Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF MONMOUTHSHIRE 1901 - LLANMARTIN & LLANDEVAUD
Kelly's Directory for Monmouthshire,1901
The proprietors trust that the present Edition of Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire may be found at least equal in accuracy to the previous ones. Every place in Monmouthshire, and every parish will again be found to be included in the book. The Letters M.O.O. and S.B. are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Money Order Office and Savings Bank.
LLANMARTIN & LLANDEVAUD


LLANMARTIN, with LLANDEVAUD, is a parish for civil purposes, but ecclesiastically are distinct, in the Southern division of the county, lower dvision of Caldicot hundred, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Newport, rural deanery of Caerleon, archdeaconry of Monmouth and diocese of Llandaff. Llanmartin is 2 miles north-west from Magor station on the South Wales section of the Great Western railway and 6 west from Newport.

The church of St. Martin, rebuilt in the year 1858, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell.

In a recess in the north wall of the chancel is an altar-tomb of the time of Henry VII, believed to have been erected to the first Sir Thomas Morgan, of Penycoed Castle. The brass with inscription is lost. There are 110 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1773; marriages, 1755.

The living is a rectory, with that of Wilcrick annexed, joint net yearly value, 155, with 30 acres of glebe, farms of 69 acres and residence, in the gift of Mrs. Perry-Herrick, and held since 1878 by the Rev. Richard Valpy French, D.C.L., of Wadham College, Oxford, and LL.D. of Trinity College, Dublin, F.S.A., canon of Llandaff and rural clean of Caerleon.

There is a Mission hall adjoining the churchyard and a Presbyterian chapel, recentlv restored.

Penycoed Castle, in this parish, is generally considered as the most ancient of the six castles of Wentwood Forest: this picturesque ruin consists chiefly of a circular arched gateway and two small pentagonal turrets, a round embattled tower and some dilapidated walls: the architecture of these fragments may be considered co-eval with the first establishment of the Normans in Gwent. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth, Sir Thomas Morgan K.G., lord of Llantarnam and Caerleon, resided here. The remains of the keep have for many years been used as a farmhouse.

Mrs. Perry-Herrick, of Beaumanor, Leicestershire, is lady of the manor and the principal landowner.

The soil is sandy; subsoil, red sandstone. The chief crops are grain and turnips and some pasture land. The area is 1,122 acres ; rateable value, 1,068 ; the population in 1891 was 139 in the ecclesiastical and 152 in the civil parish.

LLANDEVAUD is a hamlet, 1 miles north, on the road from Newport to Chepstow. The church of St. Peter, rebuilt on the site of an older structure in 1843, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: there are 105 sittings. The register dates from the year 1843. The living is a perpetual curacy, net yearly value 440, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1897 by the Rev. James Swinnerton. For civil parochial purposes this place is united with Llanmartin. The population in 1900 was 52.

Letters through Newport, via Magor, arrive at 9 a.m., dispatched 6 p.m., and the nearest money order & telegraph office is at Magor.

National Endowed School, Llandevaud (mixed), founded & endowed by the Rev. Lewis Jones,. perpetual curate of Llandevaud, in 1846 & enlarged in 1897, for 105 children; average attendance, 75. The school has an endowment of 19, derived from Consols. Henry W. Maskell, master.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
French Rev. Canon Richard Valpy D.C.L., LL.D., F.S.A. (rector & rural dean & examining chaplain), The Rectory
George Mrs., Woodbine cottage .
Swinnerton Rev. James (incumbent of Llandevaud), The Vicarage

COMMERCIAL
Duthie William, farmer, Ford farm
Haynes Arthur, farmer
Parry John, farmer, Court farm
Pugh John, farmer, Pencoed castle, Llandevaud
Pack Isaac, stone mason
Rees Samuel, wheelwright
Reese John, farmer, Church farm
Rosser Ebenezer Edward, farmer, Llandevaud farm
Williams Benjamin, baker, Llandevaud.


dex