collector, Beili-Glas
Jenkins Henry, farmer, Duffryn
Jenkins James, farmer, White house
Jenkins John, farmer, Craig-yr-havod
Jenkins John, farmer, Pentwyn
Jenkins John, market gardener, Beili-Glas house
Jenkins Sarah Arm (Mrs.), farmer, Graig-y-Cwm
Jenkins Thomas, farmer, Cefn-Y-Coed
Jones Wm., farmer, Upper Hoel Gerrig
Jones Charles, farmer, Malps farm
Jones Jas., farmer, Little Cefn-y-Coed
Jones William C., farmer, Pant farm
Moses Howell, blacksmith and Post Office
Powell Charlotte (Mrs.), farmer, Ocran farm
Price Daniel, market gardener, The Orchards
Price Stephen, miller(water), Ocran mill
Roberts Wm., farmer, Cwm-Celin
Rowley Joseph, market gardener, Beili-Glas
Smith Godfrey Raymond, farmer, Court farm
Tipton Margaret (Mrs.), coffee tavern
Walters Matthias, carpenter