The church of St.Tegfydd is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, western porch and a belfry containing 2 bells. The church, supposed to have been built between 1150 and 1250, was rebuilt on its old lines by voluntary contributions in 1875-6, at a cost of £850. The ancient door and windows were replaced in the new walls, and the structure, excepting the chancel arch, was restored as nearly as could be ascertained to its original form. The east end, which is apparently of much later date, was not rebuilt: the chancel arch was erected as a memorial to John James, of this parish, and Sarah his wife, who died in 1859: there are several monuments to the families of Meyrick, of Lansoar, Ambrose, of Wain-y-pwll, Perrott, of Court Perrott, and to former rectors: there are 80 sittings. The registers date from the year 1746.
The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectoryof Llanthewy Vach, tithe rent-charge £215, average £140. Joint gross yearly value £292, net £189, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and Albert Addams-williams esq. of Llangibby alternately, and held since 1886 by the Rev. William Addams Williams Evans M.A. of St. John's College, Oxford, who resides at Llanthewy Vach.
Lansoar House, the former seat of the Meyrick family, is now occupied by Herbert Percy Davies Phillips esq. There are also several ancient farmhouses, formerly the residences of old and substantial families.
John Capel Hanbury esq. of Pontypool and Albert Addams-Williams esq. are lords of the manor. The principal landowners are A. Addams-Williams esq., the Lansoar trustees and Digby and Blethin Nicholl esqrs. The soil is clay; subsoil, marly. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and grass land The area is 789 acres ; rateable value, £737; the population in 1891was 76.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Edwards.
Letters through Caerleon, Newport, arrive at 8.30 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Llangibby, about 2½ miles distant
The children of this parish attend the school at Coedyaen Llangibby.
PRIVATE & COMMERCIAL
Edwards Arthur L., Wain-y-Pwll
Phillips Herbert Percy Davies, Lansoar house
Harris Arthur, blacksmith
Jones Wm. carpenter & wheelwright
Morgan William, farmer, Walnut free
Phillips David, farmer, Court Perrott & Pen-y-lan
Thomas John, farmer, The Buildings
Williams John, shopkeeper